AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   New Jeep Owner -2011 WK2 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103333)

briteway 14-02-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sege (Post 1165410)
As an aside how many kms do you get out of a tank touring?

That's the only complaint I have.

Touring highways = 400-450km per tank (around 17L/100km)
Touring bush and/or city driving = 300-350km per tank (around 23L/100km)

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.

briteway 14-02-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What No Jeep (Post 1165484)
Ahh but its not like our old WH Quadradrive, as the new one only had a rear ELSD, not front and rear like the previous model.

Oh no! I didn't know that. Seeing it had the QDII, I assumed it would have the same setup of locking front & rear diffs. It seems like it will be less capable (offroad) than ours then, especially with the missing LSD and independents all around.

johnv 14-02-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sege (Post 1165379)
I was thinking I would wait for the Diesel but heck I'm not a pensioner yet. Judging by your avatar you know, how is the Hemi Offroad/Touring?8-)

You too could be so lucky as to be a grey nomad, or is that crazy nomad, like me, then you would need a Diesel?:rolleyes:

But yes if you don't need a diesel.:lol:

Seriously, they are the best and most economical tow vehicle, I read (petrol) fuel consumption rates in this thread and was horrified, my CRD gets 18.5 L/100 Km towing a 2800 Kg caravan (loaded) and I think that is quite reasonable, relative to what other vehicle brands with similar towing capacities get from their rigs.

Lets hope that the new model has some aftermarket products available very soon, because as a "stockie" they lack the stability for serious towing and that applies to most 4WD vehicles, with primary design function being highway comfort.

sege 14-02-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briteway (Post 1165549)
That's the only complaint I have.

Touring highways = 400-450km per tank (around 17L/100km)
Touring bush and/or city driving = 300-350km per tank (around 23L/100km)

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.

Not flash but not much worse than my 4.7 over my 10 years of ownership. My highway figures are slightly better, at best getting 550k per tank (78l).

Marlin 14-02-2011 10:20 AM

Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=18429

The "QDII" that they call it doesn't have the front E-Lsd of WK1 as you've ascertained, but instead uses a rear E-Lsd and the front is brake based TC. We have a hour long chat with the ACTUAL engineers responsible for developing the new platform and they guaruntee the WK2 outperforms the WK off-road. A big call given the lack of travel but they swear its true.

The entire driveline save the gearbox is all new. Most guys are reporting they're really quite good off-road (esp with the air suspension), though no -one is yet to mod hard core.

kfc 14-02-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 1165600)
Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;

Yep, I am getting the rock rails, and under body skid plates installed on my limited. They were available as part of the factory accessories.

You can also get extra tire pressure monitors to install on your new set as well.

kfc 14-02-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyperth (Post 1165381)
The front skirt my be a problem off road? I looked at one in the dealers I like them alot.

Yes this is removable (apparently easily) and in the brochures actually quotes approach and departure angles with it on or off.