AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ESP Disable - Take two (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84348)

JK07 04-05-2009 11:35 AM

I have done this mod and works awesome.
I disable the entire ESP activation by wheel truning procedure before hitting the track but there are times when I really need to spin the tyres with lockers activated the brake assist comes into play. Thats where I trick comes handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 965642)
So how many of you guys have done this mod so far?

What are YOUR thoughts before/after the mod?

Just interested to know.

glend 04-05-2009 12:10 PM

At the risk of abuse, if considering ESP mod, better read NCOP (National Code of Practice) Version 2, Section 11: 2.6 at:

http://www.pharosalex.com.au/pages/33acs4.html

basically the new version of NCOP will ban almost any modification to a vehicle equipped by the manufacturer with ESP, ESC, etc; and will disallow disconnection of ESP, ESC, etc.

This is the direction that regulation is taking. Many may disagree (including me) but insurance companies will embrace this.

Let me be clear - I don't like the NCOP position on ESP anymore than anyone else. I have a lift which would be an illegal mod under NCOP Version 2 (because I have ESP) but which I could probably get away with under NCOP Version 1. Its the adding of that section (2.6) of "No mods if you have ESP" that is going to cause problems for people. NCOP Version 2 is still open for public comment and I would hope that the Ausjeep community would jump on the chance to try to influence a re-wording of that section.

CrazyNuts 04-05-2009 04:30 PM

<insert explitives here>

AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I hate this country more and more with their STUPID cotton wool wrapping legislation.

carvesdodo 04-05-2009 04:54 PM

Hooning / Donuts and sandspray rooster tails aside ....

Perhaps the circumstances of use, such as outlined by RodXJ and CrazyNuts where vehicle operation was hindered ... causing more environmental damage than a vehicle without these "much needed, safety features" ... the greenies could present the case for such items being an optional / not required / able to be modified item .... ??

CrazyNuts 04-05-2009 04:57 PM

You know what carvesdodo, your signature says it all at the moment.

BrisNut 04-05-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carvesdodo (Post 965745)
Hooning / Donuts and sandspray rooster tails aside ....

Perhaps the circumstances of use, such as outlined by RodXJ and CrazyNuts where vehicle operation was hindered ... causing more environmental damage than a vehicle without these "much needed, safety features" ... the greenies could present the case for such items being an optional / not required / able to be modified item .... ??

Nothing wrong with a little sand fun, it's not like you can compare the damage vehicles do to a beach compared to tidal and storm action over millions of years :)
I'll thing our greenie friends would be more likely to go with the throttle restriction as most of them tend to believe sand is nearing extinction due to the actions of people wearing the beach out with vehicles and horses :P
Same as the ones that think a few hundred km's of 4x4 tracks are doing anywhere near the damage to the enviroment done by building shopping centres and sportsl fields :P

carvesdodo 04-05-2009 05:45 PM

Heya Brisnut

The point of my comment was ... dont add fuel to the fire when it comes to rabid environmentalist propoganda ...

Use something credible to enlist their services. ;)

JasperJ 04-05-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glend (Post 965687)
At the risk of abuse, if considering ESP mod, better read NCOP (National Code of Practice) Version 2, Section 11: 2.6 at:

basically the new version of NCOP will ban almost any modification to a vehicle equipped by the manufacturer with ESP, ESC, etc; and will disallow disconnection of ESP, ESC, etc.

This is the direction that regulation is taking. Many may disagree (including me) but insurance companies will embrace this.

Let me be clear - I don't like the NCOP position on ESP anymore than anyone else. I have a lift which would be an illegal mod under NCOP Version 2 (because I have ESP) but which I could probably get away with under NCOP Version 1. Its the adding of that section (2.6) of "No mods if you have ESP" that is going to cause problems for people. NCOP Version 2 is still open for public comment and I would hope that the Ausjeep community would jump on the chance to try to influence a re-wording of that section.

While it would have been great to comment on this, the comment period ended on the 30th of April. interesting though is the wording. I know it is a little off topic but

"Therefore unless specifically permitted by the vehicle manufacturer, vehicles equipped with ESC as original equipment, cannot be modified under the Modification Codes contained in this Section of the NCOP as the current codes do not posses sufficient scope to account for all the parameters noted above. "

So am I correct to take it that if there is a MOPAR lift for the Jeep then that would be manufacturer endorsement of a lift of that height being suitable?

Also I like the increase in tyre size to 50 mm for 4wds and not for soft roaders. Bring on the 34's.:D

superchicken 05-05-2009 09:44 AM

Would this apply to vehicles changed prior to the new laws? Stupid question i know but one to ponder..:rolleyes:

ShortBlack 17-05-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glend (Post 965687)

the insurance companies will get out of paying for what ever reason they can find let alone this new ESP guff. my car was insured till i rang to say i have 3" lift and 34" tyres, they wouldn't insure me anymore (which i thought would be the case) so i said well you'd better stop taking money out of my account then! Its no point making any mods to your car then driving around thinking your insured because if you have a stack they will go over it with a fine tooth comb to get out of paying, GEE and i thought insurance companies are there to protect us lol.

I'll have my car HOW I WISH, if i have a stack (which hasn't happened for 25yrs) i'll pay for it, my choice.

ps this is me talking out loud, im not having a go at you at all Glend.

ShortBlack 17-05-2009 07:34 PM

I have to take my car to the dealer for the third time to reset the ESP computer as my alarm lights are up again! When this happened recently it appeared to reduce my accelerator and brake me, twice!
i have a lifted jeep with big tyres and when i go off road i think the computer gets all confused, so for me off road especially im going to turn it off!

JUST LET ME DRIVE THE DAM CAR COMPUTER!!! HA HA

I'll be having the Dealership upload the new software that enables me to turn ESP off with that Wheel turning procedure, if i still have trouble i have no probs performing this mod next:)

Good one CrazyNuts.

Question- when you switch it off im assuming all the three alarm lights stay on just to bug you:(

CrazyNuts 17-05-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortStuff (Post 969724)

Good one CrazyNuts.

Question- when you switch it off im assuming all the three alarm lights stay on just to bug you:(

Unfortunately, yes. But it's not as intrusive as you may think due to their location.

Never bothered me anyway, as I only ever use it off-road.

Yom 17-05-2009 09:37 PM

NCOP isnt even regulation in any state yet is it?

CrazyNuts 17-05-2009 10:16 PM

nope, it hasn't even reached parliament yet.

Go nutts 19-05-2009 01:26 PM

The best thing i have done. Thanks

ShortBlack 04-08-2009 04:19 PM

Just to ad to this, my car is still in ESP fault since May, all three lights on.
Dealer has the car again but are STILL STUMPED? The Starscan tool keeps telling them its the Front Left Wheel Sensor is at fault, they've changed it and it still says Sensor fault.

Anyway what im getting at is the 3 Fault Lights are on same as as what happens when you do this wire cutting mod but the ESP is still doing something.
When i was in 1st Gear Low Range off road and trying to slowly climb this hill the ESP was bringing on the brakes and reducing Power, so much so i had to turn around and go back down, it was that bad! It only happened on steep inclines and it didn't matter if i was going forward or reverse so there must be a sensor registering the incline.

Just wonder of those that have done this mod have they experienced any ESP interference still:?:

CrazyNuts 04-08-2009 05:42 PM

With this mod, there is NO interference from the ESP module. The whole lot is disabled and does NOT communicate with the ECU.

Basically it's like isolating and cutting off the nerve between your brain and your penis. Can you say "no more errections"?

ShortBlack 04-08-2009 05:54 PM

thats a weird analogy:%

CrazyNuts 05-08-2009 08:01 AM

yeah..but you understood what I was saying ;)

davidd 05-08-2009 10:40 AM

but my brain is in my penis!!!!

reyzor 05-08-2009 11:00 AM

d!ckhead ;)

CrazyNuts 05-08-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reyzor (Post 995227)
d!ckhead ;)

LOL...that's classic.

ShortBlack 21-08-2009 10:43 PM

ok ESP finally fixed and it was nothing to do with the computer. It was my Solid Hubs, the LH Wheel Sensor wasn't close enough to the Tone Ring.

So anyway its all fixed so i tried to do the Wheel Turning Procedure to disable it and it didnt work?

Have many people dont this? does it actually work? maybe im doing it wrong???

If i cant get this to disable feature to work i will chop the Purple/LtBlu Wire:)

CrazyNuts 23-08-2009 07:56 AM

Hi ShortStuff

I tried the "wheel disable" trick and it never worked for me either. No matter how many times I tried. The thing about the wheel disable trick is that it does NOT disable ABS and BAS.

Brettski 23-08-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortStuff (Post 1000181)
So anyway its all fixed so i tried to do the Wheel Turning Procedure to disable it and it didnt work?

Have many people dont this? does it actually work? maybe im doing it wrong???

I have a vague memory that you had to have the computer flashed with special code to get that particular feature - it isn't generally, available - you've got to ask for it. Could be wrong, but...

B.

ShortBlack 23-08-2009 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettski (Post 1000415)
I have a vague memory that you had to have the computer flashed with special code to get that particular feature - it isn't generally, available - you've got to ask for it. Could be wrong, but...

B.

I thought that maybe the case but i rang Geelong Dealership and they new nothing about it and i got the official we dont want to help you by stating if its not a feature in the manual then theres no such feature and there not allowed to turn esp off. I said well your not turing it off i am! once you enable the feature with your star scan, but it was obvious they didnt want to know about it:-(

Barefoot 23-08-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortStuff (Post 1000554)
i got the official we dont want to help you by stating if its not a feature in the manual then theres no such feature and there not allowed to turn esp off. .

I posted this in another thread but this procedure is on page 165 of my owners manual.

Mines a 2009 JK so maybe its a recent inclusion..? Tell them to take a look :cool:

ShortBlack 23-08-2009 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 1000383)
Hi ShortStuff

I tried the "wheel disable" trick and it never worked for me either. No matter how many times I tried. The thing about the wheel disable trick is that it does NOT disable ABS and BAS.

Yes i know- BAS is Fully active but ABS is in Off-Road Mode (allows for more skid) [i think BAS active is fine as it just applies max brake power in emergency braking]

Traction control is off, but limited slip feature is still active which i think is fine to have too.

ESP & ERM are fully disabled.

Attached a list of what exactly happens in the different ESP Modes

ShortBlack 23-08-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1000560)
I posted this in another thread but this procedure is on page 165 of my owners manual.

Mines a 2009 JK so maybe its a recent inclusion..? Tell them to take a look :cool:

this maybe just in yours as it not in my manual but i have an 07 model.
And before you all say it wasn't a feature in the 07 i know that, thats why i had it re-flashed by Northern Jeep with the updated version but it still didnt work.
I will have to take it back to that dealer cos thats the whole reason i had them re-flash it! (only reason i tried Geelong dealership is i can't get back over to Northern Jeep for a while).

chad 23-08-2009 08:54 PM

As I said in another thread, The service guy photocopied the update info for me, the procedure apparently works with the updated computer program. Still yet to try it. But I do have the photocopy from jeep. Am keen to see if it works.

ShortBlack 23-08-2009 09:03 PM

yep let me know how you go.

Bugger now i cant get to my jeep for 4 weeks to re try it cos im going away.
So be good to see how you go there Chad.
Question- did you get the updated software or do you have an 08 or 09 model? I think only 07 and early 08 didnt have the feature in the ECU

CrazyNuts 16-09-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MALS-JK (Post 1000567)
Yes i know- BAS is Fully active but ABS is in Off-Road Mode (allows for more skid) [i think BAS active is fine as it just applies max brake power in emergency braking]

Traction control is off, but limited slip feature is still active which i think is fine to have too.

ESP & ERM are fully disabled.

Attached a list of what exactly happens in the different ESP Modes

BAS is what killed me 90% of the time when I lost all power when I needed it most.

This is why I did this mod in the first place.

I don't want ANY interference from the "safety" features.

Yom 16-09-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNuts (Post 1007990)
BAS is what killed me 90% of the time when I lost all power when I needed it most.

This is why I did this mod in the first place.

I don't want ANY interference from the "safety" features.

how did brake assist cause a loss of power when it is only ever active when you're hard enough on the brakes that the computer thinks you need help to stop?

CrazyNuts 16-09-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yom (Post 1008014)
how did brake assist cause a loss of power when it is only ever active when you're hard enough on the brakes that the computer thinks you need help to stop?

Because BAS kicks in when you lose traction (part of the Tracktion Control System).

It applies the brake so "transfer" the power to the wheel with the most traction. Unfortunately it's not a very smart system, especially in slippery situations.

The whole safety system interfeers WAY too much off road in my opinion.

davidd 17-09-2009 01:51 AM

no mate that's the brake lock diff (bld) or there's electronic brake distribution (ebd) which applies brakes to any slipping wheel leaving drive on any wheel that aint slipping. if 3 wheels slip the drive theoretically all goes tothe one wheel which isn't slipping. which then starts to slip itself because one wheel has no chance of pulling the car out of the bog if the other three have no grip. at that point i think the computer has a mental breakdown, cannot decide what to do, whether to apply brakes to all wheels or let all wheels spin, or selectively try random wheels to see if they will take the drive, or let the whole software crash until some one else sorts the problem and reboots it. whatever the best thing to do with that bit of software when put in a 4wd is to remove it.

davidd 17-09-2009 02:05 AM

bas or brake assist is the one that under heavy braking, slams the pedal to the floor and only the abs pulsing prevents the wheels from skidding, pulling the car up in the shortest distance known to man while attempting to throw the driver and occupants out through the windscreen. it stops the vehicle so fast that the vehicle following behind with out bas slams straight in the back of you, drastically reducing the length of both vehicles and solving any future problems you may have fitting into small parking spaces. it also causes whiplash to occupants of both vehicles as a result of the collision resulting in rather large payments from your 3rd party insurance enabling all of them to take a 6 month recuperative holiday in a nice warm sunny environment surrounded by waving palm trees and grass skirted women doing a hula dance. also not a nice thing to have on a 4wd.

davidd 17-09-2009 02:12 AM

but the one you're actually refering to is the brake lock diff function, which in 4wd applies the brake to any spinning wheel and causing the vehicle to bog itself in the most inopportune places such as cable beach at low tide, as the tide turns and starts to rise to it's full 30 ft maximum, before you can dig the damned thing out.

davidd 17-09-2009 02:14 AM

in my case i would welcome such a result as this s**t bag of mine is insured for far more than i could sell it for, and i could use the money to buy a more useful vehicle.:)

corkhead 17-09-2009 07:18 AM

just curious guys ... with the rubicon and both lockers engaged - going up a rutted clay slippery hill - is a factory rubicon going to let the motor rev and wheels spin freely ??

Got two rubicons on the way and must admit around gembrook, labertouche that situation is common.

So i spose my question is - should i be looking at this mod ?

Cheers

H

CrazyNuts 17-09-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd (Post 1008137)
but the one you're actually refering to is the brake lock diff function, which in 4wd applies the brake to any spinning wheel and causing the vehicle to bog itself in the most inopportune places such as cable beach at low tide, as the tide turns and starts to rise to it's full 30 ft maximum, before you can dig the damned thing out.

I see you've been caught out just like I have.

Yeah...you are right. I am referring to the wrong term. Either way....there are WAY too many safety features interfering with off road performance, even with the ESP OFF button (which is basically useless).

By the way, I have the MY08 build with the "functional" ESP OFF button, not like the MY07 models.