PDA

View Full Version : Cairns

two dogs
15-09-2007, 08:38 PM
hey guys-moving to cairns in december- anybody know some good wheelin spots close by? cant wait to get up there and do some exploring- dont know a soul up there but always up for a run if anyones keen? cheers!

JEEPCHIK
17-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Good to hear.Tracks for exploring:?: There's a few good ones up here unfortunately we are fighting to keep them open:wall: But we will win.There are some good tracks up behind Mareeba and Herberton, with varying degrees of difficulty.Mainly all rocks and bulldust, but there are plenty of interesting hillclimbs to conquer.Best advise I can think of is when you get come along to Cairns 4wd club meeting and talk to people who know the area well.

Oh, almost forgot.There is of course Creb track to check out when you get here:D

two dogs
21-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Hey thanks for the info, will definatly come to one of the meetings once i get up there-look forward to it. Thanks again. oh and whats this creb track that ur talking about?

JEEPCHIK
21-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey thanks for the info, will definatly come to one of the meetings once i get up there-look forward to it. Thanks again. oh and whats this creb track that ur talking about?

Creb track is one of those tracks that when it's dry you can drive a Rav4 along, but when it rains a Unimog maybe more appropriate.It follows the powerlines north of Daintree village through some ranges(can't remember the name),takes you through damp rainforest and out onto dry woodlands.Lots of great camping spots along the way and some beautiful water falls to look at aswell.:) This track is pretty steep in spots and many vehicles have come to greif try to get out.It can be a major rescue operation to get 4wd's out when it's wet.:wall: It's normally a track that visitor drive on the up to the cape.

two dogs
21-09-2007, 11:10 AM
sounds sick!pretty crazy in the wet huh? might have to get some overtime shifts happening and get that front locker finally put in! the camp sites sound pretty good, just doing up a 5x3 offroad trailer for camp trips- hopefully finished by the time i get there.Hey, does the 4wd club up there have a web site?

JEEPCHIK
21-09-2007, 02:05 PM
We sure do it's:www.cairns4wdclub.org.

If I knew how to use a computer properly I would add it as a clicky thingy.But I don't,it's just all too confusing:confused:

two dogs
21-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey i checked out the club site- looks pretty good and like a heap of fun but didnt see many jeeps or young people in the photos and trip reports.Do many members have jeeps?not that it matters much but its always good driving with other cheros and wranglers. Cheers for all the info!

Barefoot
21-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey two dogs :D

I'm up the road in Mossman/Port Douglas,come say hi when yer up here :D

Check here too -

http://www.nqjeepclub.org.au/

two dogs
22-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Will do, really stoked to see that there are so many jeepers up there. Counting the days now- its gonna be a bit of a shock to the system getting there at the start of the wet season though, i reckon the A/C is gonna get a good workout this summer!

JEEPCHIK
24-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey i checked out the club site- looks pretty good and like a heap of fun but didnt see many jeeps or young people in the photos and trip reports.Do many members have jeeps?not that it matters much but its always good driving with other cheros and wranglers. Cheers for all the info!

Yeah there aren't many jeeps in the club.There's me in my Tj,on old CJ 5(I think) and that's about it.Young people in the club are as rare as hens teeth:-( ,which shits me to tears:cry: :cry: The youngest people(that drive) is me and some other dude who's 19 (I think) and he drives a 75 series Tojo.I have tried everything I can think of to more youger people in the club but it just ain't happening:wall: But the group of people in the club are great and there is lots of healthy rivalry.

As BF did say there is a jeep owners club up here but they do very little off roading and their idea of camping is in a 4 star cabin.But I guess it's up to the individual.The Cairns 4wd club does at least 2 trips a month, be it a day trip or overnight trip depends on the time of year.But you are more then welcome to come along to a meeting.I'm at every one, so see you there:)

two dogs
25-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah it sux that there are`nt more young people in alot of the clubs and i really think that it has alot to do with the fact that the majority of people are older with families etc. Alot of my friends wont go into clubs for fear of interupting a family event by being young and doing the silly stupid stuff that you do when ur that age. i mean no offence to the older club members as they have a wealth of knowlede and expierience to pass on but .... there is alot to be said for hanging out and having fun with people of ur own age. having said that i quite enjoy the company of older people but at the end of the day a good mix would make any trip alot more enjoyable.i will definatly check out the meetings when i get up there- so count me in for a beer or two and a chat. ;)

two dogs
03-01-2008, 08:38 AM
finally moving north to cairns on monday!!!!woohoo!!!if theres anyone going for a run in the next few weeks id love to tag along as i have absolutly no idea on where anything is! gonna check out the clubs in the near future but if anyone is keen for a run and a rum, give us a hoy!:D :D :D :D

marcopiat
15-01-2008, 06:57 AM
As Barefoot mentioned, touch base with Derek (Secretary) at the North Queensland Jeep Club www.nqjeepclub.org.au and consider joining up. It's a young club that needs new members. I'm a member and also take care of the club's website.

JEEPCHIK
15-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Great! We need more jeeps in Cairns.The Cairns 4wd club are having the first trips meeting of the year on Sunday, so we will be working out all the trips for this year.A run you say, sounds like fun.Lots of mud around:) :) And yes most of the tracks arwe still open, but I don't have a winch and I would be trying too many tracks without one up here.But will probably be going on run on Aussie day long weekend with club.

If you want to come along to the trips meeting this weekend, pm me.It is very casual and you will get to know what our club has to offer.Maybe check out a few tracks along the way:)

two dogs
16-01-2008, 12:23 PM
hey, unfortunatly gotta work this sunday(spewin) but will have plenty of time off once i get my shifts sorted out at work and will be keen as to come along to the next meets. Just moved into the new house and have no internet yet but should get it organised later in the week. been going flat out but will keep in touch- cheers!:hammer: