AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   The bug is back (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151896)

desertman 01-03-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ RIDER (Post 1629990)
Picked up the car yesterday morning after nearly 6 weeks without it. Drove it to work and then home in the afternoon which is over an hours trip and the car went well. The car has been reliable for 3 or 4 days while at the dealers also where it would have limped by now. Looks like the boost sensor was the issue after a lot of trial and error. The selector recall was done at the same time and I reckon its using more fuel but I will keep an eye on that, but its running really well....at the moment. Will test it out with the caravan when I get a bit of confidence back in it. Keeping everything crossed..There were a few codes that needed looking into and that took a bit of sorting until the culprit was found. Geez I hope its right now.

They had my vehicle for 3 months to fix an overheating issue. It took 5 dealerships, 6 months, 4 flat top trips, 3 lots of hire cars and then 3 months off the road before the car was finally fixed. The cost to FCA must have been huge!

Problem being a dealer network that is under trained and can't really fix an issue that does not show up on the scanner. Even if it does show on a scanner the lack of training and mechanical skills is a headache for consumers.

Cheers,

DM

Tog 01-03-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertman (Post 1630016)
They had my vehicle for 3 months to fix an overheating issue. It took 5 dealerships, 6 months, 4 flat top trips, 3 lots of hire cars and then 3 months off the road before the car was finally fixed. The cost to FCA must have been huge!

Problem being a dealer network that is under trained and can't really fix an issue that does not show up on the scanner. Even if it does show on a scanner the lack of training and mechanical skills is a headache for consumers.

Cheers,

DM

That's half the problem these days mechanics don't fix they are just spare parts fitters and if the scanner can't tell them they are stumped

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SouthernComfort 02-03-2018 06:28 AM

Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit, but I've drawn the conclusion that finding a "good" independent jeep mechanic in your region is worthwhile, particularly if your car is out of warranty. Same applies to independent parts suppliers. Having found and experienced these, wild horses couldn't drag me into a dealership now.

Small operators are usually specialized with well rounded knowledge and experience. I like that you often get to deal with the guy who runs the business, therefore less likely to get an apprentice loose on your car (charged at prof. rates).

I'm certain that even if my car was still in warranty and dealers were stuffing me around to the ridiculous extent described in here, I'd consider it worth the relatively small investment of getting a knowledgeable mechanic's diagnosis in a bid to save time and preserve sanity.

We shouldn't have to resort to such measures when a dealer network exists to service warranty needs, but their general (lack of) service and aptitude may drive us to it. Life is too short.