AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   E.G.R. Disconnect. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88317)

EugeJK 05-08-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yom (Post 995382)
I'm curious, is the computer in these shitboxes from VM or Chrysler?

I think the ECU comes from Chrysler. It's just one processor board. But part of the firmware for engine management must be from VM.

davidd 05-08-2009 11:56 PM

yom as far as i know it is a bosch system and a bosch computer, all the engine stuff is bosch. chrysler sourced the rest from wherever. the abs brake computer comes with the system , the auto box control unit comes with the box, etc. the ecu also has had a heap of software added to it by chrysler, which is only accessible by chrysler. normal scan gauges or analysers can't access it. this enables chrysler to make some adjustments to the engine settings within certain small parameters. it seems people working on these engines in a few groups wish chrysler had left the ecu alone. they reckon they have stuffed up a damned good engine and bosch management system which was better off before chrysler started playing with it. but anyone with a decent analyser can troubleshoot the engine sytem. a decent one for 500 bucks can check the systems and do things like switch the horn on and off, operate engine systems eg, open and close the airflow valve to check it's operation and operate any of the engine functions through the laptop connected to the obd11 port. mate and i were checking a fair bit of stuff on the weekend with an autoenginuity tool. you don't realise just what can be accessed and checked on these engine systems it is amazing. the bigger stuff the diesel shops have are better again and can check all the operating voltages of the components. my mate was throwing an ETC code on his but the car ran fine. we hooked up and and as soon as we went into the etc system and operated the air flow valve in the throttle body via the laptop, it threw an etc light. problem solved...faulty throttle body air flow valve motor.. sealed unit so have to replace throttle body. in the U.S. there are guys working on removing the chrysler software from the ecu. they are working on downloading the software from the ecu to a laptop, picking out the chrysler stuff to restore it to standard bosch and then upoading it to the ecu again. will then charge a fee to anyone who wants it done. send them your ecu and they will modify it for you. but still in the pipeline. they have a huge market over there which makes these things possible.

EugeJK 06-08-2009 12:10 AM

well i didn't know for sure. but i recalled some diesel techo looked at my engine and said: "bosch injectors - then the engine computer must be bosch too". as i can see only one computer inside the engine bay, it must then be bosch.

davidd 06-08-2009 07:14 PM

quick update on removing the air flow valve and replacing it with an under size one. it goes like a f%$#*&g shower of s&%t. touch the pedal in low gears and it just spins the tacho real fast. awesome acceleration. after the engine was warmed up properly i took it for a run up the freeway (100kph limit) performance within those speed limits was exceptionally good and cruised quite happily at 9.8 litres per 100. pulled ou to pass a car in front and didn't take a lot of notice of the speedo, was just enjoying the squirt of acceleration. looked at the speedo after short time and backed off real quick as the dial was heading for 150. this was entirely unintentional. a real light touch is required after you change the airflow valve, the extra air really mkes things happen. if you floor the pedal it bogs down and performance doesn't change a lot, but if you roll it on slowly as the speed increases it gives really good performance. any mtor bike riders there will know what i mean by "a roll on". snap the throttle open and the engine bogs down. if you bring it on at the same speed as the engine can handle it you get max performance. when i switched off it was a very quick shut down with a slight shudder, nothing dramatic. don't know how this will affect the engine, but it seems to me it is pretty much a cheap substitute for a chip. will have to get the thing checked later to see what the air temps and gas flows are before i can recommend it or not. but sure gives it a boot.

davidd 06-08-2009 07:30 PM

the thing i forgot to mention was the amount of gritty residue on the air flow valve. the cac hoses and throttle body had just a normal residue of oil and a bit of black sludge bu the air flow valve itself which is always right in the main airflow, had a bit of oil residue on it and in the residue was a hard black grit, almost like a fine sand mixed with the oil residue. it can't have come from the inlet air as air filter cleans the air. must have been in the oil coming out of the engine and through the intercooler. improbable that the oil from the rocker cover has grit in it, so must get collected from deposits in the intercooler, caused by oil being deposited in the cores of the intercooler and causing it. nice thought that this crap is always going through your engine. seems a good argument for installing a provent to collect the oil from the rocker cover and cut buildup in the intercooler.

MCJK 09-08-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 996306)
to have intake manifold cleaned professionally for about $500 later, or to save a couple of grands for a new turbo.

ROFL, and all they do is take your car for a flog and give it back to you.

Alot of ECU's have a Burn Off function, takes around 15 minutes and cleans the intake, combustion chamber and exhaust.

In all my years working on diesels ive never had to clean a manifold.

ANyone disconnecting their EGR ever question why the engine has EGR? :wall:

and before anyone starts, not many emissions tests test NOx and if they do only do so when NOx is lowest.

ShortBlack 09-08-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCJK (Post 996311)

ANyone disconnecting their EGR ever question why the engine has EGR?

Sure, they found lowering Exhaust Temps lowers your Nox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust...diesel_engines

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 996306)
The dilemma was solved in a flash. They connected Bosch diagnostic tool to the engine. They toggled "Emission Control Device" OFF and saved the setting. That disabled the EGR operation on the engine.

This is great news:) i will still fit a Pyrometer First as i want to monitor exhaust temps when im working the engine hard, but apart from that the extra Power and Fuel efficiency (and extra Range) is worth the mod in my eyes.

I wasnt to keen on plugging the EGR Vacuum hose but this mod by telling the ECU to shut off the EGR system is the propper way to go about it.
Now to find a place in Melb to have it done;)

I wonder why the Yanks had to make up some Circuitry to get this done, maybe no one bothered to ask a Diesel Shop with a Bosh Service tool.