PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor amperage draw - does it matter.

gj0424
19-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi,

Thinking of buying this air compressor:

PROJECTA TYPHOON
Plastic extruded carry case, twin cylinder, two large air cleaners, sand tray, 1.8-metre power lead, 6-metre coiled hose with gauge, 150psi claimed max pressure, in line fuse, 600w motor.

I have seen the overlander compressor comparison and this compressor performs better then the twin tongue, bush ranger, big red, etc, and at a much cheaper cost.

BUT... the max amperage draw for this compressor is 45 amps and I have noticed other compressors typically have a max draw of around 30 amps. Does this matter? Will this cause a problem connected to my 04 Grand Cherokee? What are the pros/cons of a higher amperage draw?

I plan to use it simply for occasionally pumping up the tyres.

Thanks in advance!

TassieMav
19-01-2010, 05:11 PM
No pros and cons really just facts.

Higher Current draw = Drain battery quicker, need's HD Cable, needs large Fuse/CB.

45AMP is a HUGE draw for a Compressor........

J Dingo
19-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Mav is right, that's massive draw for a compressor...

I cant honestly offer a view on your particular brand model, as I've never used one.

What I can say is I picked up a ARB under bonnet on-board compressor for $250. I'm a huge beach enthusiast, so I use that bitch all the time :p

If tires are all you using it for, I personally recommend ARB. But that's just my opinion.

http://www.arb.com.au/resources/images/products/compressors/CKMA12_main.jpg

;)

MCJK
19-01-2010, 07:23 PM
it's Max 45amp more than likely at 150psi and up around the higher pressures and when the motor begins to get Hot, you would find the amperage to be lower at the lower pressures as the motor isn't working as hard.

Milesy
19-01-2010, 07:33 PM
as long as you got the alternater spinning. my alt is 117 amp i own the same compressor and it pumps hard just keep your motor going

andyperth
19-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I have an ARB pump in the plastic box so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle and i am very pleased with it . It works all the time and seems faster than most.

Macca2801
19-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I have the same compressor and it rocks...it is very high current draw so make sure the leads etc are in good nick and connected well. Apart from that the current draw will not effect a running vehicle battery storage.

I did run it side by side the new ARB one and it killed me by about a minute over all 4 tyres. Funny since the Typhoon usually kills all my mates compressors and kills my old ARB one.

I guess it depends on price.

Matt.

reyzor
20-01-2010, 07:25 AM
45 amps would be the max current draw that it and all it wiring is rated to... proably a bit of saftey factor... just keep your engine running when using it and as previously said, make sure your connections and leads are in good nick..

Gildo
20-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Amperage draw isn't that important as long as you can supply it constantly.
If the electric motor is efficiently using that much current to turn an efficient compressor pump and you have the correct wiring and fusing to keep it safe you should be fine.
BUT it does seem like a lot of power to use.
If the motor is 600 watts as stated, then you will be drawing 50 amps @ 12V.

Interesting that they say 45 Amps. You would need to be supplying a constant 13.3 V to not blow a fuse. If you had any more than 1.3V drop from the battery, then the current draw will go over 50 amps.
What is the rating of the fuse?

gj0424
20-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Hmmm not sure. How would I find out?

For anyone that is interested, this link has a chart with the results of a comparison of a number of different air compressors. You'll see the Typhoon performs as good as the (much) more expensive brands.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/73544/projecta_air_compressor_storm-_worth_it.aspx

I'm still toying with the idea of getting an ARB, but can't justify spending twice the money to get the same performance when I'll only be using it a few times a year! As long as it will run okay with the Jeep Grand I'll go and get one!

Jeeps
20-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Remember the ARB one has a 2 year warranty. I've been running one of those 'new' ARB ones since they first came out a few years ago for my lockers and for airing up.

cheers

Pipeliner
21-01-2010, 06:44 AM
There is only one number that is important in a compressor spec and that is the litres/minute. Compressors that offer a high flow rate (90-100 litres/min) will also have a higher power consumption by default, unless the manufacturer has managed to improve the efficiency. Too many cheap compressors proudly state that they can achieve 150psi - who cares? How many tyres need that sort of pressure?

When we went away last Sept most of us had 72 l/m compressors (TJM etc) but one fellow, new to offroading, had been sold a "suitable" compressor by a local store and it only put out 40 l/m. He got very frustrated every time we had to air up!

Wooders
21-01-2010, 06:57 AM
There is only one number that is important in a compressor spec and that is the litres/minute. Compressors that offer a high flow rate (90-100 litres/min) will also have a higher power consumption by default, unless the manufacturer has managed to improve the efficiency. Too many cheap compressors proudly state that they can achieve 150psi - who cares? How many tyres need that sort of pressure?

Agree - but its the flow at specific pressure that's the real measure of a good compressor.
Some compressors have a fair CFM at 0 PSI, but it drops off quickly as the pressure climbs.
Current draw shouldn't be an issue for most people - but if the draw is high it's best to remember to keep the engine running so that the compressor keeps full speed.

josh9465
21-01-2010, 09:29 AM
whats interesting to see in the below chart is that flow rates is NOT a 100% measure of how a compressor performs because the projecta typhoon took 10sec longer than the ARB and the typhoon is rated at 150L/min and ARB 75L/min. but at almost double the price i can wait the 10sec longer.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37819&stc=1&d=1264033501

Hmmm not sure. How would I find out?

For anyone that is interested, this link has a chart with the results of a comparison of a number of different air compressors. You'll see the Typhoon performs as good as the (much) more expensive brands.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/73544/projecta_air_compressor_storm-_worth_it.aspx

I'm still toying with the idea of getting an ARB, but can't justify spending twice the money to get the same performance when I'll only be using it a few times a year! As long as it will run okay with the Jeep Grand I'll go and get one!