PDA

View Full Version : ox lockers

Shorey
27-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Guys
Just wanted to know if anyone on "ausjeep" has OX LOCKER from the U.S fitted to there JEEP are you happy with this type of locker or are you un-happy with the OX LOCKER ?
Please let me know eather way !
Shorey

JarrardB
27-08-2008, 11:04 PM
pezz.... search for pezz

OzAdventure4x4
28-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi Shorey,

We are now the Australian dealer for OX lockers and will be fitting the first set of OX JK lockers in Aust next week. **)

TJ and Cherokee OX lockers are already available, the JK ones should also be right to go in the next couple of weeks once I've confirmed their correct fitment.

I'm pretty sure Pezz is a happy Jeep camper with his OX (Pezz I am right aren't I!) - they are said to be strongest differentials on the market and are made from the best materials for the job, utilizing a forged and billet processes.

BTW, there is also now an air actuated version available too! :)

Details of pricing etc will be up on our site in the next day or so.

Cheers,

MR EXTREME JEEP
28-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Is that a solonoid sticking out of the hat?
Looks like its waiting to get ripped off.
I have heard Pezz ishappy with his but I really dont like that fitting one bit.
Cheers

robbo1959
28-08-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm with you EJ I was looking at these to put on my JK but after seeing this maybe I will have to go back to ARB.

Damm shame because they have a good write up,but I won't spend that amount of money just to have something ripped off through poor design.

OIIIO
28-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that thing hanging out is the optional air kit.
Normally they use a cable to lock/unlock, and don't have the zit hanging off the diff centre.

OzAdventure4x4
28-08-2008, 07:43 AM
It is indeed the optional air kit fitted to the picture I posted up, ordinarily the cable is attached at the same point.

The air kit is completely optional - the original cable actuation is still the main method of engagement. Cost wise, air or cable it'll be the same price.

BTW, OX is currently working on a guard for the air kit bit should someone want to go that way.

Laz
28-08-2008, 08:34 AM
OX's - Simple - reliable - no diff shop has ever seen one (so you pay for the install.....more than an arb!)

Only one hassle since I fitted em (years ago) - melted the rear control cable on the exhaust.

Would I fit em again? Nah - the solid cables are a PITA + everyone knows/supports (the group I love to hate) - ARB -(BECAUSE I still remember installing the damn cables, once you work out how to adjust them you never do anything for them again..except keep them away from the exhaust...)

Cpage66
29-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Love my OX in the D30...

OzAdventure4x4
29-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Details: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=889453#post889453 :D

starter
29-08-2008, 04:47 PM
hi....
just found this thread..

i have the ox cable locker in my d30..

the cable is tucked in alot better than that air junk...

i would never go for a air setup with any diff lock(unless i was competing in a winch challenge style event) as there are to many parts to rely on.. air lines, compressor, wiring, switchs, air input/filter

setting up the ox was simple.. install the diff center as per normal and then it's just a simple cable adjustment..

the biggest thing with it is make sure you route you cable in a well thought out location. i sleeved my cable with some pushlock hose for extra protection/heat shielding.

i always inspect my cable when i do a pre and post trip check

would i buy one again? for the front.... YES,
for the rear? detroit auto locker or a spool for me

as far as selectable lockers go i like the no fuss simplicity of it. however if i were in a winch challenge comp i wouldnt go for the cable locker as it is slower to get you hand onto than a toggle switch, but my jt will only ever be a trail rig so this isnt a drama for me

robbo1959
29-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm starting to like what I am reading so far about these lockers and that there is a shield protection for them...so Phil do you have a price on them and who can be able to fit them in the Melbourne area?

OzAdventure4x4
29-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm starting to like what I am reading so far about these lockers and that there is a shield protection for them...so Phil do you have a price on them and who can be able to fit them in the Melbourne area?

Robbo1959 - details including pricing located at: http://ozadventure4x4.com.au/node/54 ;)

Fitment wise you just need to find someone who knows how to set up differentials (correct backlash etc!)

ian
29-08-2008, 08:17 PM
that air line set up is crazy.. would only last 30 seconds on a good trail. nice heavy cast steel cover......and that pos alloy thing sticking out asking to be snaped off..lol......... 10 points to the dood that did the r&d on that one

Laz
30-08-2008, 07:56 AM
During the install of mine, the front (d30) splined section that the axle mates into on the passengar side was out of spec (You couldnt push the axle in) so the diff shop that fitted them (wow - never seen of these before...) had them sent to an engineering workshop to have a splined section englarged marginally to allow for the axle to fit normally.

While i accept that from time to time when you buy products that things don't always go together all that well - the response from the distributer (not the one in this thread) was - get a block of wood and a big hammer... Yeah right - so explain to me dumbarse how I can change a busted axle without a workshop in the future (you'd need serious tools to remove something that works in the ferous press fit range).

The diff shop said (apart from the machine tolerance) that he liked them better than the air lockers, because of what Pezz said - no fuss - simple - even if you melted a cable you could just use a bolt to hold the locker open to get the rig home. Lots of folks with ARB's were having problems when I got mine, but that also means lots of people (and diff shops) have seen one before... you don't have to pay for thier learning curve.

DIY
28-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Very tough heavy locker. Installed them my self and have never had a problem with them, mainly because they are so simple. The only thing I didn’t like was all the machining swarf on them when I pulled them out of the box, but other than that they have been pushing around 37s for 6 years problem free. When deciding on what cable length u want get a couple meters of that big thick cb radio cable as it has around the same flexibility. I wouldn’t go air, u gain nothing and just end up with more things to go wrong. The diff hat is also 1/2" thick and has a drain and fill hole in it. Aswell as the 2 lockers I also ran there ujoints, another very solid piece of gear.