At last after market rims located 17x8 +30 [Archive] - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

PDA

View Full Version : At last after market rims located 17x8 +30

08crd
02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
After several false leads I have located after market steel wheels that will allow the fitting of 265 X 70 X 17" all terrain tyres on the Commander. They are supplied by Dynamic Wheels in Bayswater, Melbourne Ph 0397204545 Chris or Scott have the details but they are 17 X 8 with +30 offset and 5/127 stud pattern. I will be ordering mine in the new year.**)

multihull
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Great News, I look forward to an update when you have them fitted to see how much clearance you have around your discs and front upper ball joint bolt.

GPCDR
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
After several false leads I have located after market steel wheels that will allow the fitting of 265 X 70 X 17" all terrain tyres on the Commander. They are supplied by Dynamic Wheels in Bayswater, Melbourne Ph 0397204545 Chris or Scott have the details but they are 17 X 8 with +30 offset and 5/127 stud pattern. I will be ordering mine in the new year.**)

Are these locally made, would like to see some photo's.

08crd
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know if they are locally made, that would be nice but I bet they are made in China. However there is a picture on their website (dynamic wheels).I don't think they are that attractive, however they will fit a 265 X 65 with no rubbing issues which makes it a very good size for outback touring(same as Prado and Pajero). When I fitted a 265 X 70 there was only very slight rubbing on the drivers side plastic inner fender guard. The +30 offset is probably the best compromise rim as it keeps the track legal and fits the maximum tyre size with the 50mm lift.

Chumby
06-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Do you know the backspacing? Do you have a link?

Looks like they may be a goer or the WJ as well....

Cheers
Chumby

08crd
06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't know the backspacing but when fitted it moves the inner rim edge approx 10mm further away from the upper control arm. With a Procomp 265 x 70 AT tyre I could fit my fingers between the tyre edge and the upper control arm bolt. Therefore i would say rubbing on the bolt is not going to be an issue. The website is www.dynamictyres.com.au

CRDSTU
09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
They look ugly as hell and are basically a 1970's Australian "Sunrasier" wheel...yuk!

Look for someone who can get you some Cragar Soft 8's - they are the go if you want a decent black steelie.

Chumby
09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
The Cragars dont have the right offset though CRDSTU... thats the problem...

Cheers
Chumby

08crd
10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Who cares what they look like, run two sets of tyres offroad on the steels and onroad on the original mags. The steels make it a lot easier when using tyre pliers and will take a hell of a lot more punishment. Also at approx $130 each it doesn't add a lot of cost, mags are going to set you back about $300 each just to look good in the middle of nowhere. I suppose it depends if you do a lot of offroading or not.:?:

Wanderer
22-12-2009, 10:37 AM

I'd be interested also...Beaurepaires here have got onto a 17x8 +30mm steel for me and I asked them to get one in for a test fit..They have 2 styles in either white or black...I'm going for the black so what patterns and colours are yours 08crd??

Here is a good Backspacing and Offset Calculator (http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp).....Produces a nice image with all measurements and indicates if it'll clear suspension etc.

Also I've found out via Jeep News Now (http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/news/)Commander sales in the US are up and helping pull Chrysler out of the "you know what" so why the plans to can it...maybe they'll have rethink??

CRDSTU
01-01-2010, 08:36 AM
The Cragars dont have the right offset though CRDSTU... thats the problem...

Cheers
Chumby

Fair enough but you should be able to order the right ones out of the States froma Distributor?

What about the 17" JK Rubicon Rims? They should be a decent bolt on fit with a little more offset yes? I know they put them on the WH Grands all the time and the WJ's for that matter.

Wanderer
01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Fair enough but you should be able to order the right ones out of the States froma Distributor?

What about the 17" JK Rubicon Rims? They should be a decent bolt on fit with a little more offset yes? I know they put them on the WH Grands all the time and the WJ's for that matter.

BlueC tried JK rims on his Commander and had problems with scraping on the calipers I think...Last I knew he had the rims up for sale...Now his Commander as well...He's had enough of no aftermarket gear for it so he's gone over to the 'Dark Side" & bought a Disco 3....I can contact him if anyone is interested in the rims or any custom made gear he's taken off.

Wheelsboyz (http://www.wheelboyz.com/shop/) import just about any American brand. +30mm offset is common for the Commander.. But with any of them watch their markup....Most rims are cheap in the States and even with freight you could probably land them here for less than going via an importer...The Advantage of going with an Australian agent is warranty issues. The other thing to be careful is don't go for less then +25mm or you will exceed State laws on max wheel track change. Most have a limit of 25mm total increase...I think 08crd got onto some rims (+20mm) that on spec seemed to be the go but on test fitting they fouled the calipers. The supplier machined them but couldn't take enough take enough off to clear then went cold on the idea.

08crd may reply to this thread but he's in hospital after major surgery so may not for some time.

08crd
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Wanderer, home at last complete with new knee and a hell of a lot of pain that comes for free with it. Anyway to get on subject, you have covered the issues involved, the brake caliper and the wheel track difference. This whole wheel issue has been a real pain in the arse and Jeep should have done something about it in the design phase it is the most talked about subject on all the Commander forums around the world. but maybe that is why they went broke,they don't listen.
Anyway for what it is worth here are my findings upto now.
As was stated earlier the problem with bigger wheels are clearing the front brake caliper( 1. front face projects forward a long way and 2. the physical circumferance makes it hard to find a mag rim that the caliper doesn't rub on the inside).
The second problem is the offset this again is a two fold problem 1. It is an uncommon offset(even the Grand doesn't use it) so there are limited selection of rims and 2. There is limited room under the front wheel arch which is further constrained by the upper control arm ball joint position. From my findings the first thing required is a 50mm lift to give resonable tyre clearance vertically. Then the offset comes into play as it is what moves the tyre away from the upper control arm bolt. As wanderer has stated there are state laws which pertain to legal track chages, but even if you don't worry about the legal side of it the physical constraints come into play anyway.
The rear of the front tyre sits fairly close to the firewall side of the wheel arch. Therefore when you turn the wheel the edge of the tyre gets closer to the plastic wheel liner near the drivers footwell. This problem becomes more pronounced as you go to larger diameter tyres and is even worse when you move the rim further out. From trying a few wheel combinations I have come to the conclusion that the only practical size rim that is available is a 17 x8 with+30 offset.
Next try to find a 17 x 8 +30 offset that clears the brake caliper. I have only been able to come up with the Dynamic steel wheels, which aren't very attractive and only come in black(they will change the colour for $20 ea). However i will check out Beaurepairs to see what Wanderer has found. To get a set of mags in from U.S I have been quoted $375 each, which I am not prepared to fork out, i would rather stay with standard. However a steel wheel costing $ 130 will allow me to run a set of 265 X 70's when doing the offroad thing. Then run standard 245 X 65 on the standard rim when towing the caravan which I find with the gearing gives it great fuel economy and overtaking power.
Anyway thats my thoughts. If someone can come up with another rim let me know before I get back on my feet and spend my money.

Wanderer
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
08crd...Glad to see your on the mend after a long painful stay in hospital.
Beaurepaire??..I'll get onto them next week when they recovered from the festivities and find out what's happening with the steels.

As you say +30mm appears to be the most common offset for the Commander..Here are some sites that advertise them:

Wheelfire (http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/WheelSearch.cfm?VehicleMake=Jeep&VehicleModel=Commander)
Auto truck (http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_commander/Jeep-Commander-Wheels-and-Accessories-C3368.aspx)
American Racing (http://www.americanracing.com/appguide/index.asp) (Need to search index for Commander wheels..Some nice rims)
Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resultsA.jsp?autoMake=Jeep&autoModel=Commander+Limited&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&sort=Price)

Wheelboyz or ProComp will probably import them but as you say...At a cost.

4WD.COM
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?