AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 Roof Loading (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134131)

Wanderer 20-07-2014 03:39 PM

Hello shannonohalloran

No photo but this video shows the considerable roof flex with an unloaded roof rack so I'm going to put my GoPro up there when loaded and offroad..Could be sacry

shannonohalloran 21-07-2014 12:14 AM

Holy fu*! That don't look too good, never had that problem I've stood on mine. I'm still hunting for that shipping receipt.

darthgus 21-07-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 1481258)
Hello shannonohalloran

No photo but this video shows the considerable roof flex with an unloaded roof rack so I'm going to put my GoPro up there when loaded and offroad..Could be sacry

wow... are those bars bolted to the roof or held on by the rail only? Mine certainly doesnt do anything like that...

Wanderer 21-07-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthgus (Post 1481412)
wow... are those bars bolted to the roof or held on by the rail only? Mine certainly doesnt do anything like that...

Genuine Rhino Rack mounting system for the WK2 which are bolted directly to the roof using the original mounting points inside the rails with longer bolts replacing the original..The rails are not the support . The mounting brackets fit inside the channel...I'm looking at getting the Rocky Road rails and making adapter brackets to fit the Rhino Rack to them...The flex probably would be less when averaged with an evenly distributed load but definitel not exceeding the 68kg limit (GC owners manual) which includes the weight of the rack system...Doesn't leave that much load capacity left. The flex is noticeable on each of the four corners when moderately pulled down. I was thinking of putting my spare alloy wheel up there so will have to be careful to weight all the gear I was hoping to carry for my up coming Simpson trip...The worry is that if continaully flexed to any great extent what happens if metal fatigue starts...I'm about to fit a third bar in the centre but will have to fabricate a bracket because of the roof curve..Hopefully this will distribute the load around 6 points instead of 4 and reduce any flex.

Markus 15-02-2017 09:00 AM

Just placed an order for the Frontrunner Slimline II rack. Seems to have more rigidity with the custom feet for the rack securing to the 6 mounting points on the roof and removing the OE chrome rail. Will let you know how it goes once installed

Benn0 15-02-2017 09:04 AM

I've got the uneek slimline roof rack rated to 125kg, it's been fine, no sign of movement.

timsarg 15-02-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1604228)
I've got the uneek slimline roof rack rated to 125kg, it's been fine, no sign of movement.

happy with it ?

i'm considering it but at $1500 :?