AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

Lithgaow2790 27-10-2019 01:33 PM

Does any one know if there has been an update for the alternator recall to include diesels.

Thanks

Barboots 27-10-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithgaow2790 (Post 1654509)
Does any one know if there has been an update for the alternator recall to include diesels.

Thanks

You can guarantee that it will be posted on every Jeep group on an hourly basis if it does 🤣

Mousie 02-01-2020 04:23 PM

I’ve just reached out to a supplier in UK so see if we can buy the regulator packs as the alternator itself will be in perfect condition and see if I can get a price for drop in replacement packs. Obviously, a DIYer or backup for any local mechanic / auto elec can deal with it ASAP vs waiting for a while in remote places etc. If I find a source, will post wide with a tute to follow to keep with you and the part.

Surprisingly, this part is very common and here is an example that will work as physically same but some are listed at 180a diodes vs our 220a. Mind you a 220a claim might be just that. More to follow when I confirm a lot of this and find a source. Like to find out the connection mechanism as one could potentially replace without removal of the alternator with the usual aches and pains. The three holes are the insulated mounts I suspect so the days of soldering are well and truely over, just a few bolts and cover involved. Just google B078R3XWZ2. Also if you don't mind soldering, then having a couple of 12v-50a diodes 20-24V to identify the failed one or two and then just replace, costs are cheaper.

Here is what our Jeep ones look like and codes are in the mix of many serials stated. Sorry this one is on amazon now but URL will not go to page hence pichttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...da2ff6b4f3.jpg

Troutman 02-01-2020 07:55 PM

That's good info mate, very interested.

bjm 03-01-2020 02:59 AM

The correct number for our 220 amp alternator appears to be B01N55C8YE I looked this up a couple of years ago,suits the Denso.are our alternators Denso ?

drover 03-01-2020 06:31 AM

Ive had a look where the alternator is buried and really hope I don't have to go there. Might try my cam to see if I can see the label.

Mousie 03-01-2020 03:13 PM

For Diesel MY14, I just had a peek and you can take the regulator pack off as plenty of room. As to how to get hands on to the rear well I'll can get my hand close. Straight three hex bolts plus Batt+ and connector to remove and install. UK got back to me at 75 pound ex vat plus post and now realised they are so common that I will ring my Autoshop mate in Brissy to find the exact pack and cost price. The diodes are the standard 12-50amp press fit 20-24volt Avalanches. The diodes are over $10 dollars each so would just have the swap out regulator then as a backup again, replace the failed one or two in your own time and presto a backup emergency regulator pack for a few dollars that you are likely never to use. Presently I cannot ID the exact pack i.e INR435 or INR440 etc. as my label cannot be seen. I have the off road pack so cannot see from under vehicle. More to follow mid next week, the Avalanches in the petrol are the 40amp variety so thats perhaps the reason they fatigue before the diesels 50amp do hence we don't get the recall. The 50's tell me we should not get overworked up about this.

Hey thanks bjm, your code B01N55C8YE gives 104210-6001 which has the Batt+ pole facing to rear whilst I have our Batt+ pole facing 90 degrees (flat with the pack) or in the alternative holder on the picture for your code, but looking at the image, that Batt+ may be moved to the alt location and presto its the same. I have 104210-6590. I'll sort this next week.

drover 03-01-2020 05:47 PM

dazza335 has pulled out and replaced his and further research has shown that its not a mystery unit, like most the housing is slightly different but the guts are bog standard.....
Mouisie you keep finding stuff for me to get stuck into, your really getting me up to speed on my WK2 by making me dig into some research .... I need incentive as I hate doing it when at panic stations...........

TR Laredo 04-01-2020 06:05 AM

Found this site which cross references the diode/regulator pack to the Chrysler alternator part numbers

https://www.gauss.com.br/en/product/4341/ga1200/

Cheers

Mousie 04-01-2020 06:43 AM

Thankyou TR Laredo, that doc confirms it. If you look closely the Batt+ pole has two locations depending on vehicle so is just a change by spanner and job done. Thankyou for finding this and will price this one next week for interest of all and best of all confirmed INR 440. The claim to 220a vs 180a is more academic so not a lesser standard and it all depends on the ECU driving this, for 220a it just ups the drive for greater output. If you look at the very clear pic you can see the 12 diodes and how they just press in and join. So I suspect if recall on Petrols, they are just a brand change or up the diode spec yet the petrol ecu will continue to drive output as normal.

China by the way sell these to the world for $8-10US in order min lots of 200!

drover 04-01-2020 12:01 PM

This is from the Workshop Manual regarding the EVR, I found it interesting concerning the petrol compared to diesel.

REGULATOR, VOLTAGE > DESCRIPTION > DESCRIPTION
The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component. On gas engine vehicles it is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

For the Common Rail Diesel (CRD) 3.0L engine, the EVR is located internal to the generator and communicates with the PCM via LIN bus. The EVR is not serviced separately in either instance.

If replacement is necessary, the PCM (gas) or generator (CRD) must be replaced.

Glenn_Visca 05-01-2020 07:51 PM

Great thread!

Pretty sure my 2013 CRD just suffered this alternator failure. Thank god it happened Saturday while backing the van into the garage and not Friday when southbound on the Hume.

Reading some of the details in this thread, I offer up the following info:
1. Friday Jan 3rd .. driving from Corowa to Melbourne in near 40 degrees.
2. Towing 1.8T caravan (van has house battery connected to Jeep though Anderson plug / Redarc smart solenoid).
3. 12v fridge in back of Jeep.
4. Guessing that battery is factory original.

So theorising that age of battery along with all the additional loads caused alternator to fry.

Again, thank god I wasn’t doing 110 on the highway, because everything turned to custard very quickly. I reckon minutes from alternator light coming on to aircon going whacky to possessed windscreen wipers (why they decide to turn on beggars belief) to shutdown.

Replaced battery today figuring it was the most likely issue (before I found this thread).

Off to autoelec tomorrow to confirm suspicion ... and if confirmed, will report to ACCC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vikings37 29-01-2020 09:56 AM

Chalk up one more dead alternator in a diesel GC, in this case my 2013 Trailhawk which had just ticked past 100,000kms.

Our plan was to drive home to Qld from Canberra, possibly in one day. Immediately on driving away from our accommodation, the EVIC displayed a check air suspension message. A quick look found nothing wrong, so we continued only to have the same message appear and then go away a couple of times in the first few suburban kms. The battery light came on as we approached a major Canberra intersection, quickly followed by the ABS warning light and a cascade of others as we turned onto the Barton Hwy in peak period 80km/h traffic. The power assistance to the steering chose that moment to take a holiday, as did the engine with performance reduced significantly. A nearby side street provided an escape route into a servo, albeit with maximum effort required on the steering.

A NRMA patrol attended, checked the battery (only 12.0V) and then the input voltage from the alternator (0V), so he organised a tow to a nearby auto sparky (Gibbs Auto Electrics - highly recommended). As it was a Friday and they were already busy, it wasn't until later in the afternoon that the alternator was removed, confirmed as DOA, and a replacement ordered. Gibbs knew what to look for as they'd had another GC in the week before with an identical failure.

Of course, there were no replacements available anywhere in the ACT and, luckily, that meant a fix was off until the following Tuesday. Lucky? Yes, as that Monday was the date of the Great Canberra Hail Storm of 2020 and the GC was tucked up safely inside the auto electrician's workshop while every car outside got the full, golf-ball dimple treatment along with many smashed windows.

The final cost was just over $1K, including $650 for the alternator and three hours labour. I didn't get to see a label on the new part or the box it came in but it appears identical to the Denso item that failed. Either that or a very close copy. The battery, which was new in April 2019, is holding a charge but I've been warned to get it load tested soon.

Needless to say, I've sent a note detailing the above to FCAA Customer 'Care'. Based on the many other similar instances posted on this topic, I've also asked why they've not yet instigated a recall for the alternators in diesel models, especially in light of the same safety concerns that prompted the T36 recall for petrol models. Probably falling on deaf ears, but a note to the ACCC will follow shortly...

bjm 14-02-2020 01:11 PM

Mousie ,have you any further updates on the diode pack for the 220 amp alternator ?

Mousie 14-02-2020 09:08 PM

Sorry, overseas till 3/3 so will pick up a pack after this and post the best price I can get as a matter of course.

bjm 15-02-2020 03:29 AM

Over in NZ in the 2012 GC diesel,fingers ,feet crossed that the alternator doesnt decide to go when I am up in some of the old gold mining areas / trails.Actually asked a auto electrician guy in Christchurch who rebuilds alternators re our problems.He reckons there is some other underlying problem why they are failing.Also said no problem rebuilding these Denso 220amp units

drover 15-02-2020 07:46 AM

Is it me or do I see some sort of connection between relays blowing on circuit boards and alternators failing, boards and relays usually fail when too much juice gets shunted into them ........... just a thought mind.

bjm 15-02-2020 12:31 PM

Think there maybe a connection somewhere.Me thinks the TIPM problem maybe the root cause.Had a reply back from Jeep NZ distributor re new TIPM recall issued worldwide by FCA US. Nov 2019. Had no knowledge of it yet.Had to remind them to go on FCAs website for info.!

drover 15-02-2020 12:56 PM

I can happily report No Recalls in Aust or USA for my 2015 WK2....

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/J...UV/4WD#recalls

awj 27-05-2020 02:35 PM

Happened to me on the weekend...

Hi all, new to the forum and joined to add my two cents about this whole alternator recall palaver. I know this thread is a bit old but it gave me valuable information and I hope to simply add to that.

So after my Overland systematically shut down all its electronic systems while I was driving at 100km/h southbound on the Mitchell Freeway in Perth (with my 18-month-old twins in the back), I got towed back home by the RAC and they told me it was my alternator. Got it towed to my mechanic, who mentioned he remembered a recall for the Jeep Grand Cherokee alternators a couple years ago.

So he called Jeep Osborne Park and they told him my VIN wasn't on the recall list. Yet the service centre at Jeep confirmed to my mechanic that the alternator recalled was the same part that was in my diesel Overland. So he posed the question as to why my car wasn't part of the recall and they simply said "because it's a diesel," to which he asked "so if the faulty Takata airbags that were installed in Australian cars had to be replaced in all vehicles with them. How does a faulty alternator not get replaced in every vehicle it was installed in?" Jeep Osborne Park then said "Well, I don't know but we're not obligated to do anything on this car. Thanks and goodbye."

After that conversation was relayed to me, I filed a reported for a safety issue to do with these alternators to the ACCC, also citing the Jeep Osborne Park had opted to do nothing. I also included for their reference a VIN check report that showed the US recalls (NHTSA recalls) for the alternator on my vehicle (one in 2014, one in 2017). I see that a number of you have done the same and I also encourage anyone who has had the same issue to do the same. Hopefully we can get something out of this.

In the US, if you had replaced your alternator before the recall, they reimbursed the cost of repair. I'm hoping if we kick up enough of a fuss, we will all get something out of this. I have also kept the faulty alternator just in case I need to prove anything.

Would love to hear your thoughts and if any of you who made reports to the ACCC were subsequently contacted for additional information.

bjm 28-05-2020 05:47 AM

I would lay a complaint to FAC as well reminding them the same alternator is in the petrol as well.Also vehicle shutting down is a huge safety issue !I have just written to ACCC re GC 2011-13 fuel pump relay failure.Another new worldwide safety recall V62 issued Nov 2019 yet FAC still have no idea when a fix will be available.ACCC replied saying they will be investigating why this safety recall is not being acted on in Aust or NZ !

SouthernComfort 28-05-2020 09:33 AM

Hopefully something happens before the next millennium. FCA have had their heads in the sand for ages. They know of the issue, they know the day will have to come, but maybe they also hope all the affected models will be scrap by then.

awj 28-05-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjm (Post 1660799)
I would lay a complaint to FAC as well reminding them the same alternator is in the petrol as well.Also vehicle shutting down is a huge safety issue !I have just written to ACCC re GC 2011-13 fuel pump relay failure.Another new worldwide safety recall V62 issued Nov 2019 yet FAC still have no idea when a fix will be available.ACCC replied saying they will be investigating why this safety recall is not being acted on in Aust or NZ !

Oh yes, I will re: FCA. I was just so pissed off I went straight to ACCC, LOL.

Yes, it was pretty terrifying when it all shut down. And it went through the motions, shutting down blind spot assist, then ACC, then the console went off, followed by aircon, ABS, then brakes went spongy and then *boom* the engine lost power and I literally rolled on to a pavement by manhandling the power steering that obviously also went kaput. Could have ended up in a bad crash but thankfully didn't.

Yeah, I also noticed the V62 recall but I checked the NHTSA status on that and apparently they don't even have a fix for it yet ("a solution has not yet been determined").

RestingBronco 28-05-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awj (Post 1660785)
Hi all, new to the forum and joined to add my two cents about this whole alternator recall palaver. I know this thread is a bit old but it gave me valuable information and I hope to simply add to that.

So after my Overland systematically shut down all its electronic systems while I was driving at 100km/h southbound on the Mitchell Freeway in Perth (with my 18-month-old twins in the back), I got towed back home by the RAC and they told me it was my alternator. Got it towed to my mechanic, who mentioned he remembered a recall for the Jeep Grand Cherokee alternators a couple years ago.

So he called Jeep Osborne Park and they told him my VIN wasn't on the recall list. Yet the service centre at Jeep confirmed to my mechanic that the alternator recalled was the same part that was in my diesel Overland. So he posed the question as to why my car wasn't part of the recall and they simply said "because it's a diesel," to which he asked "so if the faulty Takata airbags that were installed in Australian cars had to be replaced in all vehicles with them. How does a faulty alternator not get replaced in every vehicle it was installed in?" Jeep Osborne Park then said "Well, I don't know but we're not obligated to do anything on this car. Thanks and goodbye."

After that conversation was relayed to me, I filed a reported for a safety issue to do with these alternators to the ACCC, also citing the Jeep Osborne Park had opted to do nothing. I also included for their reference a VIN check report that showed the US recalls (NHTSA recalls) for the alternator on my vehicle (one in 2014, one in 2017). I see that a number of you have done the same and I also encourage anyone who has had the same issue to do the same. Hopefully we can get something out of this.

In the US, if you had replaced your alternator before the recall, they reimbursed the cost of repair. I'm hoping if we kick up enough of a fuss, we will all get something out of this. I have also kept the faulty alternator just in case I need to prove anything.

Would love to hear your thoughts and if any of you who made reports to the ACCC were subsequently contacted for additional information.

Have you joined the JEEP Australia Facebook page, Have a read of the horror stories

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

drover 28-05-2020 05:19 PM

Facebook pages are a horror ................. don't mention youv'e had 3 or more that ran perfectly, the howls of derision.

Troutman 30-05-2020 01:28 PM

Are there any early warning signs of imminent alternator failure before all the lights come on and everything starts to shut down whilst driving?

SouthernComfort 30-05-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1660870)
Are there any early warning signs of imminent alternator failure before all the lights come on and everything starts to shut down whilst driving?

I replaced mine before it failed totally (didn't want the stress, especially when towing) BUT my door mirrors and wipers did suddenly start operating without my intervention. Such electrickery usually indicates the battery isn't coping, so I also took it as a sign the alternator wasn't doing its job. My conclusion might be wrong but it seemed logical to me.

drover 30-05-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

As far as I know 2015's aren't affected by this...YET....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1660871)
I replaced mine before it failed totally (didn't want the stress, especially when towing) BUT my door mirrors and wipers did suddenly start operating without my intervention. Such electrickery usually indicates the battery isn't coping, so I also took it as a sign the alternator wasn't doing its job. My conclusion might be wrong but it seemed logical to me.

On other vehicles Ive driven when the alternator chucked a spaz, things like fans and stuffed suddenly had a mind of their own so you might have got in early, reading what i could from various sources I just feel there's more to it than a dodgy alternator, I get the drift that a little black box is the cause of this and other relay, switch gear and pump failures possibly poor regulated power zapping things.....

SouthernComfort 30-05-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1660872)
On other vehicles Ive driven when the alternator chucked a spaz, things like fans and stuffed suddenly had a mind of their own so you might have got in early, reading what i could from various sources I just feel there's more to it than a dodgy alternator, I get the drift that a little black box is the cause of this and other relay, switch gear and pump failures possibly poor regulated power zapping things.....

There could be other gremlins that cause the spooky electrics, I agree, but all the weird stuff disappeared immediately the battery and alternator were replaced 3 years ago and they've never returned. Mostly, I just didn't want to risk the horror that awj and others have experienced, so I forked out the hard earned.

drover 30-05-2020 05:01 PM

Probably a very wise mood, certainly less hassle to walk in throw the $$ and have it sorted without all the agony of going thru the dealer/warranty BS........ I would have done the same for sure....... I have earmarked a supplier for mine already just in case, I'm a fix it NOW fella, have never had a fixation on warranty BS, fought GMH decades ago, was a battle trying to get them to see sense, they did in the end but i could have sorted it myself in a day not many weeks.... I proved my point then just ignored warranties and have had to dramas since (40 years now)

Troutman 30-05-2020 10:14 PM

Some good info there fellas, thanks!

SouthernComfort 31-05-2020 08:52 AM

I did email FCA at the time explaining what I'd done and why. The reply was basically "hold onto your receipt in case a recall is issued for the CRD". Not really holding out much hope, but if a recall pops up I'll be applying for a refund.

My replacement is a Jaylec unit from US Auto Parts, didn't want another OEM.

awj 02-06-2020 03:16 PM

Hi all, I got a phone call and some great news from my ACCC complaint - they are reimbursing me for the replacement of my alternator! :D
Dear A,

Thank you for your time today.

As discussed, we were sorry to learn of what occurred as a result of the vehicle's alternator failing as per the information you have provided.

As a gesture of goodwill, FCA would like to reimburse you the costs incurred in having the alternator replaced through the independent mechanic.

We kindly ask that you provide us with the repair invoice and your nominated banking details so that we can process the EFT payment.

In addition, if possible, we would ask if you can provide us with the original alternator so that we can investigate further. You are welcome to present the part to Osborne Park Jeep and we ask that you provide them with my details so that I can be contacted directly once the part is in their possession.

Lastly, I invite you to take photos of the vehicle's interior dash given the concerns you raised during our conversation, so that we can assess and take the appropriate action if required.

Kind regards
Ben Cross
Customer Resolutions

FCA Australia
437 Plummer Street
Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207
Australia
Quote:

Troutman, I didn't have any warning lights or messages on my dash before the drama with my alternator. The first message that popped up was something on the lines of "hydraulic system requires immediate service" followed by about 10 different warning messages before it died. All happened within minutes of that hydraulic service message appearing. Before then, I had never seen any of those warning messages before; some were especially concerning at the time because the messages indicated the safety features were failing.

Troutman 02-06-2020 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info mate. That is great news that FCA will look after you.

drover 02-06-2020 05:01 PM

Certainly best news Ive heard from FCA for a long time............might just jot down those details.

SouthernComfort 03-06-2020 09:58 AM

Good progress. All we need now is the recall...

Hoppy99 04-06-2020 08:21 PM

I just witnessed a commercial on Channel10 during masterchef (would have cost a bit), from Jeep.
The ad didn’t advertise a vehicle but just said that Jeep had a bad rap in the past for customer service and now things are different and they are responding.....

Wow, just wow!

russell w 04-06-2020 09:08 PM

Received an email from Jeep stating get 1 service from a jeep dealer per year and receive road side assistance no matter how old your jeep is and no matter if you get other services from non dealers. Also they are reducing prices for 17,000 parts and new fixed price servicing. You could also buy road side assistance for $154? per year includes towing ,accommodation and hire car.
regards Russell

Troutman 04-06-2020 09:29 PM

Very interesting....and good news for a change.

Hoppy99 05-06-2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell w (Post 1661146)
Received an email from Jeep stating get 1 service from a jeep dealer per year and receive road side assistance no matter how old your jeep is and no matter if you get other services from non dealers. Also they are reducing prices for 17,000 parts and new fixed price servicing. You could also buy road side assistance for $154? per year includes towing ,accommodation and hire car.
regards Russell

I also had an email in my junk folder..... haha

But, mine didn’t mention the new fixed price servicing for my vehicle, only new ones purchased after January 1 this year. I get the 5 year warranty and roadside assistance but only if I service with Jeep. The last service was half the price at a good local mechanic but I’ve lost that road side assist now.

Maybe they are targeting different people or areas with different deals? Was your email a personal one? Mine was just advertising really.