AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   What did you do to your WH/XH today? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64461)

Parso 26-01-2018 09:52 PM

Was actually relatively simple. Contacted an engineer recognised by the Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure (would come under a different in your state i'm guessing) and discussed what I wanted to achieve. After some research on the engineers side, with HD springs and struts (OME 2" Lift with HD dampers) the engineer was happy to sign off on an increased GVM to the Axle Load limit 2993kg in my case. Engineer inspected the vehicle and organised a mod plate and the final step in the process was a full roadworthy inspection to get it signed off by the transport department.

All in all it was relatively straight forward. Although i only gained 243KG in payload IMO it was very worthwhile as I was always treading a fine line with GVM and now I can finally add a few extra bits and not worry about not being legal. Unfortunately as you'd know, with our vehicles it doesn't take much to get to the factory GVM.

Parso 27-01-2018 11:50 PM

Finished fitting the LRA tank tonight, nice having an extra bit of fuel to feed the thirsty hemi! Well put together kit that was relatively straight forward to install. A bit time consuming on a few things but that's mostly because i'm very pedantic!

JamesLaugesen not sure if you still trawl the forums but i managed to keep my original filler cap. It was actually relatively straight forward, just cut off the end of the stock filler and cut off a matching amount from the LRA filler. Welded the stock end to the LRA filler and hey presto. Although it looks like brass alloy i'm pretty sure its just brass plated steel. As such to weld it i just ground off the plating and welded it together. I wasn't originally planning on doing so but the filler cap in the kit wasn't keyed so that made my mind up for me!

Turismo07 30-01-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parso (Post 1628272)
Was actually relatively simple. Contacted an engineer recognised by the Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure (would come under a different in your state i'm guessing) and discussed what I wanted to achieve. After some research on the engineers side, with HD springs and struts (OME 2" Lift with HD dampers) the engineer was happy to sign off on an increased GVM to the Axle Load limit 2993kg in my case. Engineer inspected the vehicle and organised a mod plate and the final step in the process was a full roadworthy inspection to get it signed off by the transport department.

All in all it was relatively straight forward. Although i only gained 243KG in payload IMO it was very worthwhile as I was always treading a fine line with GVM and now I can finally add a few extra bits and not worry about not being legal. Unfortunately as you'd know, with our vehicles it doesn't take much to get to the factory GVM.

By the looks of your avatar and mention of Dept of Planning and Infrastructure (recently changed their name to Dept of Transport), I figure you're in Perth. Who was the engineer that you used and approx how much did they charge?

Parso 04-02-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turismo07 (Post 1628465)
By the looks of your avatar and mention of Dept of Planning and Infrastructure (recently changed their name to Dept of Transport), I figure you're in Perth. Who was the engineer that you used and approx how much did they charge?

Hey mate, I used to live in Perth but am in South Australia now. I guess maybe the gov departments have the same name across the states. Anyway that said I don't think my engineer will be of much use to you if you're in WA. For reference the engineering fees were $500 and then transport S.A. inspection fees around $260. All in all the endeavour wasn't overly expensive and i can't see why it would really be much different interstate.

WH3.0 04-02-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parso (Post 1628704)
Hey mate, I used to live in Perth but am in South Australia now. I guess maybe the gov departments have the same name across the states. Anyway that said I don't think my engineer will be of much use to you if you're in WA. For reference the engineering fees were $500 and then transport S.A. inspection fees around $260. All in all the endeavour wasn't overly expensive and i can't see why it would really be much different interstate.

Hey Parso

Welcome to Sth Aussie mate

Parso 04-02-2018 09:44 AM

Thanks mate! I'm originally from SA but have spent a lot of time living away so it's nice to be back! Now if only there were more tracks within 3 hours of the city!

Grippy 04-02-2018 10:15 AM

Yep, such a shame here in Adelaide, although Jakem Farm is good for a quick fix, and we have the awesome beach driving down south but it's a long hike from northern suburbs

Sent from my SM-T530 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app