PDA

View Full Version : RE-gearing from 3.21 to 4.10 ???

marno
21-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi All,
been doing a bit of reading about the gearing on the 6 speed manual sport, which is 3.21. I am picking mine up pretty soon, and it's a worry to hear that many in the US think the 3.21 gearing sux. Sounds like its not great at all for city/highway driving, and when looking at getting bigger tyres performance can be heavily affected and drive like a dog.
I should probably say that I know next to nothing about cars, but it sounds like it is worth looking into getting it re-geared to 4.10.

Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on what this actually would involve??
Any ideas on -
1. Do you have to order the parts from the US?
2. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get a mechanic to do the work?
3. Would it void warranty?
4. What sort of difference would you actually notice going from 3.21 to 4.10??, what does it actually do?? (sorry guys, like I said I know bugger all about cars, but trying to learn!!).

Any help would be massively appreciated, cheers.
marno.

millhouse
21-06-2007, 11:34 AM
most diff lapping places can do the work for you,
4.10 would be a waste of money and will not make much difference I'd go 4.88 at least esp if you plan on running
33" or higher tyre size,

save up the pennies and put a locker in at the same time as it will prob cost you around $4000 either way!!

so you might be better opting for a rubicon model!!!

acetj
21-06-2007, 05:31 PM
i run 33" with 3.21 if thats what the are. it would not pull the skin off a rice custard... not happy with it a all but since i am going to tow with it i am going with around 4.56... jeeps in the states get 4.10 when the put on a tow bar from the factory, not some thing the dealerships are doin here.. talk to wooders on the forum or a company i think called precission gear..

marno
21-06-2007, 05:46 PM
i run 33" with 3.21 if thats what the are. it would not pull the skin off a rice custard... not happy with it a all but since i am going to tow with it i am going with around 4.56... jeeps in the states get 4.10 when the put on a tow bar from the factory, not some thing the dealerships are doin here.. talk to wooders on the forum or a company i think called precission gear..

Cheers for the response. How much diiference did you notice going from the stock to the 33"s ?? Was it kinda reasonable with the 3.21 and stock wheels before doing the changeover, and then just went real slow after???, or was it also pretty garbage to start with anyway?

I'm just trying to get a good understanding of what I can expect, although I'm looking to go to 265/75/r16's, which are not quite 32" I think, so perhaps there might not be such a dramatic affect as with the 33's you have.
And, what sort of $$ ballpark do you expect to be looking at to change to 4.56??? Cheers mate.

acetj
22-06-2007, 08:16 AM
it was not great to start with but i did less than 600km in stock form so the engine was still very tight..i need to give it a few more revs now to get it moving off the line. the jk is still great up the bush in low range, i use third a lot up the bush when in 4low. price on lockers are about 1300 each plus compressor and some labour so add about a 1000 for them, new gears i would exspect? 500 each so all up 4500.00. if you are only going to do high way goes i dont know if i would change for the cost. but you need to be happy with getting overtaken and not being able to over take.. if you want more power to do this start looking at power upgrades such as power chips and or bolt on bits as they may be a bit cheaper and can be un-plugged prior to going back to the dealership for any warranty/service work.

Bert
22-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi All,
been doing a bit of reading about the gearing on the 6 speed manual sport, which is 3.21. I am picking mine up pretty soon, and it's a worry to hear that many in the US think the 3.21 gearing sux. Sounds like its not great at all for city/highway driving, and when looking at getting bigger tyres performance can be heavily affected and drive like a dog.
I should probably say that I know next to nothing about cars, but it sounds like it is worth looking into getting it re-geared to 4.10.

Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on what this actually would involve??
Any ideas on -
1. Do you have to order the parts from the US?
2. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get a mechanic to do the work?
3. Would it void warranty?
4. What sort of difference would you actually notice going from 3.21 to 4.10??, what does it actually do?? (sorry guys, like I said I know bugger all about cars, but trying to learn!!).

Any help would be massively appreciated, cheers.
marno.

You should check this website out: http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm has heaps of info on gearing, tyre sizes etc. was a great help to me!

gears can be ordered from here: www.quadratec.com

looking at the graph you would want a ratio of around 4.56 or 4.88 to run 32'' - 33'' inch tyres, as others have stated it would be a waste only going to 4.10. the prices on quadratec.com don't vary at all when buying 4.10 compared to 4.88 etc. hope this helps.

marno
22-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Cheers Bert !!!

silver_jk
22-06-2007, 09:12 PM
or i say buy a rubicon they have the 4.10 gears standard & loccas to boot all for a measley 6 grand + there "factory backed" :)

just my 2c worth

acetj
23-06-2007, 08:32 AM
i will be keen to see how long theses factory lockers keep working for.. the a a very complicated peice of engineering.. lots of other factorys don have much luck. thats the only resone i did not buy a reno.

marno
25-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Buying a Rubicon is not really an option as I have already bought a Sport, just waiting for delivery.

It really does sound from the guys in the US that re-gearing to 4.10 (if going to a 32" tyre) is the way to go for mostly highway/city with a bit of 4x4 driving, but does anyone have any idea about how re-gearing could affect the warranty??????
cheers.

silver_jk
25-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Buying a Rubicon is not really an option as I have already bought a Sport, just waiting for delivery.

It really does sound from the guys in the US that re-gearing to 4.10 (if going to a 32" tyre) is the way to go for mostly highway/city with a bit of 4x4 driving, but does anyone have any idea about how re-gearing could affect the warranty??????
cheers.

what ever you change they (jeep) won't cover