AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141408)

rustynuts 23-10-2015 08:13 PM

You don't need multiple holes in a thermostat. A 3/8th hole in the TOP of it can work well. I am not a fan of ever removing a thermostat. One of their purposes is to restrict flow so the coolant is pushed up against the water jackets.
Think of it like this. If you poured water onto a BBQ hotplate, the water would "bead" into tiny balls restricting heat transfer. If you to push the water onto the hotplate, it would transfer heat better with a much better surface area.

oldon 23-10-2015 08:42 PM

To keep coolant pressure in the coolant gallery, with or without thermostat, make a restrictor for top hose after thermostat housing. Check Gojeep's site for info. Regards oldon.

bruggz351 23-10-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuluBelle (Post 1554918)
Well junglejuice I thought about that but after reading about thermostats constant flow etc. I dunnO? the ECU thinks its running choke from what I have read + too much flow through the radiator wont cool down fast enough
before re-entering the block? I thought about getting a thermostat and drilling multiple holes in it to always have a minor flow and constantly slowly changing the coolant instead of big bursts when the thermostat opens apparently my thermostat opens at 85 deg

I pulled the 6x4 trailer full of junk to the dump today it was a hot day here in central qld after unloading went for a drive to the car gravelard driving around some bush tracks slow towing the trailer for about 15 20 mins the temp was stable at around 110 112 looking good

I dunno if it might be a airflow issue at speed like I said the rad is new but what about the air cond rad and transmission cooler rad 1996 vintage? I might remove the grill tomorrow and preasure wash them might be junk in there restricting the airflow cant hurt

still thinking about a scoop dumping air on the exhaust manifold and some vents for traffic or slow 4x4 not that I have done any 4x4ing its taken me years on a pensioner budget to get this beast back to life had been sitting for 3 years before I got it
lets see how the pressure wash goes

Gday LuluBelle.
Just thought I'd interject here.
In regards to pressure cleaning the condenser etc, be careful not to use too much pressure. The fins, especially if old, can bend easily. Virtually blocking off all air flow. This will make your situation worse.

Just a fyi.

Cheers

Sent from my FRED

rainman 24-10-2015 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuluBelle (Post 1554918)
Well junglejuice I thought about that but after reading about thermostats constant flow etc. I dunnO? the ECU thinks its running choke from what I have read + too much flow through the radiator wont cool down fast enough

True enough not really an issue with a stock pump/ radiator/ thermostat.
What is 'ECU thinks its running choke '

junglejuice 24-10-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainman (Post 1554959)
What is 'ECU thinks its running choke '

I'm assuming he means that the system will run richer when at cool temps....

As for running without a thermostat, I never recommend this for "normal" use but for a test it's fine, especially now that we are into the warmer months, if the temps run lower without a thermostat then it will show that there is a problem with the t/stat, I've had issues with aftermarket t/stats which is why I run an OEM unit...

LuluBelle 24-10-2015 02:13 PM

Well I pulled the grill out and pressure washed the air con rad and tranny cooler the didn't look like they were all blocked up but after washing on spray which did not hurt them I started the car and turned the aircon on and could feel the change in air pressure created by the fans so I assume if I can feel that air should be able to pass through at highway speeds
anyway it cant hurt

EDIT Hours Later
After power washing the air cond rad and posting I got thinking if the airflow is restricted the new rad isn't getting air fans are only sucking hot air trapped between the rads
I wasv looking at my aircon rad and its big coveres the new rad behind it ok I washed it and felt the fans like I said above BUT! if you look at your rad tranny cooler the fins are wider than the standard aircon rad realy close fins what I thougt I might try is to get a metal nail file and every 3rd of 4th fin stick it through thus creating a real hole for air to get to the engine rad you might squish a fin here n there but there would more air getting through opinions I think it cant hurt as I am not a big aircon user

secondly thanks oldon this guy is a interesting read gojeep

http://go.jeep-xj.info/

anyway I am going to have a closer look at the aircon rad tomorrow and see if I can squeeze a nail file in

werd 25-10-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldon (Post 1554944)
To keep coolant pressure in the coolant gallery, with or without thermostat, make a restrictor for top hose after thermostat housing. Check Gojeep's site for info. Regards oldon.

I tried this. Didn't notice any difference.

I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it!