AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   1" Spring lift for JK - Anyone do these? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95425)

dhard 28-04-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 1069516)
My new 285/70's bfgs are rubbing slightly on the outer guard on the rear at flex. Due to garage clearance (about 40mm) i can't go a 2" lift so looking at the teraflex levelling kit to add 1" front and rear.

Is there a 1" spring lift for the JK as this would be a better option?

You need to increase your bump stop to stop the rubbing. It will still rub if you put taller springs or spacers in without increasing the bump stop length. If it's just touching 1" should stop it from touching under flex.

qwerty 28-04-2010 04:46 PM

Thanks for the insight Dhard, that makes sense.

I'll put a spacer in there and increase the bump stop by the same amount. This should keep my travel the same :)

BrisNut 28-04-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 1069593)
Thanks for the insight Dhard, that makes sense.

I'll put a spacer in there and increase the bump stop by the same amount. This should keep my travel the same :)

Except you lose an inch of travel overall, unless you exend the shocks by 1 inch or put extesion brackets on them.

Do be aware, it may not be a problem with 1 inch spacers but I suspect my 2 inch spacers and bump stop extentions caused more stress on my factory shocks from bottoming out in the down direction more often, mine was fine for he first few months but after a weekend offroad it started getting twitchy on the freeway, a pair of the factory shocks had failed and gone loose with clanky noises at full travel. Maybe they were just dud shocks too, I fitted some 2" lift Ranchos and haven't had an issue since.

What I did notice since fiting 2 inch spacers and bumpstops is my normal gap betwen the axle and stop is now only 40mm, so I only have 40mm of upward travel now.

qwerty 28-04-2010 08:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up, great info on here!

I heard the factory shocks are good for another 2" travel while reading about the mopar 2" lift springs in another thread? When you took the springs out how far did the axle drop when you undid the sway bar links? If that's a problem i'll have to source some shocks or extenders. I don't want to have to worry about flexing when i'm out on the trail.

Looking at my stock setup i'd say there's about 40-50mm up travel as standard so you haven't lost anything.

dhard 29-04-2010 08:24 AM

The amount of downtravel you get won't alter if you don't change the shock to longer ones or use extension brackets. The bumstop extensions will decrease your uptravel by that amount. However by making spring height longer by using spacers or taller springs it will take up that amount of downtravel from the shock i.e a 50mm lift will extend the shock down by 50mm. So if you had 200 mm down travel before you will now have only a 150mm. If you had 50mm uptravel before and you add 50mm springs without the bumpstop you would now have 100mm. For a total of 250mm which is the same as it was stock. By adding the extended bumpstops or bumpstop spacer of 50mm you would decrease the uptravel by 50mm so you would end up with 50mm uptravel and 150mm downtravel ending up with 200mm of travel overall. Hence why it is best to get longer shocks when making the spring height longer so that you keep the overall travel the same. Most of the 2 inch lift shocks will be about 50mm longer than the stock ones which so happens to be the maximum length you can go without extending the brakelines by either new ones or drop brackets. My advice is that do as much research as you can and make sure you no what you want. It is better to do it once than to go for the cheapest option and end up changing it again in a few months and forking out more of your hard earned. If you are not in any hurry it is worth waiting to see what happens with the shocks that Jeep are devolping to suit the 2" Mopar springs as this way they will have no excuses not to cover your warranty (which may be a good thing if notice the % of people who have complained of DW issues after lifting their vehicles).

qwerty 29-04-2010 10:53 AM

Thanks for the novel dhard ...nothing to do on a Wed night eh? ;)

In essence i need to shift the travel up so i can clear the guards and don't want to lose travel, i can't go a 2" lift as the garage just isn't high enough so i will be going with a Teraflex 1" levelling kit + 1"extended bumpstops and either shock extenders or new shock all together. (i'm hesitant on new shocks as they may not suit the stock spring rate). I have AEV Savegre rims with +10 offset working in my favour as they don't stick out much so hopefully i'll have a great reliable setup.

I also like the idea of keeping the center of gravity low and by only doing a 1" i wont have any geometry or DW issues