AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Welding and Fabriction advice 101 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96096)

Wooders 06-10-2011 02:09 PM

Well I opted for a Speedglas 9100xx.
Would have liked the flip up to grind feature of the FX series - but couldn't really justify the extra cost.
Hopefully will end up being a good choice - but HAS to be miles better than the POS I've been suffering.

2JeepFamily 07-10-2011 08:45 PM

Wooders from memory the new Speedglas has a grind mode, you have to
hold 2 buttons and it won't darken. The are also impact rated. I use to have
a XX and you just can't beat that view.

kx steve 11-11-2011 10:19 PM

i have had 2 speedglas welding helmets first one lasted 8 years second one 12 years and still going strong use it everyday never let me down ..
mine is a... xl with large screen auto man sensitivity and 9 to 13 shades. and you can grind with it on .. love it
i have tried many other ones you get what you pay for ...

murray 12-11-2011 07:25 PM

gents i have just gone through and deleated some of the off topic general commements from the thread ,
please do not take offence i just want to claen it up as per my origina lpost

ben3834 25-05-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JeepFamily (Post 1226715)
Wooders from memory the new Speedglas has a grind mode, you have to
hold 2 buttons and it won't darken. The are also impact rated. I use to have
a XX and you just can't beat that view.

my recomondation is to get the flex view attachment. it lets you slide the tinted lense back and grind. its so much faster. i have one that i dont use on the old style 901 speedgas. improved my fabrication speed alot. i hope this helps

ben3834 25-05-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murray (Post 1175455)
yuo could get a cig weld skill 130 amp dc invertor welder they usr 10 amp plugs

just watch the duty cycle on them. we bought one 3 years ago and as a pressure welder i lost my shit at it because they stop and start whenever they want. Opt for an ESAB caddy even second hand they are the welder of choice and the new one has force arc control great for those deep penatration welds

ben3834 25-05-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgs (Post 1175341)
Murray - This thread is absolutely tops. In the past I have had access to an industrial mig welder with gas at a friends factory. He is now overseas and I have no access to a welder. So I have to buy one. Essentially I will initially need a welder to move the rear spring buckets on the tj. I also need to cut and weld some rhs on my rear tyre carrier. I don't see a need for welding any critical strength points on the tj (control arms etc) but have absolutely no idea what sort of welder to get. I have used a stick welder on a few occassions in the past and quickly realised that I was spoilt by the gas mig.

Are you able to suggest a relatively inexpensive stick welder that I could buy to use at home (no 15A point)?

we bought a ESAB 130 from IWS wacol it cost 350 and we cut the earth pin to fit 10 amp sockets its a treat. Its a mig and 130 amps is heaps when using 0.6 wire just got to hire some gas and away u go. Im a trade qualified pressure welder with welding tickets ask me anything and ill try my best to help out.
Ben