AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 Bullbar - When ARB? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117777)

scarps 06-03-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 1363178)
Hi Scraps
Did he mention whether it would fit the 2011's as well as your 2012, or could you ask next time you talk to him?
Cheers Yoda

I'll ask, not sure

Wanderer 08-03-2013 05:05 PM

Good news if true

Appears that ARB dealers now have a part number for a WK2 bullbar

Seems ARB couldn't ignore the WK2 sales figures anylonger and have decided to do a bullbar which will be in stores June this year..

Have this from an ARB dealer so hope it's correct because it's a game changer for me....All I need now is the Airflow snorkel and a GJC Ltd CRD + ARB bar will be in my garage. Hopefully the new 8 speed..

PT-Bne 10-03-2013 08:23 PM

The new 8 speed is the 2014 model, which has a different front end to the 2011-13 model. So the bar that ARB do eventually release won't suit that car.

ARB have been so hopeless with this car by the time they eventually release something for it, it will be the old model. :rolleyes:

Wanderer 10-03-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PT-Bne (Post 1364382)
The new 8 speed is the 2014 model, which has a different front end to the 2011-13 model. So the bar that ARB do eventually release won't suit that car.:

A bit off topic but does it hsve a full size spare or one of those stupid space savers??

GMWK2 11-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

A bit off topic but does it hsve a full size spare or one of those stupid space savers??
A bit of both, they have a slightly narrower / taller tyre on a steel rim. (A 245/ 70 from memory).

You should really be insisting on a full size spare on a mag when you order. I always did this with my company Commodores - it was a no cost option. And of course I never had a flat on the Commodores in 12 years and 3 cars. Stupidly I didnt check this on the Jeep - I would have presumed that a 4x4 comes with a full size spare.

Wanderer 23-03-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregm (Post 1364483)
A bit of both, they have a slightly narrower / taller tyre on a steel rim. (A 245/ 70 from memory).

You should really be insisting on a full size spare on a mag when you order. I always did this with my company Commodores - it was a no cost option. And of course I never had a flat on the Commodores in 12 years and 3 cars. Stupidly I didnt check this on the Jeep - I would have presumed that a 4x4 comes with a full size spare.

This is what I've been told so stand to be corrected....Appears the spare is a steel with a 245 with a profile giving same rolling dia as the OE tyres..Why the steel spare with a narrow tyre?? It seems that the 18" or 20" alloys with the wider stock or optional tyres won't fit in the spare wheel well.

Hmmm that may sound workable with the narrow spare (on road but offroad??) but what do you do with the flat when your loaded up if it won't fit the spare well under your cargo (which you have to unload to get to the spare....real pain in the A)....Roof rack maybe?? But what if you have that packed as I do??....Seems the answer is keep the steel as a 2nd spare and fit a tyre carrier with an full size alloy (if you can get a carrier..maybe alter the brackets on the WH Formula Offroad carrier)..Here we go again. But at least you know you can get a steel to fit

Another question: What do you do if you fit taller tyres and the rolling dia of the spare doen't match and you are unable to fit one with the same dia in the spare well??

Always always look on the positive side even if Detroit is against you

Numb Thumbs 23-03-2013 03:39 PM

I have a full size spare on an OEM rim. It fits, but the floor is raised a tiny amount.

The standard zpare is a speed restricted steel with a narrower taller tyre of the same diameter as the others.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;-)

bmackin 24-03-2013 07:47 AM

I got this reply from ARB 2 days ago...

Thank you again for your email.

Since we last communicated late last year, the project for a Grand Cherokee bar has begun.

ARB has faced a number of challenges, including waiting on arrival of factory jeep parts that are destroyed as part of the research program.

There are unique aspects to certain models of this vehicle, such as the radar system, that have required specific investigations.

The project is well underway, however it is too early to give ETA expectations.

scarps 24-03-2013 08:11 AM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmackin (Post 1368005)
I got this reply from ARB 2 days ago...

Thank you again for your email.

Since we last communicated late last year, the project for a Grand Cherokee bar has begun.

ARB has faced a number of challenges, including waiting on arrival of factory jeep parts that are destroyed as part of the research program.

There are unique aspects to certain models of this vehicle, such as the radar system, that have required specific investigations.

The project is well underway, however it is too early to give ETA expectations.

Thnx for the update, sadly maybe all too late. Think they'll launch it just in time for the new 2014 model with a different front end. They must be targeting the 2nd hand WK2 market.

I had mine scanned by Yankee Dave 3 weeks ago, and will happily recommend and support a local manufacturer with a keen interest in Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bmackin 24-03-2013 09:19 AM

Hey scarps,

Who is Yankee Dave? Is he building a Bull Bar for the front end? I've heard RRO is looking to build one as well, and is looking for volunteers to help them build a prototype.

I'm very curious to find a good Bull Bar. I've had a look at the bar from ECB and just can't bring myself to do it.

Magnum PI 24-03-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmackin (Post 1368033)
Hey scarps,

Who is Yankee Dave? Is he building a Bull Bar for the front end? I've heard RRO is looking to build one as well, and is looking for volunteers to help them build a prototype.

I'm very curious to find a good Bull Bar. I've had a look at the bar from ECB and just can't bring myself to do it.

Yankydave is a forum member and has started making all things jeep, http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/ he is currently working on bars for all models, and all will be ADR approved, good bloke to deal with

bmackin 24-03-2013 09:33 AM

Thanks acko73. Good news. I'll see if I can get in contact with him. :)

Numb Thumbs 24-03-2013 07:22 PM

Does anyone know what sort of design he is planning for the Grand Cherokee?

Is it the US type which is just a metal bumper or the Aussie design with either one or three hoops above the bumper?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

LeCheese 24-03-2013 08:19 PM

I'm guessing something similar to the KK bar he has ( http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/kk-cherokee-bull-bar/ ) but that's just a guess

scarps 24-03-2013 09:36 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs (Post 1368160)
Does anyone know what sort of design he is planning for the Grand Cherokee?

Is it the US type which is just a metal bumper or the Aussie design with either one or three hoops above the bumper?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

3 hoops to give protection to the sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YankeeDave 24-03-2013 09:36 PM

Hi guys

for those interested I've started a new thread for updates to the bull bar i'm designing for the WK2

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=123466

Also, I will be doing a triple hoop for this car as well.

I've started the design, and unlike ARB I'll put progress CAD pics up as well to get your comments.

Dave

yoda42 25-03-2013 08:40 AM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Hi All.

Could some one who lives in Vic with a 2011 WK2 contact YankeeDave and arrange for him to be able to have a look at the 2011 front end, so he can make his bars 2011 compatible.
I live in Darwin, and the drive is a tad long otherwise I'd give him mine to look at!.
Cheers Yoda

Bomber 14-06-2013 02:42 PM

Bullbar for WK2 now not likely, they have already scanned a WK3 to modify for it instead....

yoda42 14-06-2013 03:27 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber (Post 1389848)
Bullbar for WK2 now not likely, they have already scanned a WK3 to modify for it instead....

Hi bomber? No such vehicle as a WK3!, ARB have scanned a WK2 and are apparently wanting an owner to donate there vehicle for testing!, ARB are apparently waiting to buy a WK2 but want a MY14 which go on sale next week!

timbotrog 14-06-2013 04:27 PM

Yoda it's called sarcasm...

2014 GC WK is already in stock in Victoria btw.

Bomber 14-06-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbotrog (Post 1389873)

... and according to the sales rep I talked to when driving one yesterday it will be called the WK3...

either way same rep (who provided ARB with said 2014 car) said no 2012 bullbar will arrive due to front end changes on 2014 model.

Numb Thumbs 14-06-2013 06:04 PM

All the better for Yankee Dave...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

scarps 14-06-2013 06:10 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

As the originator of this thread, and also given many of us are working with Yankee Dave on a WK2 winch bar, no sleep lost if the decision is that ARB are not going to deliver a WK2 bar.

If however they are going to deliver a bar for the WK3 or WK2 2014, then my sincere congratulations. Hopefully the participants in this thread from day 1 have somehow contributed to raising the profile and awareness of our new Jeeps in the aftermarket market and future GC owners may benefit.

As I have said many times, I had long been a big fan of ARB, but their lack of interest has also resulted in mine.

Numb Thumbs 14-06-2013 06:17 PM

Well said, Scarps.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

ChrisW 14-06-2013 07:37 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Dave! Smash it out! Sounds like you've cornered the market on 3 years of Wk2 cars... And there are heaps of them around.

yoda42 14-06-2013 08:09 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomber (Post 1389903)
... and according to the sales rep I talked to when driving one yesterday it will be called the WK3...

either way same rep (who provided ARB with said 2014 car) said no 2012 bullbar will arrive due to front end changes on 2014 model.

Your sales rep is telling you porky's!, it's still a WK2! or to be completely correct in Australia the WK !, it's just had a mid cycle refresh!, the WK3 is not due for @ 5 years and will be big redesign !, and even if you had the cash in your hand at time of test drive the dealer would not of let you drive it away untill next week!

yoda42 14-06-2013 08:12 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbotrog (Post 1389873)

Doesn't sound like it from the above post!, just a car sales man spinning S&@t when they know sweet FA about the vehicle their trying to sell!.
In stock yes but NO ones been able to take one home yet!!!!!

First time jeeper 14-06-2013 08:28 PM

I fo believe arb are doing a 2012 bull bar the minor changes to the frount end of the new model wont affect the design of the bar and i have just recived this email

have just spoken ARB Corp and at this stage we are looking at the bar still being in design. There is talk that a prototype has been built but no ETA on a retail availability yet. From experience on seeing the development of other bullbars I would expect it to be possibly 2-3 months away still.

Sorry about that, keep an eye on the website for future updates

Regards,

Pete Morris

Store Manager

ARB Newcastle 89 Griffiths Road, Lambton, NSW, 2299

GMEMUD 15-06-2013 06:32 AM

The fact that ARB is waiting for a 2014 model to be scanned for a bar for a model that has been around since 2011 fully explains ARB's commitment to Jeep.

Wanderer 15-06-2013 01:08 PM

Hmmm...Was talking to a mate who use to own a 4x4 ARB shop and now does 4x4 service & repairs...He's just bought a 2012 GC and added Mopar slide sliders (really looks good) and says that he's ordered an ARB bar for it and he has been told is due for delivery end of this month..Since he knows ARB contacts from his previous 4x4 shop, he is positive that's the case.

fester 15-06-2013 02:19 PM

Seems we have a lot of he should know and he's got a good idea that and a lot of inuendo from gossip from people that really are not in any position to have any idea what ARB are up to. Has anyone actually bothered to get it directly from the people who are in the know and provided the official timeline (as vague as it was) previously.

Seems odd, given how close ARB were, that they would abandon releasing a bar for the pre '14 models given how large the market is for existing owners let alone the forward market will be for those vehicles as they become second hand and even more affordable for people who truely want to wheel them. Also there has been no confirmed report of how different the front end of the update model is. If the mounting frame area has not changed and the light area is the only change and not that significant in the below bumper area then given these modern bars are almost always fitted into a cut away bumper it is quite possible that the same bar design could be tweaked to work with both or only slightly varied between the 2 to have 2 suitable bars.

Not that I'm supporting ARB one way or the other as I am not even int he market for the bar but seems a common practice to condemn and write them off without even gettign the facts. Fine to support Yankee Dave given his design is good and has been designed in conjunction with owners input etc etc but to condemn ARB without actual facts seems a bit lame and that negativity is not going to promote them to try any harder. By all means condemn them based on fact, I'm not trying to pump them up, but it's not constructive to condemn them on hearsay and guesses.

Closest we have to something that not a guess is Wanderers contact. Even first time jeepers info is still supportive even though that contact is still is an educated guess.

yoda42 15-06-2013 02:30 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fester (Post 1390143)
Seems we have a lot of he should know and he's got a good idea that and a lot of inuendo from gossip from people that really are not in any position to have any idea what ARB are up to. Has anyone actually bothered to get it directly from the people who are in the know and provided the official timeline (as vague as it was) previously.

Seems odd, given how close ARB were, that they would abandon releasing a bar for the pre '14 models given how large the market is for existing owners let alone the forward market will be for those vehicles as they become second hand and even more affordable for people who truely want to wheel them. Also there has been no confirmed report of how different the front end of the update model is. If the mounting frame area has not changed and the light area is the only change and not that significant in the below bumper area then given these modern bars are almost always fitted into a cut away bumper it is quite possible that the same bar design could be tweaked to work with both or only slightly varied between the 2 to have 2 suitable bars.

Not that I'm supporting ARB one way or the other as I am not even int he market for the bar but seems a common practice to condemn and write them off without even gettign the facts. Fine to support Yankee Dave given his design is good and has been designed in conjunction with owners input etc etc but to condemn ARB without actual facts seems a bit lame and that negativity is not going to promote them to try any harder. By all means condemn them based on fact, I'm not trying to pump them up, but it's not constructive to condemn them on hearsay and guesses.

Closest we have to something that not a guess is Wanderers contact. Even first time jeepers info is still supportive even though that contact is still is an educated guess.

Fester, many of have asked and asked over several years and the only answer we get is "soon keep an eye on the web site!"
After 2 years of this I have given up on ARB, and will go with the company that listens and communicates with their customers !, UNEEK4X4 !!!

fester 15-06-2013 02:46 PM

And I'm nto suggesting you should done anything different Yoda, I'm meerly suggesting we base our opinions and decisions on facts. What I'm against is the talk that ARB have ditched the pre '14 models alltogether, I see nothign to support this line. Whilst it is quite reasonable for some to decide not to support ARB at all for any products given their lack of attention to date, I just don't see it helping the "relationship" to just bag them out allt he time without fact.

Whilst I see proof that ARB are designing a bar for the pre '14 model by word of Sam, I see absolutely nothing to say they have abandoned the design. Maybe there never was a design who knows for sure but I do know if it were truely that close to finalisation it doesn't make sense to abandon it.

Lets see if Dave can outdo them again and come up with a facelift design (if needed) for the '14 model first as well.

Wanderer 15-06-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fester (Post 1390143)
Seems we have a lot of he should know and he's got a good idea that and a lot of inuendo from gossip from people

Well that's life on a forum.....But then ARB have always been painfully slow with Jeep if ever other than the Wrangler (and it's big US market)..Only adds to the frustration and hearsay...This forum did the trick with the Commander J&J bullbar and Airflow snorkel when none of the others would touch it...Amazing what a united voice will do...

CRDSTU 15-06-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 1390162)
Well that's life on a forum.....But then ARB have always been painfully slow with Jeep if ever other than the Wrangler (and it's big US market)..Only adds to the frustration and hearsay...This forum did the trick with the Commander J&J bullbar and Airflow snorkel when none of the others would touch it...Amazing what a united voice will do...

Funny you should mention that Wanderer - and that's exactly my take on it.......and just another reason why tomorrow YES SUNDAY Im booked in with OUR OWN WK2 for a 3D laser scan as we're now going to develop the WK2snorkel ourselves - sick and tired of waiting - just like Uneek4x4 in regards to bulbar.

Numb Thumbs 15-06-2013 11:46 PM

The Airflow snorkel should be out in a month or two.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

CRDSTU 16-06-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs (Post 1390269)
The Airflow snorkel should be out in a month or two.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Where have I heard that before !! Be that as it may we want to make sure the design is spot on, modern, sleek and matching proportions to the vehicle. The WK2 is a very sleek look and I think that look will be ruined in a flash if not focused on when designing.

createit 16-06-2013 07:13 AM

Hey Stu, great to hear you are looking at the Snorkel. How about we put it as its own thread like the bull bar thread for the bar by Dave. Then you can keep us up to date and show that it will become a reality. What do you think?

briteway 16-06-2013 09:41 AM

I remember reading this forum a lot before I eventually joined, and all the fuss with the WH bar and the snorkel and Stu working hard trying to source them. I can see why you're taking up the design yourself Stu, as I remember your opinions when you got the first Airflow snorkel for the WH. Good onya. You now have built a great reputation in Jeep mods of down under!!!

yoda42 16-06-2013 12:07 PM

WK2 Bullbar - When ARB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRDSTU (Post 1390209)
Funny you should mention that Wanderer - and that's exactly my take on it.......and just another reason why tomorrow YES SUNDAY Im booked in with OUR OWN WK2 for a 3D laser scan as we're now going to develop the WK2snorkel ourselves - sick and tired of waiting - just like Uneek4x4 in regards to bulbar.

Way to go Stu!, please keep us informed as a snorkel is at the top of our list right next to the bull bar!.
Cheers Yoda