AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Lift and Tyres of your JK (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84664)

jktom 10-06-2010 06:43 PM

Backspace

Hi Gravel
Ahhhhhh, got it. Sorry had to go away and analyse it. I learnt that an 8" rim is measured on the inner flange, however backspace is measured from the outer flange to the centre. An 8" rim is actually approx 9" wide from outer flange to outer flange, so 4" back space is not the centre of the rim. 0mm offset = 4.5" backspace on a 8" Rim. I think the JK has a 41mm offset, So the largest offset legally (if you want to stay legal) is 16mm offset (It does not matter what size RIM it is). A 16mm offset = 5.1" of 130mm.
I posted this as I am sure there are many others with the same confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravel (Post 1084505)
No that will be negative @ 13mm...

See link...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Best I have found and is great for doing comparisons...

wrangler2010 11-06-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambo76 (Post 986050)
jeep: 07 sport softtop
Lift: OME 2" Lift
Tyres: BFG KM2"s 305/70/16
Rims: 16x8 Eagle Alloy's

Does this wheel tyre combo have a rolling diameter about the same as a stock tyre? Also I heard that you can't fit a 16" rim on a 2010 Wrangler, is this true?

jktom 11-06-2010 12:30 PM

Tyres

As per the last post, 16" wheels will not fit on a 2010 model. Check out your front brake calipers, they are very close to your rims.

Check this out for you tyre size question.
http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler2010 (Post 1085222)
Does this wheel tyre combo have a rolling diameter about the same as a stock tyre? Also I heard that you can't fit a 16" rim on a 2010 Wrangler, is this true?

Gravel 11-06-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jktom (Post 1085013)
Hi Gravel
Ahhhhhh, got it. Sorry had to go away and analyse it. I learnt that an 8" rim is measured on the inner flange, however backspace is measured from the outer flange to the centre. An 8" rim is actually approx 9" wide from outer flange to outer flange, so 4" back space is not the centre of the rim. 0mm offset = 4.5" backspace on a 8" Rim. I think the JK has a 41mm offset, So the largest offset legally (if you want to stay legal) is 16mm offset (It does not matter what size RIM it is). A 16mm offset = 5.1" of 130mm.
I posted this as I am sure there are many others with the same confusion.

jktom,

You are correct with your new calculations... If you want to stay "legal" you need to keep to about 5"of back space. the only problem is, if you want to run 35's or higher you will need at least 4.75" and ideally 4.5" BS if ya buying 8"or 9" rim sizes.

However; Legal also states the you can’t put 35's or higher on any way... but you could get away with 34's..

Note 34's according to the Links in this thread = most 315x75R16's or 315x70R17's actually measure when fitted less than 34.5"

For example My MTZ (33's) on a 7" rim actually measure closer to 32.2" rather than 33".

If you want 33"s or 35"s buy 35"s not 315's.... if ya know what I mean... they are slightly taller...

The problem you had with your swaybar links would be resolved with the BS mentioned above..

That's why my links are in the GGE until the new rims arrive...

Mr Woodycocswell 14-06-2010 09:42 PM

I wass thinking of fitting an Old man emu lift fit to my JK 4 door untill i got a quote for $1260 is this the going rate for a 2" lift kit. I was then told i would need to get castor coreting bolts that would then cost me another $110.

Would the money be better spent on say a set of mopar 2" springs and a set of Rancho adj shocks and cam bolts

Peoples opinions on this would be apreciated

flexytj 14-06-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Woodycocswell (Post 1086373)
I wass thinking of fitting an Old man emu lift fit to my JK 4 door untill i got a quote for $1260 is this the going rate for a 2" lift kit. I was then told i would need to get castor coreting bolts that would then cost me another $110.

Would the money be better spent on say a set of mopar 2" springs and a set of Rancho adj shocks and cam bolts

Peoples opinions on this would be apreciated

short answer is no , get poly performance coils and upper control arms to correct the castor and use what ever shocks take your fancy ie fox , king , rancho etc

wranglertj 14-06-2010 09:56 PM

I reckon there are better kits for the money than the OME which are much more comprehensive. Look at some of the vendors that sponsor Ausjeep.
Beauty of Mopar i guess is that it is still covered by warranty but thats its limits IMHO but i guess it depends what you want from the kit and waht you plan to use your JK for