AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hot Topic of week (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Manual vs automatic (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122477)

Brockie 31-03-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zander (Post 1368802)
I like manuals because I can downshift before a turn (or a steep dip), hold the gear through and upshift when I wan't.

When they invent an auto that can change gears for not what is happening but what is about to happen then sign me up.

Hey Zander,

What you want already exists. My WH auto allows me to lock into 4th (or 3rd or 2nd) to keep the revs up and will even drop gears further automatically if the revs drop too much while going uphill, or I can pre-emp that by a quick sideways push of the lever.

I also agree that you should be in the right gear at the right revs BEFORE you enter the obstacle. With my 3.0 TD auto I can do all of this. I will sign you up.:lol:

CreepersJeepers 03-08-2013 01:28 PM

Definitely horses for courses IMHO!

I couldn't imagine my XJ with anything other than a slush box! Ideal for daily driving and keeps the momentum in sand etc... A nice torquey donk obviously helps with that too.

My other car is a little bit sportier and I find a proper manual much more engaging a drive.

Some people will prefer one or the other absolutely and that's fine, also the SMG type shifters are undoubtedly the most technically superior solution but still nowhere near as much fun as a car with 3 pedals for this little black duck!

ohmygrodd 03-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaddowEdge (Post 1369487)
In the 50s dodge had a hydro drive box. You had a clutch pedal and a three speed column shift. You could take off in every gear and stop in every gear without the use of the clutch. The "hrydo drive" interfaced to making a slipping surface so you could get up to speed if you were in say third gear. Was kind of fun to drive. The gears were not synchro meshed so it was well a fun car to drive.

Also in the 50's BMW had this but only in first gear. You would use the clutch to engage 1st then you could sit with just foot on brake at stop sign or whatever. But you would need the clutch to go up and down the gears.

sladey 03-08-2013 06:39 PM

I'm all for manual trans, I have never owned an auto, but, the more time I spend wheeling in really tricky terrain, all day, or for several days, clutching what must be thousands of times per day, I do sometimes want to give my left foot a break, and this is before the heavy duty clutch goes in, once that happens it will only piss me off more. I hate to say it but the next 4wd I own will be an auto, and I can happily keep a manual for any little daily driven pocket rocket i may so happen to buy.

that and the gf cant drive manual, which is good for now coz she ain't driving the JK :P

warnabrother 03-08-2013 08:40 PM

Re: Manual vs automatic

Once you've driven an auto offroad, it's very hard to go back to a manual.. especially on tough hills being able to pick your way through with control.. restarts also more controlled with little to no wheel spin..

Sent from my Samsung Note Phablet using Tapatalk 2

AroGantz 03-08-2013 08:53 PM

I'm lazy so auto boxes all the way, semi auto in my XR8 was a lot more fun that the 6 speed version when I wanted a manual. As such the auto is a requirement for every car I buy.