AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Recall: Clockspring (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147218)

mike_nofx 18-01-2017 07:59 PM

Just got my recall letter in the mail for my 07 JKU CRD.

My clockspring stopped working about 6 months ago and I replaced it with one from Jeepkonnection and have had no issues since.

I might hold out on getting the recall done as it seems pointless.

pete 56 18-01-2017 08:29 PM

Got my letter yesterday, '08 2door. In two minds what to do, got mine replaced by car dealer as light was on & chimes sounding when I bought it. Took 6 weeks as no part available but all good since then, although I have no proof that it was done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

humdingerslammer 19-01-2017 05:16 AM

Well... I bought my JKU in 2007. It has only taken 9.5 years for them to fix something (clock spring) they knew was crook.

Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.

Will also be interesting to see what the JL front suspension/end will look like and whether it will, also, be prone to DW.

The main reason I will not update to a newer JK is because of this, and because of the shitty service reputation that FCA/Jeep dealers have in this country. Outright arrogance, at all levels, I say!!

Banshee 19-01-2017 06:36 AM

From all I have read, there is a certain fix for DW, and it is not used in the JL.

I believe it is called something like "Independent Front Susension", whatever that is.

:p

MightyMouse 19-01-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humdingerslammer (Post 1601610)
Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.

I understand where you coming from but DW is a side effect of the basic suspension design. Its physics not manufacturing. Unfortunately the way Jeep apply the suspension concept makes it particularly prone to DW with worn ( i.e. real world components ) whilst other makes are MUCH more forgiving and less prone to issues and this is something Jeep need to significantly improve as you are saying.

All similar suspension layouts are potentially prone to the same side effect.... just that Jeep don't seem to have done the design work required to minimize its consequences in the real world.

RogJK 19-01-2017 01:07 PM

Called my local dealer service manager to enquire about replacement of clock spring, apparently there is lots of stock (they offered to do it next week but I'll wait until next month as I am travelling), also they do not need to access the ECU / reflash it or anything. Specifically told service manager that speedo correction and disabling the TPMS has been done, not a problem.

Das_Colonel 19-01-2017 03:50 PM

My local dealer has ordered the parts. Hoping to have them in within a week or so.