PDA

View Full Version : Roof boxes for KK

MissionMan
26-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi Guys

Has anyone put one of the Thule (or any other brand of roof boxes) roof boxes on their KK?

I also see that Thule does roof racks for $270. Any experience with these over the stock jeep ones?

If so, how do they effect the fuel consumption and would you recommend them? I have a little one on the way (14 weeks) and I need to start planning for extra luggage room. I do kiteboarding so my gear takes up a fair amount of room so there is no way I could do the stock setup for weekends away and I don't think the wife will let me leave the baby behind. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Athol

Arrow
26-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Thule are the OEM product and are of high quality. They will cost about 1/2 the price if you buy them from autobarn as the JEEP badge on the dealer items are very expensive. And NO it is not the dealer ripping you off as the dealer buy price is more than the aftermarket retail price.

MissionMan
27-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks.

Does anyone have a the comparison between the Towbar box and the Roof Box? I see Thule also has a 450L towbar box which may have less of an affect on fuel consumption and be easier to pack.

http://img.skitch.com/20100126-p6ue5gg24bac5ure8jwgeneuyy.jpg

createit
27-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Mission Man, I decided to go with the Rhino Rack cross bars and put a rhino rack alloy tray on top. I then use one of the weather proof rhino rack bags.

You have to take a bit of a gamble of find someone with some stock that is happy to try it for you as all of the suppliers said that nothing was available for the KK back in June of last year. Yet the rhino rack works a treat.

In regards to fuel consumption I find on the diesel that I go up from 10.5 to 11.5 on a long trip with it fully loaded up and the gear up on the roof.

MissionMan
27-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks. That might be an option. One of the concerns I have with the roof box is the 2m limit in our underground parking and that might get me past it because I can throw the bags on outside our place whereas the roof box is harder to remove.

MarkMc
31-01-2010, 09:30 PM
We have Rhino sports bars and a Rhino rear opening box. Did Sydney to Gold Coast and back, and back up again with it on when we moved house and hardly knew it was on there fuel wise, probably 1l/100km worse, but a little of that would be from the extra weight in the back. The extra weight was noticeable but that's no surprise. Didn't get any wind noise, the only time I knew it was definitely still there was when the shadow showed it on the road.