AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   tighten the steering box (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161447)

JoergM 09-06-2023 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanLuke (Post 1692205)
Are you sure it is for RHD?

That would be my concern as well.

JoergM 09-06-2023 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffroadSpike (Post 1692199)
I've ended up buying a new steering box from Edelmann on RockAuto, I'm sick and tired of having that feeling of no control over the car. The current box has 350k km. I don't think a rebuild kit will fix the box, they only sell new seals, most likely the play is in the worn ball bearings and pitman shaft gear. I checked the intermediate shaft and it is fine, no play in there. I'll review the new box once I install it

Just looked at the steering box you got from Rockauto. I reckon you wont be happy with it, when I look at the provided picture. As mentioned the only option you would have had was getting one from the UK or Ireland. There are quite some GC in UK esp. the CRD model so I would have checked if there would be a new one available.

OffroadSpike 09-06-2023 10:58 PM

I'm from Spain, all sold in RockAuto are LHD which are the right ones for me

JeanLuke 10-06-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffroadSpike (Post 1692219)
I'm from Spain, all sold in RockAuto are LHD which are the right ones for me

Lucky you! Some RHD steering parts for the WJ are getting hard to buy.

I just had to replace the upper left tie-rod end (on the arm from the pitman). It is the one tie-rod end that is unique to RHD, the others being the same as LHD. Luckily I had one squirrelled away.

[EDIT: Being an Australian forum, you might want to put something in your profile. We have and welcome overseas members, but the default is to assume you are local.]

OffroadSpike 16-06-2023 09:45 AM

Just installed the new steering gear from Edelmann today, I'm happy to say it has fixed all the steering problems I had. The gear came well packaged and with a test report for that unit. The new steering gear feels responsive on subtle wheel movement, it also fully selfcenters. Hope it lasts!

Reiver 18-08-2023 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanLuke (Post 1692229)
Some RHD steering parts for the WJ are getting hard to buy.

I just had to replace the upper left tie-rod end (on the arm from the pitman). It is the one tie-rod end that is unique to RHD, the others being the same as LHD.

I've just replaced the pitman arm to drag link ball joint - Steering Tie Rod End (WJ Pitman Arm) (52088511 / JM-00600 / Crown Automotive). This was for RHD models. I got this from Jeepey.com (£43.75 + delivery)

This side (righthand side from the drivers seat to avoid any confusion) was a lefthand thread - clockwise to undo, anti-clockwise to fit the new one. I used the 'thread count' method to get the position the same.

Am I right in thinking the pitman arm drag link adjusts the steering wheel only, not the toe in/out alignment ?

OffroadSpike 18-08-2023 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiver (Post 1693363)
I've just replaced the pitman arm to drag link ball joint - Steering Tie Rod End (WJ Pitman Arm) (52088511 / JM-00600 / Crown Automotive). This was for RHD models. I got this from Jeepey.com (£43.75 + delivery)

This side (righthand side from the drivers seat to avoid any confusion) was a lefthand thread - clockwise to undo, anti-clockwise to fit the new one. I used the 'thread count' method to get the position the same.

Am I right in thinking the pitman arm drag link adjusts the steering wheel only, not the toe in/out alignment ?

You are right. Drag link adjusts the steering wheel so you can center it. Tie rod adjusts toe.