PDA

View Full Version : Cape York 2007

Lushy
23-07-2007, 03:11 AM
A mate and I are planning a trip to the Cape next year, anyone intereseted in Joining us?

Basics: Melb - Bourke - Winton - Cairns - Cape York Tip.

Cost : As a passenger I am allowing $5,000 with $1,300 my share of diesel.

Good Points: We plan the trip you tagalong and help each other if we get in the shite.:D
This is for 2008

Lushy
28-07-2007, 12:34 AM
We are very serious about this trip so if you want to do the trip of a lifetime this it, as we will be casual about daily running but the planning must be done well in advance to get the best out of drivers and be able to tackle the roads up north.

wallaby
29-07-2007, 09:38 PM
When in 2008? I am picking up a JK 4 door in a few weeks I hope (first time 4wd. Am intending to do the Savannah way in 2008 ? August - Sept. Originally intended taking the Magna S/Wagon + camping trailer, which I have taken along the Birdsville track (pulling a caravan); the Strezelecki track (with c/trailer); Oodnadatta Track; Mungo Nat. Park etc.. It would not be that far off the intended itinerary to try the Cape York thing. Are women allowed?

Lushy
30-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Mid July mate and of course both sexes are allowed

lovemewrangler
01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Ive done the Savannah way its bloody awsome, the country changes so quickly, stop in at karumba in the gulf bloody awsome fishing spot, water temp was 27 degrees in winter, 35 degrees in summer, i have also done the cape, you dont want to take women trust me, all though it can lonely up there, id rather have a pull then listen to em whinge on the corrigated roads all the way up to the cape and back.

Gildo
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Is that why the men up there always have a dog or 2 around?

wallaby
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
My initial intention was to take about 10 days to go from Melbourne to Darwin via the Tanami Track (road, really) and then to scoot along the top over about 10 days to do the Savannah way as far as Cairns. Give or take a cupla days over each section. Neither of these tracks are difficult and can be done in a two wheel drive. This would be done towing a heavy duty camping trailer built by yours truly. I imagine that the Cape York bit would be the most difficult once you get north of Cooktown (1770) and I guess it would take about 10 -12 days return, barring SNAFUs along the way. I would leave the trailer at Cooktown and use a tent for this section. Then its home through the guts of Qld, NSW, Vic. This can be done in late July - August for me and I reckon 30 days should be anough time. What do you think? Am I out in my reckoning, anyone?

12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
you could do it but a lot of driving time not that much relaxing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lushy
17-08-2007, 01:39 PM
New update of departure is 3 Aug 08

wallaby
17-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Re the Cape York trip: what itinerary are you intending to follow. The Cape via Bourke etc as you have planned is probably a bit pussy - most of it is bitumen. I reckon via the Tanami is the way to go although some would say that the Tanami Track is also a bit of a pussy. It would not take that much more in fuel and money and would be a more interesting (and longer) trip. Also, the Savannah Way is supposed to be awesome. You can pick this route up about 400 clicks south of Darwin if you didn't want to visit there. Too much of an opportunity to drink too much piss there. Also there is an option to bypass Cairns and scoot up the west coast of the Cape, I think.
I am still keen and August 3rd sounds about right. Whichever way, you have to watch out for these :0=

Lushy
18-08-2007, 07:03 AM
I think you are missing the point, we are departing from Melbourne so it would be a bloody way round via the tanami from here mate, we plan to scoot up to Cairns as quick as possible say arrive there on about the 7th Aug 08 spend two days servicing the Surf then head north via Cooktown and spend about 4 weeks on exploring the Cape, then back to Cairns and home as quick as possible via Millmerran in SE Qld for a couple of days delousing with my inlaws then 2-3 days home back here in victoria - we have time constraints owing to work so we want this to be a CAPE trip.
You can do all the side stuff as much as you like and fit in with us when you can - this gives you freedom to do what you want and still be support to each other along the way when we get into the OTL properly.
Lushy

Lushy
18-08-2007, 07:05 AM
We will be going to Wiepa - but most of the side trips so far will mainly on the east coast of the Cape - lakefield NP, Billys landing ect ect.
Lushy

lovemewrangler
18-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey mate,

If you havent enough time i suggest you fly to cairns and hire a car, take your time on the cape trip and the fly back from cairns. last time i went via winton and stayed up in karumba for a couple of days (the fishing was too good). It took us 4 days to get from Port macquarie to Karumba, and 4 days back, thi is 8 more days you could spend up there. Its not everyday you get to go to the cape, dont come back thinking "i wish i had more time up there". Its probably better to wreck a hire troopy then your Jeep anyway. Just my thought, good luck with it : )