AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   under body bash plates (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160883)

Jeeper6 24-08-2022 11:58 AM

Given also the ongoing fall out with supply of parts crippled since the Chinese virus circulated, that date may never even eventuate either...as you note...world wide 2014 to 2019 produced Jeep and RAM vehicles...how many are they talking about here?

LeCheese 24-08-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper6 (Post 1686510)
how many are they talking about here?

Specific numbers hadn't been announced for Aus last time I checked, as the recall isn't in progress yet, but it's 10s of thousands.

drover 24-08-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper6 (Post 1686510)
Given also the ongoing fall out with supply of parts crippled since the Chinese virus circulated, that date may never even eventuate either...as you note...world wide 2014 to 2019 produced Jeep and RAM vehicles...how many are they talking about here?

Be all of the VM's, they just say 2014 as its Yank time line, I was meaning to look and see if any of the other brands have the recall as its not just a Jeep pump, its fairly common................ Not loosing any sleep over it though.

Treebreakerbob 24-08-2022 05:11 PM

I don’t know how the roller is held to the cam in them as I only pulled the sump cover off which exposed the roller being 90 degs to the cam and grooving it. It could have a spring on top of the piston (pretty clunky) or could just be using fuel pressure as the sump is low pressure about 65 psi, anyway if just fuel pressure then running out of fuel could certainly let the roller leave the cam lobe at tdc & bdc so it could turn. If it does then goodnight. Just another reason to prime property after filter changes and don’t run out of fuel

Just a thought the roller could be convex and the cam concave to match, no could still spin at tdc, bdc but, stepped could work but life expectancy might be diminished, ah wait the reverse roller concave, cam convex, then at tdc, bdc less chance of happening especially bdc as the cam radius is a lot bigger. I like this sort of shit. Haven’t done the relay yet as back from the snow and of course have a bad case of the flu along with I’m wearing a holter monitor today, bloody AF. To try the relay I am going to file the 2 9.5 prongs down to 6.5 mm, they are a little thicker but still should go in alright. Should be ok for a durability test
Sometimes it would be nice to shut my brain down but I’ve stopped drinking, not permanently I hope, to see if my condition improves

drover 24-08-2022 06:35 PM

A link I put up elsewhere explained the mechanics/dynamics of the pump fail, just can't remember where,why or what but GM and others have had problems as well.......

Lewy2001 25-08-2022 09:27 AM

With this HPFP recall Z46...I imagine FCA/Stellantis are not taking the full hit. Bosch as the supplier of the pump would be the party coming up with the replacement pump for their faulty original part.
Bosch are a large company supplying multiple manufacturers. I wonder how much effort they are putting into upgraded pump. More than likely it will be a pump that they can use in many other applications.

drover 25-08-2022 10:54 AM

Found the info the Bosch CP4 is found in Grand Cherokee 3lt VM motori donk, Duramax LML engines, Ford Powerstrokes 6.7 lt and Cummins 6.7's diesels, probably more out there in Europe as well, the thing is there are 2 versions of the CP4 pump the CP4-1 and CP4-2, from what I have read the -1 is having more drmas than the -2, which is what we seem to have and it does look to me like dry pump operation is causing the problem where the pump starts to shave itself, gunk ends up killing the whole system, one of the engines doesn't have a lift pump which wouldn't help either, bit like Merc engines that needed a full hand prime to LP pump, if you tried to use engine for LP pump to prime it wouldn't and in the end the HP pump would wear itself out and fail, usually lost line pressure early......

My humble truckie thought is change filters regularly, its a simple DiY job really and prime before starting the engine by turning key on then when you hear the pump stop to OFF, do that about 6 -8 times before hitting start, wouldn't be surprised if failures are because mechanics just crank the engine till it gets prime .... each time a no start is a dry HP pump run, CRD HP pumps are sensitive mongrel things..... and since dealerships usually carry a couple of brands it would be easy for the spanner man to forget....... and of course the engine didn't exist until 2014 so nothing on the earlier models other than in Europe.

GM, Stallantis/Fiat have had a lawsuit kicking off since 2018 on the subject so its not a new thing....... New pump from Dencodiesel is just over $2,000aud which is good considering the price in US plus freight .................. and I notice the latest Mopar part number is now 68501449AA completely different from my earlier listing.........