AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 2013 head unit update. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159477)

jk_renegade01 23-06-2021 02:01 PM

WK2 2013 head unit update.

Has anyone updated their head unit, I was wanting to do an in dash android tablet install as my OEM head unit doesn't work (bluetooth, voice control and the GPS doesn't work), I have spoken to the stealership and they want $1500 just to run diognostics on it :lol:

After some research, I have discovered that you can get Android head units, that fit, but haven't had any experience with them, so I am looking for recommendations if possible, (specifically for android based head units)

Thanks.

timsarg 23-06-2021 05:05 PM

my mate has a 2012 overland and he got the android tesla unit. fitted perfectly and all controls worked fine. he loves it

Surnturf 24-06-2021 11:44 AM

You have a link or some photos of it ?

jk_renegade01 25-06-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsarg (Post 1673661)
my mate has a 2012 overland and he got the android tesla unit. fitted perfectly and all controls worked fine. he loves it

You don't have any pics, or a model number etc, I'm wanting to do this mod asap.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Markus 25-06-2021 10:00 AM

Hi, just google Tesla unit for WK2 Jeep, plenty of options as to where you can buy it comes up to select from

jk_renegade01 25-06-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 1673701)
Hi, just google Tesla unit for WK2 Jeep, plenty of options as to where you can buy it comes up to select from

Ah, only available for the 14 up, i have a 13

john_char 27-06-2021 07:02 PM

Very keen to see this installed and working. I been looking for an upgrade for a year or 2 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hills46 28-06-2021 02:51 PM

What about accessing the various uptions under the settings app? If you replace the uConnect system can you still enable/disable the various driver aids, put the air suspension in wheel alignment mode etc?

jk_renegade01 28-06-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673797)
What about accessing the various uptions under the settings app? If you replace the uConnect system can you still enable/disable the various driver aids, put the air suspension in wheel alignment mode etc?

Yes, my uConnect is completely f#cked, hence the upgrade, nothing works except for the radio and auxiliary connection, everything you can do via uconnect, you can do manually..

I've found a system that could be a go, just checking some minor details, but it apparently has all the features that uconnect has built in, but its an android system, looks sweet, ill post a link shortly

hills46 28-06-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_renegade01 (Post 1673798)
Y everything you can do via uconnect, you can do manually..

That would require a lot of buttons! Without the existing settings "app", how would I enable/disable auto wipers or auto high beams for example?

Troutman 28-06-2021 06:13 PM

For those reasons, I would source a Uconnect head unit from a late model WK2 and use that. You would then have compatibility and Android/Apple CarPlay as well.

Grippy 28-06-2021 06:29 PM

Would this work? I can't find a Tesla style big boy to fit my 2012?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-Androi....m46890.l49286

jk_renegade01 28-06-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673800)
That would require a lot of buttons! Without the existing settings "app", how would I enable/disable auto wipers or auto high beams for example?

I enable/ disable the auto wipers via the wiper stick and enable/ disable auto high beams, via the lights switch?

jk_renegade01 28-06-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippy (Post 1673802)
Would this work? I can't find a Tesla style big boy to fit my 2012?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-Androi....m46890.l49286

The ebay ones are total shit based on the research i have fone, the one to get (apparently) is teyes cc3 (for the 11-13) not a tesla screen, but similar to the one you linked, but much better quality, you can get a 6g/ 128g model delivered for about $500 USD

I'm going to get one, will post a review

hills46 28-06-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_renegade01 (Post 1673806)
The ebay ones are total shit based on the research i have fone, the one to get (apparently) is teyes cc3 (for the 11-13) not a tesla screen, but similar to the one you linked, but much better quality, you can get a 6g/ 128g model delivered for about $500

I wouldn't be fooled by the .com.au website, still a Chinese unit same as most of the ones to be found on eBay. The website and reviews are in chinglish as well. Not that being a Chinese product means it's crap neccessarily. There are some good looking ones on Aliexpress as well.

I really like the "Tesla" style ones but you lose the cubby hole and USB ports at the bottom.

If you do go ahead with it I would love to hear how well the integration with the car systems is done.

jk_renegade01 29-06-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673807)
I wouldn't be fooled by the .com.au website, still a Chinese unit same as most of the ones to be found on eBay. The website and reviews are in chinglish as well. Not that being a Chinese product means it's crap neccessarily. There are some good looking ones on Aliexpress as well.

I really like the "Tesla" style ones but you lose the cubby hole and USB ports at the bottom.

If you do go ahead with it I would love to hear how well the integration with the car systems is done.

Oh I'm fully aware that its a Chinese built unit (Russian company), but i did quite a bit of research on this unit vs the unbranded ebay units and there is a big difference between them.. I just pulled the trigger on the 6gb RAM/ 128gb ROM version so I'll update once i fit it.. I might even make an install video..

Troutman 29-06-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_renegade01 (Post 1673805)
I enable/ disable the auto wipers via the wiper stick and enable/ disable auto high beams, via the lights switch?

There are a heap more settings and controls that you can only access via the head unit though.

hills46 30-06-2021 01:10 PM

Good video on upgrading to a late model head unit or, if you are going the after market route, a good tutorial on disassembly of the panel.

https://youtu.be/lk-bG-6itik

jk_renegade01 30-06-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1673816)
There are a heap more settings and controls that you can only access via the head unit though.

Such as?

jk_renegade01 30-06-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673852)
Good video on upgrading to a late model head unit or, if you are going the after market route, a good tutorial on disassembly of the panel.

https://youtu.be/lk-bG-6itik

Nice one [emoji106].. def going aftermarket, i want the QLED goodness and all the freedom that a pure android unit will offer, it will essentially be the same as having a tablet in the dash, but with full integration to the vehicle..

Oh, also has in dash OBD2 features [emoji7]

Troutman 30-06-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_renegade01 (Post 1673853)
Such as?

Read your manual mate, there's a heap of them such as;

door lock/unlock options
headlight off delay on engine off
horn and indicator flashing
equaliser settings
bluetooth pairing
etc etc

hills46 30-06-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1673855)

door lock/unlock options
equaliser settings
bluetooth pairing
etc etc

Yep.
If you've got Quadra lift - auto entry/exit, towing and wheel alignment modes.
Tilt mirrors in reverse.
Steering headlights
Driver aids such as auto braking.

There are a lot of them.

Anyhoo, maybe they've been covered off, who knows. Certainly the info available provides no clues. Glad we have a willing guinea pig! :)

Grippy 30-06-2021 06:03 PM

Me having a 2012 I can't see adding a Android unit as a loss, everything is pretty much available through the dash, apart from the bluetooth pairing etc which would I assume be handled by the replacement deck.

jk_renegade01 30-06-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1673855)

door lock/unlock options

equaliser settings

bluetooth pairing

etc etc

All things that can be done without an OEM head unit..

jk_renegade01 30-06-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673859)
Yep.

If you've got Quadra lift - auto entry/exit, towing and wheel alignment modes.

Tilt mirrors in reverse.

Steering headlights

Driver aids such as auto braking.

There are a lot of them.

Anyhoo, maybe they've been covered off, who knows. Certainly the info available provides no clues. Glad we have a willing guinea pig! :)

Again, all things that can be done without the original head unit..

jk_renegade01 30-06-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippy (Post 1673875)
Me having a 2012 I can't see adding a Android unit as a loss, everything is pretty much available through the dash, apart from the bluetooth pairing etc which would I assume be handled by the replacement deck.

The unit I have ordered has OBD2 integration and most (if not all) the features of the OEM head unit, plus SO much more, can't wait to get it installed

hills46 01-07-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_renegade01 (Post 1673878)
Again, all things that can be done without the original head unit..

Ok, I'm curious as I don;t know. How do I stop the headlights from turning without going through the settings app?

jk_renegade01 01-07-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hills46 (Post 1673885)
Ok, I'm curious as I don;t know. How do I stop the headlights from turning without going through the settings app?

What year do you have?

hills46 01-07-2021 01:00 PM

Gapcooper 01-07-2021 06:09 PM

Hi folks, has anyone any experience with the Vhedia head unit for Grand Cherokee? It looks great, price looks good, Android and Apple Car Play. I am thinking of ordering one.
Regards

Ed.. 01-07-2021 06:20 PM

Is it possible to get a head unit from a later model jeep that has all the features to fit and work in the MY14 Jeep?

hills46 01-07-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed.. (Post 1673907)
Is it possible to get a head unit from a later model jeep that has all the features to fit and work in the MY14 Jeep?

Short answer is yes but it's not as simple as getting one from the wreckers and installing it.

You can have one shipped preconfigured for your specific vehicle but it aint cheap! See

https://www.infotainment.com/products/uconnect-ujq-row-australia-middle-east-south-america-gps-navigation-radio-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto?variant=12058705887268

If, like me, you are just interested in getting Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay functionality and your current head unit is one with the the 8" screen then there are other options such as:

https://www.connectedcarsolutions.com.au/vehicle-compatibility-finder/jeep/

This is an addon that works through the existing screen and you swap back and forth between Android Auto/Carplay and uConnect by holding down an existing button on the back of the steering wheel. At near on $900 if you're willing to install it yourself, or $1000+ fitted it's still not exactly cheap though.

jk_renegade01 05-07-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed.. (Post 1673907)

Check out the Teyes CC3, from what I can tell, this retains the origional features of the vehicle, there are a few good reviewers on YT showing the use of the features. I have ordered one for mine (mines a 13 though), but I'll post a review/ video when I have it installed, (probably 4 weeks off)

jk_renegade01 21-07-2021 01:03 PM

Ok, this thing is awesome!!

Im going to replace my oem camera, as its shit quality and my new hi replace crispy screen deserves better, so that's on the way..

Install was easy, pull the old dash panel off and unscrew the air-conditioning controls etc, screw them onto the new fascia, do the same with the vents (don't over tighten anything and the new fascia as its not as sturdy as the oem one), connect the wiring harness at the back, position your gps thingy under the dash along with your 4g and 5g thingies and pop the new assembly in the dash, all up, took about 45 mins..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...59d5327a40.jpg

Ed.. 21-07-2021 01:24 PM

It does look nice, I originally wanted one for the mapping function, as mine desperately needs a map update, but then I found out that the replacement maps are already several years old when you go to order it. So hoping to get a unit that connects directly to google maps or to my android phone and I can get relatively newish updates and traffic conditions live. When you say you are going to replace the OEM camera, are you talking about the rear view camera?

semainwaring 21-07-2021 05:04 PM

Looking really good @jk_renegade01!

Did you go with the Teyes unit in the end?

kwjunkie 22-07-2021 06:44 AM

Nice one that looks awesome. I'm glad you took the plunge. I'm sick of running google maps off my phone I'm in. How much did it cost and what unit did you go? Can you still use you steering wheel controls and change your settings through your instrument display?

jk_renegade01 22-07-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed.. (Post 1674461)
It does look nice, I originally wanted one for the mapping function, as mine desperately needs a map update, but then I found out that the replacement maps are already several years old when you go to order it. So hoping to get a unit that connects directly to google maps or to my android phone and I can get relatively newish updates and traffic conditions live. When you say you are going to replace the OEM camera, are you talking about the rear view camera?

Yeah, my OEM head unit was knackered, maps don't work, Bluetooth doesn't work, so I thought, for less than a repair, I'll go custom, its absolutely brilliant, google maps works a treat, or there is a built in app that works perfectly also..

Yes, going to replace the rear camera, I need a connector to plug the OEM one in, but because the screen is such a high resolution, I figured I'd go a 1080p camera (its $35 shipped) from the same manufacturer.

jk_renegade01 22-07-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semainwaring (Post 1674467)
Looking really good @jk_renegade01!

Did you go with the Teyes unit in the end?

I did mate, got the CC3 top of the line unit, was $490 shipped and that includes the replacement fascia..

Its an amazing unit.

jk_renegade01 22-07-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwjunkie (Post 1674475)
Nice one that looks awesome. I'm glad you took the plunge. I'm sick of running google maps off my phone I'm in. How much did it cost and what unit did you go? Can you still use you steering wheel controls and change your settings through your instrument display?

It was $490 shipped, inclusive of the replacement fascia. I went for the top CC3 unit, its lightning quick, and is essentially an android tablet in your dash, has Bluetooth, wifi, 4g and 5g (takes 2 sims), sound quality is insane, mic quality (when on calls) is crystal clear, picture quality is fantastic (QLED screen), I cannot fault it, especially for the money.