AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Xj Diesel converted to Toyota Engine (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95946)

Xauterus 16-05-2010 10:12 PM

Hello
The 3 litre turbo diesel engine out of the later hilux would probably be a great engine. I think its called the 3KZ? too late at night to remember.

Corey

DionM 16-05-2010 10:13 PM

I think the 1HZ would be too big (physically) and too heavy.

I'd be tempted to look at a 4cyl Toyo diesel if you want to play with Toyo engines. The Hilux 2.8 is a bucket of puss though, the 3.0D is a bit better (pre D4-D era).

Wooders 16-05-2010 10:21 PM

Do some measurement - if it fits do it!
Otherwise have a look at the Cummins 4bt - a few of these have been swapped into TJ's.

Fletch 17-05-2010 09:11 AM

Are you still going on about XJ Diesels Gildo!!!!

The engine is not that bad .... its the other bits hanging off it that cause most of the issues, I know cause I used to have one. A well set up xj diesel is awsome off road though.
I would suggest a 4 cylinder toyota engine - the big six would definatley not fit.
You will need to check out the computer ECM side of things also.

Fletch

MudMonkey30 17-05-2010 10:05 AM

The first thing to consider for me would be size, weight, power output, and sticking with a turbo'd motor! Then how efficiant the XJ radiator is going to be inconparrison to the donor motor rad size and flow, electrics are easy enough, can be costly but you still have to get all the other mods approved anyway. Going to large a motor will make things tricky for room.
Many things to consider before throwing something to big in!
I personally would try and find a suitable 4cyl td that has similar size and cooling needs.
Research into other sites as previously mentioned would go a long way!!

More power to you if you find a happy medium replacement engine!

Please keep us informed of your plans and further mods!
I also would consider the Toyota 3ltr td as an excange motor, although there fuel ecconamy is a bit average so I am told...

sbadman 17-05-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooders (Post 1076057)
Do some measurement - if it fits do it!
Otherwise have a look at the Cummins 4bt - a few of these have been swapped into TJ's.

338kg wet weight! (Wikipedia)

At least you'd have plenty of traction on the front end climbing a hill :D

Deezelweazel 17-05-2010 07:02 PM

An engine swap doesn't make economical sense at all.
Costs compared with a engine rebuild will be more or at least equal
+ the work for replacing and adding new needed wiring because of incompability.
It will be a lot easier to beef up the already existing engine.
If it is only for fun- go 4 it.