AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

SouthernComfort 23-01-2018 06:09 AM

Wow, this is getting scary. I might be getting a bit paranoid, but it seems to be a matter of when, not if, the alternator gives up, then waiting 1-2 weeks to get the car back, and no recall issued yet on the diesel. And if it gives out when I'm away with the caravan hitched...:sad:

I've just upgraded my RACV Roadside Assist to the Total Care package, at least it might help mitigate the potential inconvenience. Oh, and crossing fingers, naturally!

I suppose the only other option is to get my 5 y/o alternator changed now before it fails. Not sure if Jeep would cover the cost of that "preventative" action if a recall is issued though. I might call 'em...

Benn0 23-01-2018 07:46 AM

Yeah its a concern, the 2014 models will start going pop soon and they sold heaps of those so the problem will only get bigger. They need that fix for both diesels and petrols ASAP.

KJ RIDER 23-01-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627944)
How this has been allowed to go on for 5 months is beyond me. Above all else, they’ve known for at least 4 months that people are driving around with alternators that can start a fire. I reckon if my wife drove our car much longer that would have happened based on the smell. It just isn’t acceptable really and the aftermarket alternators should have been fitted immediately for safety reasons.

I was 4 days away from being in the middle of nowhere at he bottom of some very steep hills when it happened. Thank god we were in town.

As an aside here is a picture of my son who was devastated the man was taking his car away. Not kidding. It was a proper tantrum!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3fa3222de8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a sight I have seen on many occasions with my Jeep, but its usually the wife having a tantrum.. Its a shithouse feeling seeing ya best car being towed when you know it shouldnt be the case..

Hope the littlen gets it back soon

CamAE 23-01-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1627951)
Yeah its a concern, the 2014 models will start going pop soon and they sold heaps of those so the problem will only get bigger. They need that fix for both diesels and petrols ASAP.

Have all the failures so far been pre-2014 models? Is it an age or mileage thing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Benn0 23-01-2018 08:06 AM

I've seen a few stories of 2014s going, a petrol one burnt to the ground in the sunshine coast news a little while back. I'm guessing its the amount of steering wheel use that wears the alternator out....

Troutman 23-01-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1627955)
.....I'm guessing its the amount of steering wheel use that wears the alternator out....

Which is bad news for those of us that tow/reverse boats, trailers, and caravans a lot.

Taprod 23-01-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ RIDER (Post 1627952)
This is a sight I have seen on many occasions with my Jeep, but its usually the wife having a tantrum.. Its a shithouse feeling seeing ya best car being towed when you know it shouldnt be the case..

Hope the littlen gets it back soon

Haha yeah, I certainly didn’t like seeing it on the truck either. It adds to a stereotype that the vehicle is unreliable, which it isn’t. It’s the unfortunate victim of some poor administration by FCA. I just want it back tbh!

CamAE 23-01-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627961)
Haha yeah, I certainly didn’t like seeing it on the truck either. It adds to a stereotype that the vehicle is unreliable, which it isn’t. It’s the unfortunate victim of some poor administration by FCA. I just want it back tbh!

I'm seriously considering selling as I see the prices on carsales are still pretty decent before FCA makes a real meal out of this.
All it's going to take is a GC catching fire on the Westgate bridge/Burnley tunnel or a Sydney arterial rd in peak hour traffic and that stigmas going to destroy resale.

Taprod 23-01-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamAE (Post 1627968)
I'm seriously considering selling as I see the prices on carsales are still pretty decent before FCA makes a real meal out of this.
All it's going to take is a GC catching fire on the Westgate bridge/Burnley tunnel or a Sydney arterial rd in peak hour traffic and that stigmas going to destroy resale.

Those if us who bought in 2014 have seen some great resale because we bought (well I did) when the vehicle was $46k thanks to a good exchange rate. The comparable vehicle is now $52.5k new

Because I’m a sucker, I’d probably buy another one. I really like it and most of the components are tried and tested in other vehicles. This is the first major issue I’ve had in 4 years owning it. Other issues I’ve had have related to the dealer knowing nothing about the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself.

SouthernComfort 23-01-2018 10:02 AM

I wouldn't consider selling mine. I've only had it a short time and intend on it being a keeper. I love everything about it and a dicky alternator won't put me off the whole car. Worst case scenario for me is to replace the alternator at my own expense before it lets me down, even that would cost much less than changing the car. Hopefully FCA and the dealers will get their acts in sync to either avoid or reimburse those out of pocket expenses in the long run.

I called them today and left a message for Kate who is yet to return my call.

BTW, re. bad publicity and resale values - people have short memories! Just sold my wife's 2014 Golf for good money, all the fuss about VW's iffy practices seems all but forgotten.

Taprod 23-01-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1627973)
I wouldn't consider selling mine. I've only had it a short time and intend on it being a keeper. I love everything about it and a dicky alternator won't put me off the whole car. Worst case scenario for me is to replace the alternator at my own expense before it lets me down, even that would cost much less than changing the car. Hopefully FCA and the dealers will get their acts in sync to either avoid or reimburse those out of pocket expenses in the long run.

I called them today and left a message for Kate who is yet to return my call.

BTW, re. bad publicity and resale values - people have short memories! Just sold my wife's 2014 Golf for good money, all the fuss about VW's iffy practices seems all but forgotten.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. Mine is a long term vehicle which I’m just now starting to build up

imaz 23-01-2018 10:57 AM

I've had good responses from Robert at FCA, he replied to my email this morning.

I've had my MY13/2012 Limited petrol since new(demo, 1100km). 126,000km on the clock today. Paid about $60,000.

Its only in the recent 2 years I am starting to go offroad so putting on more strain on the car. Other than that, its a daily office commute.

I've got the front runner roof rack and have managed to put a slight dent on the roof(front LHS revit nut) due to the WEAK load bearing on the roof of the Jeeps, and the worst thing is they have not improved it structurally in the current models. You have to admit the boot space cannot fit much!

With my activities, camping, offloading, rock climbing, I would have to say this would probably be my last Jeep GC.

The Jeep GC is nothing but looks in my opinion, but is not suitable for adventures with a full family. Single/Couples, yes more than adequate.

Oh, it doesnt help that my surrounding is all LR and LR Mechanics. Yes, they have issues too but LR simply swaps you NEW engines off the pallet when ever there are major problems, no dramas. I guess that is how they keep their good rep.

Troutman 23-01-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1627973)
....Worst case scenario for me is to replace the alternator at my own expense before it lets me down,

The trouble is that no one seems able to identify the exact component or components that fail in the alternator so that any replacement is just a repeat of the original problems.

Benn0 23-01-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627977)
With my activities, camping, offloading, rock climbing, I would have to say this would probably be my last Jeep GC.

The Jeep GC is nothing but looks in my opinion, but is not suitable for adventures with a full family. Single/Couples, yes more than adequate.

I still love mine, but yes space is limited. The uneek roof rack helps for camp trips, I can just fit everything in with ~100kg on the rook. But yeah, I wish the boot was about 100mm wider and longer. The worst is the suspension, its just too rough on bumpy tracks. I've been thinking about going to a disco 4, the new one is fugly! I can handle a blown alternator, if lots starts to go wrong I may jump ship.

imaz 23-01-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1627985)
I still love mine, but yes space is limited. The uneek roof rack helps for camp trips, I can just fit everything in with ~100kg on the rook. But yeah, I wish the boot was about 100mm wider and longer. The worst is the suspension, its just too rough on bumpy tracks. I've been thinking about going to a disco 4, the new one is fugly! I can handle a blown alternator, if lots starts to go wrong I may jump ship.

Yes, D4 is what I would get(surrounded by it and amazed at is boot capacity, 1.2m depth x 1m width, with third row folded). New one is fugly and at that coin, I wouldn't take it offroad.

The GC just bounces and scoops the beach sand like there is no tomorrow. Even lifted doesnt help in rock climbing situations, where the D4 long wheel base clears almost everything we've been through. The GC struggles in almost all instances(embarrassed).

All the videos I have posted on my GC offlroad trips are the successful, its countless times it has been unsuccessful.

Taprod 23-01-2018 12:15 PM

I bought mine because of the great balance it provides between off road ability and on-road car-like behavior. It’s imperfect, but I love it nonetheless

Troutman 23-01-2018 12:30 PM

That's it mate, nothing in it's class delivers all round capability like the WK2.

Taprod 23-01-2018 12:35 PM

Just heard from the dealer and it was just the alternator, no other components were damaged. They’ll be replacing it with an aftermarket one which they said should come in in a few days.

They have placed the order for a loan car too, through their logistics arm, they essentially have to find me a comparable rental car. It wasn’t without lots of unnecessary back and for through!

imaz 23-01-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627991)
Just heard from the dealer and it was just the alternator, no other components were damaged. They’ll be replacing it with an aftermarket one which they said should come in in a few days.

They have placed the order for a loan car too, through their logistics arm, they essentially have to find me a comparable rental car. It wasn’t without lots of unnecessary back and for through!

Hope that is just it. I hear a Hyundai Imax coming your way.

SouthernComfort 23-01-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1627979)
The trouble is that no one seems able to identify the exact component or components that fail in the alternator so that any replacement is just a repeat of the original problems.

True, but if I throw my own money at it I'd go for the best after-market I can find, not a repeat of the same.

SouthernComfort 23-01-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627986)
Yes, D4 is what I would get(surrounded by it and amazed at is boot capacity, 1.2m depth x 1m width, with third row folded). New one is fugly and at that coin, I wouldn't take it offroad.

The GC just bounces and scoops the beach sand like there is no tomorrow. Even lifted doesnt help in rock climbing situations, where the D4 long wheel base clears almost everything we've been through. The GC struggles in almost all instances(embarrassed).

All the videos I have posted on my GC offlroad trips are the successful, its countless times it has been unsuccessful.

Oh? Check this out, these guys aren't too shabby at it...

Apologies for straying a bit off topic with the vid, but hopefully we can re-focus on the alternator issue rather than condemn the entire car.

imaz 23-01-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1627993)
True, but if I throw my own money at it I'd go for the best after-market I can find, not a repeat of the same.

The worst thing is, its an alternator. You just can't predict which make will withstand the peak amperage pulled from the Hydraulic Electric power steering thing.

The damages could be phenomenal if it was at your expense. Replacing a PCM/ECM, and or Battery, or more is not something you have the pleasure of doing for a design fault.

PS - I have seen those videos, and yes you lose the balance of a daily driver. It shouldn't get to the point of extensive modification for off-road purpose only.

CamAE 23-01-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1627990)
That's it mate, nothing in it's class delivers all round capability like the WK2.

Reason I bought mine too, original I wanted a liberty wagon but people wanted stupid money for them. Slightly different boat to the rest I was going to pay $41k new when a 2 year old MY15 with 20k and quadralift came up for sale quite afew thousand cheaper. I've only added 20k so looking at carsales looks like I would only lose afew thousand?

Taprod 23-01-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627992)
Hope that is just it. I hear a Hyundai Imax coming your way.

If it’s a refrigerated imax at least i could fill it with beer!

imaz 23-01-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627998)
If it’s a refrigerated imax at least i could fill it with beer!

Ok, on the bright side of things, I got a GC loaner as you know I picked up yesterday.

Its a MY15/6 Diesel. My god its such amazing power compared to my petrol v6. If I had known the Diesels were this good, I would have plonked that extra 5k. I could get off the line very quick on the beach climbs if I had this much power at the wheel.

They can keep my car for a few weeks if this was the case. :hump:

Taprod 23-01-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627999)
Ok, on the bright side of things, I got a GC loaner as you know I picked up yesterday.

Its a MY15/6 Diesel. My god its such amazing power compared to my petrol v6. If I had known the Diesels were this good, I would have plonked that extra 5k. I could get off the line very quick on the beach climbs if I had this much power at the wheel.

They can keep my car for a few weeks if this was the case. :hump:

That’s kind of what I was hoping I would get in the first place. I suspect I’ll get either a Paj (I’m a fan of those) or a prado or something. All the car rental companies seem to carry them

imaz 23-01-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1628001)
That’s kind of what I was hoping I would get in the first place. I suspect I’ll get either a Paj (I’m a fan of those) or a prado or something. All the car rental companies seem to carry them

Told me I was getting a "Compass", I said no. I need it for a full family and camping gear, so need a larger.

Taprod 23-01-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1628002)
Told me I was getting a "Compass", I said no. I need it for a full family and camping gear, so need a larger.

I got Toyota’s answer to the compass. Th kluger. ‘It’s a 4WD’ she said.

clarky50 23-01-2018 06:53 PM

my 2012 GC CRD Limited has 83000 klm and very little towing /reversing, as a side note please be aware that when the alternator dies so does everything electric on the vehicle, my situation was nearly a disaster, just exiting the M1 at exit 75 when everything started shutting down, by the time I reached the end of the exit I had nothing, except limp mode and big arms, had it been 10 minutes earlier I would have been smack in the middle of peak hour south bound in the 2nd or third lane doing 110 and then coming to a complete halt in the middle of the M1 surrounded by trucks, cars etc.So be careful .

Troutman 23-01-2018 07:16 PM

Clarky,
Were there any warning signs at all prior to the alternator dying?

clarky50 23-01-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1628035)
Clarky,
Were there any warning signs at all prior to the alternator dying?

The only thing I had was the battery light came on for about 3 mins after I first started it and it went out and came back on about 40 mins later just prior to it failing, it took about 100m for everything to stop from when the light came on.

Troutman 23-01-2018 07:45 PM

Yeah not much warning then. Thanks mate.

Taprod 23-01-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1628038)
Yeah not much warning then. Thanks mate.

For us it was the air con and radio shutting off as well as an electrical burning smell

Barboots 23-01-2018 07:52 PM

Anyone caught what the EVIC voltmeter is doing just before shit hits the fan?

I wonder if it's worth fitting an under/over volt monitor with audible alert?

clarky50 23-01-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1628039)
For us it was the air con and radio shutting off as well as an electrical burning smell

yep they all went one after the other, bit like a controlled shutdown, even the dash warning lights all came on as the particular item died. didnt or dont remember any electrical burning smell. Too busy trying to control the beast and get out of the way of everyone.

Taprod 23-01-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarky50 (Post 1628044)
yep they all went one after the other, bit like a controlled shutdown, even the dash warning lights all came on as the particular item died. didnt or dont remember any electrical burning smell. Too busy trying to control the beast and get out of the way of everyone.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the computer has a script that tells it to shut down non essential systems. I feel like that’s what it was doing, while trying to run the vehicle on the battery

Robaxe5 24-01-2018 09:12 AM

Battery Warning light -Alternator

Hi

My 2011 V6 Petrol Limited had the battery light come on while my wife was driving the car yesterday, i had her take it to the Jeep service centre. They did not have anyone to look at it on the day so it has spent the night with them, I waiting on a call today.
I suspect it is the alternator with the pending recall and would like to just be prearmed when dealing with the service people as I have a low opion of them. They took pleasure in informing me yesterday that if it is the alternator there are no parts and they would have my car for a long time!

With regards to this and what i have read here, I should expect an aftermarket alternator one installed unitl the replacemnt OEM one is avail?

And also i have the right to request a loan car similiar to my car at no cost to me?

Taprod 24-01-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robaxe5 (Post 1628071)
Hi

My 2011 V6 Petrol Limited had the battery light come on while my wife was driving the car yesterday, i had her take it to the Jeep service centre. They did not have anyone to look at it on the day so it has spent the night with them, I waiting on a call today.

I suspect it is the alternator with the pending recall and would like to just be prearmed when dealing with the service people as I have a low opion of them. They took pleasure in informing me yesterday that if it is the alternator there are no parts and they would have my car for a long time!

With regards to this and what i have read here, I should expect an aftermarket alternator one installed unitl the replacemnt OEM one is avail?

And also i have the right to request a loan car similiar to my car at no cost to me?

I’m not sure if 2011 is part of the recall but if it is, you can absolutely request an aftermarket alternator.

My experience getting a loan car was a nightmare, but your dealer may have one available making it nice and easy. As it’s a recall, you should be within your rights to request one

Robaxe5 24-01-2018 10:37 AM

Yea my car was part of the recall, thanks for the reply

Benn0 24-01-2018 10:51 AM

Contact FCA directly if the dealer starts trying to fob you off. They should give you a loan car until its fixed.