AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

Mudmonster 09-07-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj jorg (Post 1202773)
Mine is a post date 98 and I had just had mine repaired for serious cracks.Had notice some noise and steering wobble.Was checking rod ends,panhard ball joints and whatever else than looked up and noticed the cracks between the steer box bolts and also along the bottom edge of chassis rail.Took to a panel beater who repaired it and he also found cracks under the sway bar mounts as well.Was cracked really bad in places.I run 32s and 4.5 lift.Rang the dealership who said all recalls were done on mine but did also find the recall code on the net which said the recall for that issue ended August last year.Updates are prone to the problem as well.

just while we are on the subjects of cracks in XJ's,
i have noticed on all 3 XJ's i have a 98, & 2 99 models the rear shock mounts have all cracked and ripped off the floors, if you lift up the boot capret and look just behind the back seats you will notice it, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and is it an issue, i have had one of the jeeps re-welded just to be safe though.

Kel 12-07-2011 08:17 PM

Update..... Heard from my local Jeep dealer today. They have spoken with Jeep Australia and the work/repairs will be done under the recall. Parts have been ordered and now just have to wait for the car to be fixed. So far, very happy with the service and follow up from both Jeep Australia and my local dealer City Jeep - Adelaide

dozer 12-07-2011 08:42 PM

thats good to know Kel, think i'll be taking my jeep in next week for a check up.

Kel 23-07-2011 10:40 PM

New Update....... I picked the XJ up last night..... all fixed. There has been plates welded on the chassis and all looking pretty good. Steers well, no complaints about the repairs........ HOWEVER,........ I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat. Did I forget to mention that they must have forgotten to tell me they accidentally broke that. It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesnt ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didnt rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line...... Guess who's getting a phone call first thing Monday morning????? :-x :mad::mad:

tazwegion 24-07-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207782)
I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat.

Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207782)
It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesn't ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didn't rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line......

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars ;)

Kel 24-07-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazwegion (Post 1207898)
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars ;)

It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldnt have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Regardless of whether they were "under the gun" or not, they still should have completed the repair properly and not done a near enough is good enough job which created another potential for a major incident. As for the "no fee", the dealer still gets reimbursed by Jeep, so the dealer is not out of pocket.

Is it becoming more obvious that I am a tad shitty with the Dealer involved?? :mad: They are probably lucky they werent open yesterday when I found the problem.... would have made for a interesting phone conversation :D

tazwegion 25-07-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207908)
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldn't have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Perhaps the apprentice doing the work didn't want to fess up (to his supervisor) regarding the damage? on the XJ's I've been looking at lately the cup holder extension felt like an encumbrance on the hand brake operation though I fully see the requirement of an otherwise non-existent feature ;)

Turismo07 04-08-2011 11:03 AM

Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers

ingin12 04-08-2011 01:59 PM

I have only had my Jeep for a few months. Anyone have a contact for Jeep Australia? Their website does not have a "contact us" link and my local dealer does not know about the recall. I would like to contact Jeep direct to get an answer if my '94 Cherokee Limited is covered. The steering is definitely strange, lots of free play in steering wheel, about 1-2 inches with power off.
I have a post on the subject at present, but I am a bit worried if I lose steering at 100kph.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards Ingin