AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Jk wheels and re-engineering (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159189)

Crap welder 06-04-2021 09:30 PM

Thanks for the information guys, it looks like the way to go, I’m just setting up a seperate set of 35 inch rubber for my y62 patrol right now, once I’ve finished it I’ll set up a set for the Jeep, I will start looking for a cheap set of gladiator wheels to put into stock. ��
Yep I see what you mean by stud size, the jk are 1/2 inch and the gladiators are M14, why do the yanks throw in a mixture of metric and imperial, they moswell throw in some whitworth just to make it fun.

Fishframe 07-04-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crap welder (Post 1671534)
Thanks for the information guys, it looks like the way to go, I’m just setting up a seperate set of 35 inch rubber for my y62 patrol right now, once I’ve finished it I’ll set up a set for the Jeep, I will start looking for a cheap set of gladiator wheels to put into stock. ��
Yep I see what you mean by stud size, the jk are 1/2 inch and the gladiators are M14, why do the yanks throw in a mixture of metric and imperial, they moswell throw in some whitworth just to make it fun.

I used to have four sets of wheel / tyres sitting around. I got sick of storing them and moving them around all the time ! I don’t have a big shed however .....

Banshee 08-04-2021 07:27 AM

Yes, removing the clips is a basic step most people do. They were only really there to keep things in place on the assembly line & are not needed afterwards. I seem to recall several people had issues because they forgot about them when using aftermarket wheels as well.

Crap welder 27-04-2021 10:32 PM

Hey guys, just a quick update on the wheels saga scenario, last Sunday we acquired a set of 1000km old Rubicon wheels, set of 5 for $1200 so not bad buying considering the rubber is worth more than that. So we were going to swap the 37s for the 33s this coming weekend but I’m afraid it’s to little to late, my son drove to tech in Orange today, I got the help call at 430 this arvo, had to go trailer the Jeep home due to a terrible clacking coming from the rear diff (sounds like a D11 dozer in 2nd gear).
We gave the car a full fluids service last week, it would seem the previous owners only ever serviced the engine, diff and gear oils were putrid, all grease nipples were dry as a chip, it also dropped a uni on the front prop shaft last week.
It will take a little sorting out to repair a bit of neglect but it will be a great toy once it’s sorted.

Fishframe 27-04-2021 10:46 PM

Used cars are always bit of a risk. I’ve been caught with full engine rebuilds 🙁 Was lucky with the TJ buying from an older couple, the husband was a mechanic in the Mines and fastidious about everything. Car cost me extra as a result though .......

Crap welder 27-04-2021 10:58 PM

Yep that’s the fun and joys of buying 2nd hand, I was hoping to get a but longer before any major problems cam up, but anyway, once we do it at least we will know what has been done and done right, we are going to be mean and nasty to it so we better do it right once.