View Full Version : Lift Advice
02-03-2010, 01:55 AM
I am looking to lift my 2006 XH by about 50mm. Question is:
1) Do I need to go the coil route?
2) What about the so called budget lift's that insert spacers?
3) If spacers then plastic or metal?
4) If not spacers then why not?
5) If spacers then which company would you recommend?
6) If coils then which would you recommend?
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
do a search on the commander section here - plenty of info.
Basically, if you go for a coil lift then there are 3 main options you'll see discussed on here:
1. ARB lift - includes shocks/coils
2. Dobinsons springs with Bilstein Shocks
3. Dobinson springs with Rancho shocks (mind you, I think I'm the only one with the Rancho shocks - but having done over 100000kms on them I'm pretty happy.
Rocky Road make a spacer lift. Have heard mixed reviews on these. Not quite sure who else makes a spacer. Not many on the board seem to have gone the spacer route
If I had my time over, I'd probably go with the ARB lift
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I had kings springs 50mm lift in a Land Rover 300tdi for 14years with no problems. So that is what I have put in the Commander (also I have heard Kings supply Old Man Emu) as for shocks i will be waiting untill the originals stuff up.**)
03-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Mate, WH - same suspension & drive train have a look in that section, there are many posts on the subject.
Spacers will NOT alter your ride only give you a lift, you will still have the same wallowy ride and handling as you have now - go the 50mm OME/ARB lift - you have two choices :-
- medium duty, 25-30% improvement in ride and handling
- heavy duty, stiffer than above, for serious offroad wheeling
the above can be enhanced for towing by adding polyairs/firestone airbags
Note anecdotal information suggests that bilstein shocks are stiffer than OME
If you require more lift, you have the other options that jammyjeep has suggested, be mindful that 50mm complies with Australian laws and most insurance companies allow it.
05-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Thanks ! Will check out the WH stuff. Have replaced shocks already with OME.
05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
If you are in Brissy give EFS (Carrolls Suspension) at Wacol a call as they are looking for a Commander to do an R&D lift on.
06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Also I used this spacer kit for the WH which is the same as the XH. Came in at around $400 aust delivered to my door. Was about a full day to fit myself and just needed some spring compressors for the front struts. Gave about 2.5" of lift allround.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.