AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 2012-13. Issues to look for? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153932)

Troutman 04-10-2018 03:18 PM

I quite like it now, but it certainly took some getting used to.....especially wanting to quickly from D to R.

AnthropoidApe 04-10-2018 04:39 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance.

The 8-speed auto gives better range and fuel economy, maybe about 10% I think. The 8-speed models are also a bit newer so they have a bigger touch screen and different cruise control (???) (I am only looking at diesel overlands, or maybe a summit at the right price).

On the other hand they are a good $10k more expensive. Would you spring the extra for a MY2013-4 vs a 2012 model, assuming similar kms travelled?

SouthernComfort 05-10-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthropoidApe (Post 1640457)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance.

The 8-speed auto gives better range and fuel economy, maybe about 10% I think. The 8-speed models are also a bit newer so they have a bigger touch screen and different cruise control (???) (I am only looking at diesel overlands, or maybe a summit at the right price).

On the other hand they are a good $10k more expensive. Would you spring the extra for a MY2013-4 vs a 2012 model, assuming similar kms travelled?

Is an 8sp box worth $10k more than a 5sp? Opinions are bound to be biased according to personal experience. I'm happy to speak in favour of my 5sp, but my car is very well sorted overall. Would I swap it just to get a later used one with 8sp? Nope, not for $10k. It's fair enough that others will point out the attributes of the 8sp, and if you become focused on 8sp then that's what you will end up with. It's a personal choice and your money, but if you are genuinely open minded, then my view is go for the best car with the best provenance overall, regardless of gearbox being the ultimate decider.

Fuel economy: I'm getting 9.8L/100km AV. That's a pretty even balance of urban & country, plus towing 2.5t a few times per year. Stock set up, no performance mods (I do have a catch can). As for range, I get around 950km, a non-issue for me.

AnthropoidApe 08-10-2018 07:31 AM

Okay, so still looking around... Have I correctly understood that only some model years have the rear glass that can open separately from the rear door? Is it only 2013? It seems likr a desirable feature to me since I will sometimes have a bike rack blocking the rear door.

TRA1LHAWK 08-10-2018 09:54 AM

That is correct 2013 was the last year of manufacture with the flip glass window.

AnthropoidApe 08-10-2018 11:34 AM

Thanks Trailhawk. Does this mean there was an overlap period when they had the 8-speed transmission plus the flip glass, or did everything change at once? Do you know?

SouthernComfort 08-10-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthropoidApe (Post 1640611)
Okay, so still looking around... Have I correctly understood that only some model years have the rear glass that can open separately from the rear door? Is it only 2013? It seems likr a desirable feature to me since I will sometimes have a bike rack blocking the rear door.

The flip glass was in from 2011-2013. I think it changed with MY14 models on. I find it useful with the bike rack on, pity they deleted it later.