PDA

View Full Version : Spider Diesel Tuning Chip

keef_7
22-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Does anyone have one of these chips fitted? If so how long have you had it and how have you found it?

08crd
22-02-2010, 08:09 PM
My two bobs worth.
I have a VW Golf 2ltr diesel and have chipped it up with a Superchips Bluefin remap from U.k. The car runs really well but does make extra smoke, therein lies the problem. I think a diesel with a particulate filter has the potential of stuffing the particulate filter prematurely with the extra soot burden. This depends on the type of particulate filter the car uses but the Merc uses a regen burn type filter and I would be surprised if chipping it it doesn't shorten the life of the filter.

GPCDR
22-02-2010, 08:46 PM
My two bobs worth.
I have a VW Golf 2ltr diesel and have chipped it up with a Superchips Bluefin remap from U.k. The car runs really well but does make extra smoke, therein lies the problem.

I installed a Diesel Power DIGI CR chip, none of the settings produce any extra smoke. It must have something to do with the tuning of the chip.

08crd
22-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi GPCDR. To make extra power out of an internal combustion engine you either improve the efficiency of the motor(it sucks in air and pumps it out) or add more fuel or air. These new diesel engines from Europe are pretty well sorted so the "chips"are basically sending false signals to the E.C.M to over fuel or over boost.
From the research I have done a remap of the E.C.U is the best way to go. VW use superchips UK to tune their race cars and that was why I used them to remap the Golf. However it doesn't have the same particulate filter as my Commander. I am sure you can get more power with the chip but i would check out how much a new particulate filter costs. I have rubbed my finger inside the tailpipe to check how much soot is there and it is perfectly clean that means it is doing a lot of work.:?:

GPCDR
22-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Most manufacturers detune the engine due to them having to cater for drivers who insist on using sub standard fuels or refuse to adhere to service schedules. Sometimes it is also restricted purely for marketing reasons, often just to drop an engines power output into a certain class.

My research found that Diesel Power optimizes the system to increase power and torque whilst decreasing fuel consumption. The tuning module works by regulating the fuel delivery time to the engine, which optimises the vehicles power. While some tuners regulate the diesel pump delivery (VP style), the DieselPower common rail tuners regulate the fuel pressure to optimise the timing and quantity of diesel delivery on each revolution. By working with the signal from the ECU and making thousands of calculations per second, power and drivability is enhanced without disturbing the vehicle’s factory safety features.

I also found that not all remapping and chip companies meet the TUV certification. TUV approval requires the product to comply with legal exhaust-emissions standards and with regard to tuning modules, it requires that emissions standards are similar to the original manufacturers standards.

Diesel Power modules have attained TUV certification and also the E-1 certification which verifies that module does not damage or conflict with any other component on the vehicle.

08crd
23-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Well I will be interested in how it goes after a reasonable time. Keep us posted.

sbv20j
23-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I have just received my spider chip, i have not a chance to test it yet

multihull
23-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I've read in one forum that after market performance chips can be confused by Snorkels that introduce higher air flow rates, then the more i read about the various types of chips and how they change setting on fuel pressure, timing of injections and air flow i decided to stay away from them all because my Commander gets more than enough torque and horse power from the stock engine set up.

GPCDR
23-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I installed a Diesel Power DIGI CR chip, none of the settings produce any extra smoke.

I'll just clear up my statement above which is not quite correct. The Diesel Power module has adjustments from 0 (off) to 9 then a to f. The Australian distributor states to play with the settings and if it over fuels, drop it 1 or 2 settings. On the Commander, position 9 is good for general driving and 8 for towing.

Each to their own whether you fit one or not, If I hadn't found a second hand module for a 1/3 of the cost, it would been lower on the accessories list.

sbv20j good luck with the Spider Chip.

scotlandjk
17-04-2010, 05:09 AM
I have just received my spider chip, i have not a chance to test it yet

hey have you had a chance to test it yet?? I'm interested in getting one for my wrangler. My dealer is the one who recommended it to me so I guess it must work alright.

glend
17-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Chipping a diesel is a rather old school crude (and expensive) way of delivering performance and fuel economy improvements, but till lately this was all that was available. I have been running new ECU software in my KJ CRD (from aftermarket diesel tuners Green Diesel Engineering in the US) and it has made a massive difference to my CRD in both performance and fuel economy while also making it much more flexible in daily drivability and use. GDE is going to be bringing new products to the market in Australia later this year that will cover the KJ, JK, KK, and Grand Cherokee CRDs (and possibly the Commander as well). After having sampled both chipping and ECU software flash I believe that far more can be done in the ECU (with its range of sensory input and control) than any aftermarket Chip on the bus can achieve.

DFTD
02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I installed a Diesel Power DIGI CR chip, none of the settings produce any extra smoke. It must have something to do with the tuning of the chip.
Hey GPCDR, what sort of increase in fuel economy did you get from your chip?

DFTD
02-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Chipping a diesel is a rather old school crude (and expensive) way of delivering performance and fuel economy improvements, but till lately this was all that was available. I have been running new ECU software in my KJ CRD (from aftermarket diesel tuners Green Diesel Engineering in the US) and it has made a massive difference to my CRD in both performance and fuel economy while also making it much more flexible in daily drivability and use. GDE is going to be bringing new products to the market in Australia later this year that will cover the KJ, JK, KK, and Grand Cherokee CRDs (and possibly the Commander as well). After having sampled both chipping and ECU software flash I believe that far more can be done in the ECU (with its range of sensory input and control) than any aftermarket Chip on the bus can achieve.
Hi Glend, I would be interested to know what sort of a difference you got in your fuel economy aswell.

GPCDR
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey GPCDR, what sort of increase in fuel economy did you get from your chip?

If your kind to the pedal it averages about 11.5lt/100kms around the city and in the high 10's on a trip. But if the wife drives it around the city (I'm going to get into trouble for this) she is lucky to keep it under 13lt/100kms.

I picked up a 15 1/2' poptop caravan from Melbourne in March and averaged 13.5lt/100kms towing.

I like the smooth acceleration and the lost of that annoying turbo lag.

jammy jeep
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
with the DP chip we saved around 0.8 litres/100kms on average and lost a lot of the turbo lag.

GPCDR
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
with the DP chip we saved around 0.8 litres/100kms on average and lost a lot of the turbo lag.

That's a big advantage of these chips, less turbo lag.

CRDSTU
06-05-2010, 06:45 AM
This is interesting. I was holding off commenting on my DP Chip but I've got mine on setting 9 and it doesnt feel that different to stock at all? Turbo lag from take off is still there and isnt that annoying!

jammy jeep
06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
we just had ours on '5', and we noticed a huge difference when we took it out, just before we sold the jeep

webrey227
13-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Reverting the vehicle to standard will mean a trip to the tuning workshop before it goes in for servicing. Some manufacturers will automatically wipe any non-standard tuning maps when a vehicle goes in for servicing, forcing you to pay to get it re-installed.