AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Best Tire Selection Ideas For 2019 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154736)

damo4runner 15-01-2019 11:43 AM

Best Tire Selection Ideas For 2019

Hi guys,

We all know tire selections have been done to death, however, new year - new rubber.

I'm starting the search for new replacement rubber, I currently have Kumho Road Venture MT51. Great tire for what it is designed for, it is just really noisy on road at the 50% mark.

I have a Cooper AT3LT as a spare (untouched), I was considering these but notice Cooper now has an AT3XLT. I want a quieter on road tire with decent offload capability. I don't really need Mud Terrain, previous tires were Pirelli which were nice on road but didn't last the distance.

Happy to hear any suggestions.

Buffomarinus 15-01-2019 12:56 PM

I have had Hankook Dynapro AT/M's on mine for 70,000k's with at least another 30,000k's left in them. Bonus is that they're awesome on wet roads and very low road noise.

$215 ea https://www.tyroola.com.au/hankook-d...9784967a5.html

Cherokee30D 15-01-2019 01:06 PM

Depends on what you want them to do.

If mainly on road, I swear by Cooper SRX's. Just replaced mine with another set after 85,000 Klm's. Probably had another 10K in them.

Really quiet, grip extremely well in the wet......and last!

Cheers, Craig

damo4runner 15-01-2019 05:46 PM

General off-road but nothing hardcore. That part of my life is done now. I live in Tassie so the tracks can range from super easy to down right dangerous.

A beefie A/T would do is the noise is low.

I’ll check out the Dynapro’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08crd 15-01-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damo4runner (Post 1644785)
General off-road but nothing hardcore. That part of my life is done now. I live in Tassie so the tracks can range from super easy to down right dangerous.

A beefie A/T would do is the noise is low.

I’ll check out the Dynapro’s.

I swear by them, have been using them for over 10 years.
When I gave the Commander to the son, and bought the WK2 Overland, I bought a set of 18" rims, so I could fit the Dynapros.
The 20" rims and tyres are in the shed.:p
Hankook didn't do a 20" Dynapro tyre. lol
I thought about the Nitros, but have had such a great run on the Hankooks, easier to change the rims.lol

Taprod 16-01-2019 08:20 AM

I’ve been really happy with my K02s. They’re good in the wet and great off road. I’ve done 45k on them and they’re still at about 70%

timsarg 16-01-2019 09:42 AM

as others have said dynapro's and don't bother with going up a size for the LT .

i run 265/60 dynapro atm's . i got 100K out of my last set , great offroad and freaking quiet on the black stuff . also great grip in the wet . Honestly i would not have another brand of tyre .

Troutman 16-01-2019 10:11 AM

Hard to believe you'd get 100k out of any tyre without serious compromise in grip and road noise. I reckon 60-65k is about right for a very good tyre run at correct pressures.

eksjay 16-01-2019 10:58 AM

I would have kept the Commander to myself.... esp a 5.7L....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08crd (Post 1644797)
I swear by them, have been using them for over 10 years.
When I gave the Commander to the son, and bought the WK2 Overland, I bought a set of 18" rims, so I could fit the Dynapros.
The 20" rims and tyres are in the shed.:p
Hankook didn't do a 20" Dynapro tyre. lol
I thought about the Nitros, but have had such a great run on the Hankooks, easier to change the rims.lol

08crd 16-01-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1644812)
Hard to believe you'd get 100k out of any tyre without serious compromise in grip and road noise. I reckon 60-65k is about right for a very good tyre run at correct pressures.

It's hard to believe there is 1TB usb thumb drive, I would have thought 256GB, would be the maximum. I guess times move on.

Buffomarinus 16-01-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

I understand your scepticism, if you were a little closer I'd be more than happy to have you come for a drive in my GC with 70,000k's on the Dynapros. In all transparency I will declare that I have six wheels fitted with these tyres and rotate them through.

Cheers

08crd 16-01-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1644814)
I would have kept the Commander to myself.... esp a 5.7L....

Yes great car, it is the CRD and has just clicked over 200k, the son needed a 7 seater. So we bought the WK2. lol

08crd 16-01-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1644817)
I understand your scepticism, if you were a little closer I'd be more than happy to have you come for a drive in my GC with 70,000k's on the Dynapros. In all transparency I will declare that I have six wheels fitted with these tyres and rotate them through.

Cheers

I took a photo of the Dynapros, this is at approx 70,000
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ea98d1424d.jpg

SnakeDoctor 16-01-2019 01:13 PM

I run Cooper SRX H/T on my Grand now because it's rarely used for anything more off road than a beach or fire trail run, which Highway tyres are great for.

I generally found myself running out of wheel travel / clearance before I ran out of tyre so off road biased all terrains/mud terrains were a waste of time.

The Cooper SRX size is 265/65r18, only slightly bigger than stock but stock size looks too small if your is lifted (personal opinion).

SnakeDoctor 16-01-2019 01:14 PM

BFG KO2 is extremely popular for good reason if you need an All Terrain.

timsarg 16-01-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Not really . rotate tyres every 5000km , ******** on tyre pressures . I only have 4 tyres in the rotation as well . Personally doesn't bother me what you believe , i know what i got out of my tyres and other dynapro owners all say the same thing .

Make from that what you will but i know that unless hankook change the tyre compound i won't run anything toerh than these . I've had coopers , bridgestone on other cars and nothing has given me the amount of km's without comprimising safety like the hankooks have .

Granted in the ast 10000 grip was reduced and i did get tail happy in the wet but after 90K i could live with it

damo4runner 16-01-2019 03:17 PM

My local quoted me $290 each for the Dynapro’s, $350 for the Coopers AT3’s

They had the Dynapro’s there and they look nice, I will shop around. Online stores want the world to post to Tassie.

08crd 16-01-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damo4runner (Post 1644844)
My local quoted me $290 each for the Dynapro’s, $350 for the Coopers AT3’s

They had the Dynapro’s there and they look nice, I will shop around. Online stores want the world to post to Tassie.

That is a lot, the Dynapro RF10 265x60x18's I put on the WK2 were $230ea.

Troutman 16-01-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsarg (Post 1644824)
Not really . rotate tyres every 5000km , ******** on tyre pressures . I only have 4 tyres in the rotation as well . Personally doesn't bother me what you believe , i know what i got out of my tyres and other dynapro owners all say the same thing .

Yeah OK, good you are happy with the Dynapro mate. I wasn't meaning to offend you. I've worn out the odd tyre or two in my 58 years as well, and have some idea of the compromises involved in using a compound that would go that distance.

08crd 16-01-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1644858)
Yeah OK, good you are happy with the Dynapro mate. I wasn't meaning to offend you. I've worn out the odd tyre or two in my 58 years as well, and have some idea of the compromises involved in using a compound that would go that distance.

I'm a similar age to you Troutman, and I know where you are coming from, but I am really suprised how well the Hankooks do perform.

I guess it is like everything else, the only time things get improved, is when they can't sell what they are pumping out.
It is a bit like Holden and Ford, they were selling $hit motors for years, untill Japan started making a good product.
Then tarrifs dropped and they had to compete with Europeans as well.
All of a sudden the old 250 ford straight six, got more makeovers than a Hollywood hooker.
Have you noticed on MotoGP that they are getting lean angles of 60degrees, that is absolutely mental, tyre technology is moving on, people's rusted on beliefs are the hardest things to move. :)

Troutman 16-01-2019 06:51 PM

I understand what you're saying mate and I love my motorsport too. One thing that never goes hand in hand is traction and longevity. Hence why they have so many compounds to choose from in MotoGP or Supercars...as well as wet weather tyres. I'm not saying you can't get 100k out of a set of tyres, I am saying acceptable traction and braking will have long gone by then …..for me.

Vikings37 17-01-2019 09:57 AM

+1 on the Hankooks generally and for their low road noise and wet weather grip characteristics in particular. I changed them out at 70,000kms due, in part, to some uneven wear caused by an unnoticed wheel alignment issue (yes, my fault for not checking more frequently).

I then went with a set of (much more expensive) LT-rated Bridgestone D697 due to a wish for greater puncture protection for some outback touring. The 697s were as noisy new as the Hankooks at the end of life, but similar grip. Sadly, I can't report on their longevity as the GC was stolen when those tyres were only at 35,000kms, obviously with plenty of tread left.

My replacement GC, a 2013 Trailhawk, still has it's original, 6 year old, Canadian-made Goodyear Wranglers at 82,000kms but not much left on them so will be replaced soon (maybe Hankooks again?). The TH understeers more but that could be as much to do with having the added weight of a bull bar as the lack of tread on the tyres.

timsarg 17-01-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1644858)

all good, takes alot to offend me :)

i'm only going on my experience and what other's here are saying

the fact you have 60 years of changing tyres means that you should be more accepting of the fact that technology changes and 100K out of a set if looked after properly shouldn't be unrealistic . You've seen tyres go from wooden tyres all the way through to modern tyres :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1644869)
I understand what you're saying mate and I love my motorsport too. One thing that never goes hand in hand is traction and longevity. Hence why they have so many compounds to choose from in MotoGP or Supercars...as well as wet weather tyres. I'm not saying you can't get 100k out of a set of tyres, I am saying acceptable traction and braking will have long gone by then …..for me.

The only noticeable change in grip was last winter in WA . The tail did get a little happy and i had the odd slight lockup under heavy breaking but i managed to get through winter and once dry had no issues . If i was ******** i would prob have changed them at 80-90K but i wanted to see if i could get 100K out of them and i did . The week before i changed them i was doing muddy forest hillclimbs and still managed to do them .

Benn0 17-01-2019 03:15 PM

My STMaxx are just about done at 50k, but I'm pretty harsh on them.

I think I've settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3W for my next set. They look a bit like the BFGs.

GCDingo 18-01-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1644931)
My STMaxx are just about done at 50k, but I'm pretty harsh on them.

I think I've settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3W for my next set. They look a bit like the BFGs.

I have been running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on 2 of my amaroks at work for a while now. One has about 30k km on the tyres and my new one has about 15k km. They are wearing pretty well. The new amarok with 15k has done a lot of limestone and rock work and seems to be doing quite well. I do rotate every 10k quite religiously though.

Mate owns a tyre shop and has been pushing them with great feedback from his customers.

Benn0 18-01-2019 01:01 PM

Yeah, I like the look of the tread, and the new sidewall looks a lot better than the previous version. Should be a bit more road friendly than the STMaxx.

GCDingo 18-01-2019 02:53 PM

I would say they are on the slightly noisier side right from the get go but they are an aggressive A/T and I have a stereo and full turbo back exhaust. So who cares?

From my experience of running 35" simex centipedes with their massive sidebiters, sidewalls are very important in my opinion if doing a lot of offroading as they can be used against the sides of obstacles for great traction rather than trying to drive straight through the middle of the obstacle where ground clearance can be an issue.

croweater 21-05-2019 10:46 AM

20" rims limits your options a bit - anyone running the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61's ???

crdv6 30-05-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikings37 (Post 1644898)
+1

My replacement GC, a 2013 Trailhawk, still has it's original, 6 year old, Canadian-made Goodyear Wranglers at 82,000kms but not much left on them so will be replaced soon (maybe Hankooks again?). The TH understeers more but that could be as much to do with having the added weight of a bull bar as the lack of tread on the tyres.

Wow! 82K on those tyres. My '17 Laredo with adventure pack (similar setup to the TH) has only 45K and I'm looking at replacing the Goodyear Wranglers within 5-10K. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, I go pretty easy on tyres, but never done better than 60K.
Considering Nitto Grappler G2 because Bob Jane have 4 for price of 3 atm.
Had them on my WH; they seemed ok, but only had 20K on them when I sold the vehicle.

jeepsgofaster 30-05-2019 11:24 PM

Nothing wrong with nitto grapplers I about 60 percent on my set with 0 complaints and am surprised as to their traction for an all terrain even in mud. Don't get me wrong they'll quit before a mud tyre but easy to live with as an allrounder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

crdv6 31-05-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepsgofaster (Post 1649865)
Nothing wrong with nitto grapplers I about 60 percent on my set with 0 complaints and am surprised as to their traction for an all terrain even in mud. Don't get me wrong they'll quit before a mud tyre but easy to live with as an allrounder.

What do you expect to get out of them?

jeepsgofaster 31-05-2019 09:25 AM

Bit early for me to guesstimate just yet should be respectable i think

crdv6 09-06-2019 02:26 PM

I see Hankook Dynapro now in RF11 guise, is this an addition to their range, or a totally new tyre to replace the RF10?

Buffomarinus 09-06-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdv6 (Post 1650226)
I see Hankook Dynapro now in RF11 guise, is this an addition to their range, or a totally new tyre to replace the RF10?

A 60,000 MILE warranty is a vote of confidence https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300805877.html

timsarg 11-06-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdv6 (Post 1650226)

was at my tyre guy on the weekend and asked about the rf11 . Apparently they have tweaked the tread pattern slightly and claiming 5% increase in economy, life and noise reduction.

and at least 10% increase in price :p:p

the good news is stock of RF10's in australia is quite high so you should see some really good deals on rf10's atm

Surnturf 11-06-2019 06:43 PM

I installed Nitto Grapplers on my Overland Wk2.
Been to
1) Nullabor and back (adelaide)
2) Yorke Peninsula
3) Cape Otway
4) Metro Driving for 1.5 years
5) Just returned from 5 weeks road trip towing 2 ton camper trailer with 350kg on tongue Tanami Road, Gibb River Road,Cape Leveque ,Broome ,Derby Lake Argyle,Kununurra , Adelaide

Tanami and Cape leveque road was the toughest,wash outs,holes,rocks,gibbers and corrugations that you wouldn't believe.......
Tyres performed 100/100,no punctures splits or damages
Back on the bitumen and they are still quiet the day I purchased them.I will be buying again,very happy

crdv6 11-06-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surnturf (Post 1650290)
I installed Nitto Grapplers on my Overland Wk2.
Been to
1) Nullabor and back (adelaide)
2) Yorke Peninsula
3) Cape Otway
4) Metro Driving for 1.5 years
5) Just returned from 5 weeks road trip towing 2 ton camper trailer with 350kg on tongue Tanami Road, Gibb River Road,Cape Leveque ,Broome ,Derby Lake Argyle,Kununurra , Adelaide

Tanami and Cape leveque road was the toughest,wash outs,holes,rocks,gibbers and corrugations that you wouldn't believe.......
Tyres performed 100/100,no punctures splits or damages
Back on the bitumen and they are still quiet the day I purchased them.I will be buying again,very happy

Sounds good! These tyres are on 'special' this month at Bob Jane's (4 for 3) so I am seriously tempted. Had them on my WH but sold it with 20k on the tyres.
How many k's have you done?

Surnturf 12-06-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdv6 (Post 1650294)
Sounds good! These tyres are on 'special' this month at Bob Jane's (4 for 3) so I am seriously tempted. Had them on my WH but sold it with 20k on the tyres.
How many k's have you done?

I have done 15k with them before the Kimberly's trip, so now 25k

crdv6 15-06-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surnturf (Post 1650324)
I have done 15k with them before the Kimberly's trip, so now 25k

So, how are they wearing? Would you expect another 25k or more?

Surnturf 15-06-2019 01:09 PM

I would expect somewhere between 20-25k, I had a tongue wait of 350kg on my camper as well as the rear cargo and rear seats being fully packed with gear approx another 200kg for 10,000km over the Gibb and Tanami. The tyres didn't miss a beat,just lowered the pressures to 28psi on the gravel (rock ) roads...
This was the toughest I have ever experienced being fully loaded and they handled it well
Cape leveque road was the worst 170km of jarring corrugations with wash outs.
But I am going again as it is a great place to visit

Now that I have returned home,back on the bitumen they are as quiet as the day I bought them,but I rotate them (all 5) every 10,000Km