AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96380)

Deezelweazel 30-08-2011 03:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hopefully the intresting details are readable

Deezelweazel 30-08-2011 03:42 AM

If you have some money and don't know where to spend it- get this beauty:

It will cost a bit more but if you plan on driving your TD longer or have to replace the radiator anyway:
Custom built radiator- tiny escape connection missing in the upper right.Was the reason to ship it back and get a new one.

http://up.picr.de/8075857kjc.jpg

diesel mad 31-08-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deezelweazel (Post 1217401)
Hopefully the intresting details are readable

just looking this article,
it apears i have 4 after market heads and 4 genuine
they are both identicle appart from the raised out section around the welsh plugs.
they have all the numbers same part number stamped the head same as the first group of pics.
the only diffeance is the date,
on the genuine ones they have 97 stamped in them
the after market ones have 7/11/99
and the colour differance.

should i put them on or get some genuine ones??
my genuine ones are buggered

Deezelweazel 31-08-2011 04:52 PM

date has to vary due to production process.
Colour difference is key- showing a heat treatment missing.

layback40 04-11-2011 07:30 AM

Hand primer pump.

I have been experiencing air in the fuel system for some time. Its a total PITA.
Makes it hard to start.
It looks like the primer pump is the problem. The seal on the shaft of the primer must be a bit leaky ~ it does leak a little when hand pumping.
To solve the problem I have fitted an O ring so that when the pump plunger is screwed back into its home place it seals properly.
All the grief solved with a small 20c O ring!!

MattP 22-11-2011 10:27 AM

I had the same problem but used a Loctite sealant on the thread (suggested by Deezelweasel). It has worked well but your option is cheaper. I'll do that next time I prime.

jtctlc 19-05-2012 08:48 PM

Hand Primer Pump Leaking

Hello Layback40 and MattP,

I am having similar problem with my XJ with diesel leaking past the plunger shaft.

Layback40 - Do you recall what size o-ring you used and did you have to remove the plunger from the filter head?

MattP - Can you remember what grade of locktite that you used?

Thanks in advance

jtctlc

layback40 19-05-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtctlc (Post 1286541)

I am having similar problem with my XJ with diesel leaking past the plunger shaft.

Layback40 - Do you recall what size o-ring you used and did you have to remove the plunger from the filter head?

Thanks in advance

jtctlc

I just used one I had. I think it was about the size of the ones you find on garden hose fittings or maybe a bit smaller. Didnt remove the plunger, just unscrewed ir & then stretched the O ring over the top handle bit & screwed the plunger back down on it. Had to make sure the O ring was sitting central under the head/handle bit on the plunger.

MattP 21-05-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtctlc (Post 1286541)

Thanks in advance

jtctlc

It's Loctite 542 Thread Sealant. Works really well, I haven't had an issue since (2 years).

mATT.