AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Modifications - Warranty (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82589)

redgp 11-12-2008 09:12 AM

Modifications - Warranty

deleted...

CrazyNuts 11-12-2008 09:19 AM

Hang on a mintue...WHAT THE HELL is going on here?

Where has the whole thread gone?

murray 11-12-2008 09:19 AM

sorry to hear that

davidd 11-12-2008 09:51 AM

steve and tom, re your problem geting your camper-trailer back. jeep assist does not help with trailer, just your vehicle. just rang the RAC here in perth. they have a basic membership which just covers the vehicle. they also have a "classic" membership which i have. it costs about 100 bucks a year from memory, without pulling out the renewal slip. it covers you for full recovery of both your vehicle and trailer or caravan. there are i think still some limitations on distance from closest town, but they will get you back. there is also a top cover that covers you for any vehicle you are driving or are a passenger in. try thir website. jeep assist just gives the basic cover. perhaps for travellers an rac membership for 100 bucks a year may be a good move.

davidd 11-12-2008 09:58 AM

just read the paragraph you mentioned. seems that fitting any mods of any kind void your warranty. would appear that my arb front bar, dual battery system and long range tank void my warranty too, for a number of things. this means anyone on this forum or off it who has mods fitted which are not daimler chrysler products has pretty much voided most of their warranty. just shows how much deep s**t chrysler is in when they start this stuff. but they are within their rights under the law. so quite simply it seems that if you want your warranty don't attach mods or accessories until warranty period is over. we have all been made well and truly aware of this now.

CrazyNuts 11-12-2008 10:03 AM

There go the jeep sales in that case. NO ONE will want to buy a 4WD where they can "legally" modify their vehicle but not unless they void their warranty.

Nissan/Toyota arent' that padentic. I can see the prospective jeep buyers going straight to Toyota/Nissan.

Nice one!!

carvesdodo 11-12-2008 10:14 AM

A sad and sorry situation redgp.

A factory fault ( once diagnosed correctly ) and poor customer service by a manufacturer ... all dodged by fine print ... but typical of most suppliers of most products today.

Its a shame that, all that prestige, history, and offroad capability earnt by a brand over the long term ... has been destroyed by another brand with rights to the first, in a very short time space.

Everybody should remember .... especially non jeep owners ... Jeep is only a logo today - not a vehicle manufacturer ... There are no " Jeep " faults any more and haven't been for a long time. ;)

Good luck in your new vehicle purchase ... The only reason I ended up in a chrysler jeep years ago is because toyota had the audacity to expect me to buy a new 4dr Prado, rather than them have the decency, to make their SWB models available in Aust. Not much choice out there if you have specific needs in a vehicle ... beside throwing a bale of hay on the back or taking the kids to school.

tdwrangler 11-12-2008 10:19 AM

I must say with all the problems I have seen recently on the forum, my faith in the Jeep's reliability is at an all-time low. Feel like I am just waiting for something to go wrong. And yeah, I have one or two mods (nothing major - just bar and driving lights) so depending on how they feel at the time, looks like they could say the warranty is void?!?!

I drove my cousin's new SS commodore on the weekend. Freakin awesome. Not a 4WD which is a shame but its mighty tempting to get one as they are going cheap!

Simsy85 11-12-2008 10:45 AM

Hrmm I know the feeling, I just had a claim on my clutch denyed after it wore out after 18,000KM and was deemed "normal wear and tear"

18,00km?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Bullsh!t if you ask me...

anyway mate, sad to see you go...

glend 11-12-2008 10:54 AM

Chrysler will be gone in a matter of months (they will never be able to repay the loan that the US Congress is about to give them to stay in business). Once they down the various servicing contracts will be offered out to other auto companies. I remember when Diahatsu went under, Toyota picked up all the ongoing spares and service business in Australia. That would not be so bad would it, going to Toyota for service and spares (Jeepota).

Brett_B 11-12-2008 11:05 AM

I think that when and if you have a problem gauge the treatment, experience, feedback on your own experience.

Each persons experience will be different depending on so many different factors from the fault, the mod its self to personality clashes etc etc

Each manufacture has this mod clause and play that card for what ever reason it might be..........

I sent my JK back for minor things yesterday, similar things that have happened to my Toyota's in that passed. My JK is modified, suspension, bar , lights, wiring, snorkel etc etc

They fixed everything without question and the service was outstanding............

I am so yawning over this topic..........

Sheeds 11-12-2008 11:06 AM

If Jeep went to Toyota I imagine there would be cruiser and hilux owners out there cursing us bigtime :p

But if we could get their parts availablity and aftermarket service then perhaps redgp would still want to keep his Jeep

I thought there was talk of Hyundai picking up Jeep though....

Stevil 11-12-2008 11:10 AM

I must say my Warranty experience has been good aswell, I just dont appreciate poor spare support. This has been magnified by the corporate restructuring and collapse of the US car manufacturing industry.

Steve

murray 11-12-2008 11:12 AM

NO NO NO .

OIIIO 11-12-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett_B (Post 921343)
I think that when and if you have a problem gauge the treatment, experience, feedback on your own experience.

Each persons experience will be different depending on so many different factors from the fault, the mod its self to personality clashes etc etc

Each manufacture has this mod clause and play that card for what ever reason it might be..........

Spot on!!!!

Brettski 11-12-2008 11:38 AM

Damn. That sucks.

B.

carvesdodo 11-12-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glend (Post 921337)
Chrysler will be gone in a matter of months (they will never be able to repay the loan that the US Congress is about to give them to stay in business). Once they down the various servicing contracts will be offered out to other auto companies. I remember when Diahatsu went under, Toyota picked up all the ongoing spares and service business in Australia. That would not be so bad would it, going to Toyota for service and spares (Jeepota).

Gotta agree Glen ... if handouts are provided ... its not likely that repayment will happen unless they are given a loooooong time to pay it back.

Despite the good models chrysler have had over the years, they have always been the "lesser" preferred vehicle ... especially in Australia. Cheapness in manufacturing has always been an issue.

To up sales figures when in a rut, they have in the past, relied on involvement with other "lesser" preferred but better brands to get by ... e.g. Mitsubishi in Aust in the 70s - end result ... chrysler australia folded ... Now its the Jeep brands turn and we will see what happens.

Toyota picks up Jeep ??? ... good way to get rid of the opposition ... same as what happened to Daihatsu ... Daihatsu didnt go under ... Toyota and their majority shareholding of Daihatsu ( aquired in the late 90's ) is the reason for the lack of Daihatsu in Australia ... rightly so that service and parts be provided by them ... and as for toyota genuine service costs ????? .... Using chrysler is a good preparation for that ... LOLOL ...

Jeeptheone 11-12-2008 01:06 PM

redgp,

I feel for you after dealing with Chrysler Jeep myself for near 12 months and nearly loosing the plot.

I was very close to getting a Patrol or D3 instead until a solution from the dealer came up.

I love my Jeep and all its quirks and can deal with the failures etc but the service and mindset from CJ is what kills the passion.

All the best in your next purchase and see ya on the trails.

JTO

JKohn 11-12-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redgp (Post 921302)
I have taken action to avoid threatened legal action.

On what grounds could they be threatining legal action??? Free speech is a right in Australia - even on internet forums.

If it is defamation they are threatining you with - you are not bad mouthing them, just giving your point of view of a product you have purchased, and your point of view on service (or lack of it) received. There is nothing in that previous thread that they would have a case against you with!

Should have told them to jam the phone up their arse with their pathetic legal threats - gutless wonders.

davidd 11-12-2008 01:31 PM

jto i totally agree. wrangler is obviously built to a price, you only have to look at the plastic etc. but with the faults and bits that go wrong, there really isn't a problem if there is spare parts backup. you can get the thing fixed and get on with your life. also the attitude of the dealers (in perth anyway) if you have a fault you get treated like a leper when trying to make a claim or there is a denial that there is a problem, or the classic "fault not present at time of testing". i had an xj cherokee and loved it, parts were everywhere, genuine and aftermarket and that led me to sign up for the jk. after i signed up for my jk i had a radiator leak (the vehicle was a95 and really due for replacement). as a result it blew a head gasket on a main freeway and i had to limp back home. took it to my local bloke who diagnosed the blown gasket. i rang the dealer to advise him what had happened to the vehicle and that it was being repaired. paid 1400 bucks to have my 6500 buck vehicle repaired at a repco workshop which carries a 12 month australia wide guarantee, and when done notified salesman and asked if he wanted the invoice with the vehicle at trade time. said he wasn't interested. that was the level of support i gave my dealer with my trade-in. in return i received a vehicle with fuel filling issues (not fixed), power drop (not fixed), vehicle thrashed at a dealership (as a special service for insisting it had a fault) and have been treated like a leper by chrysler and dealers for wanting the thing fixed to my satisfaction. i totaly agree JTO, you can love the vehicle all you like (and you never saw a happier more ecstatic, proud owner who bragged about the features and abilities of his vehicle than me). my misery has been caused not by a few faults in the vehicle, but by the total lack of support from chrysler and it's dealers (in perth where i live). but that's the way chrysler runs it's business. nothing you can do about it. as for you steve, i wish you and carol all the good things that life has to offer and a better run from your next vehicle. hope you drop into the forum once in a while to say g'day and let us know how you're going. cheers, dave

oldmacdonald 11-12-2008 01:35 PM

The worst part is you can bet whatever costs they've incurred asking for legal advice regarding this situation are way more than it would have cost them to fix the problem - probably even pay for a whole new Wrangler.

davidd 11-12-2008 02:33 PM

drafty as i said before, jeep assist is a basic service only , covering retrieval of the jeep only, not any trailers. the RAC and probably all other auto clubs offer a similar service as a basic. RAC and probably all auto clubs has a premium policy that covers the vehicle and any trailer and van pulled by it. rac is about 100 bucks a year, seems like a good idea to me.

davidd 11-12-2008 02:39 PM

the rationale behind the warranty cancellation of warranty for the hose would be that if you change the muffler and get a reduction in back pressure as a result, the free flowing exhaust gas may give a boost to the turbo. however an overboost situation would be corrected by the computer. but the fact that there was a chance of increasing turbo boost from a free flowing exhaust would be the reason for warranty cancellation. insane but legally allowable.

davidd 11-12-2008 02:43 PM

or quite simply, a muffler is a part of the air flow system. intake in aircleaner, through turbo, intercooler, through engine, out exhaust and through muffler, all part of the same airflow system. the muffler is a part of that sysem and modifying it voids warranty. you don't have to like it, but they have the right to void warranty over it. sucks.

Jeeptheone 11-12-2008 03:12 PM

I really wonder if any real Jeep and/or 4x4 enthusiasts actually work at Chrysler Jeep or are just a bunch of suited ********** who only drive them as a company supplied car???

I know that most of the dealers have owners, sales staff and mechanics who actually drive them out of there own pocket and attend events, this forum etc and love them to death.

If the workers and staff at CJ had the same passion as the people who buy them this sort of crap would not happen and it would be all dealt with internally with a happy customer and only good/great things to say about CJ and you manage the issue, not just hide behind a legal barrier.

I mean this is customer feedback at its purest and you lot at CJ need to listen up and take note. Are you trying to kill the Jeep brand in Australia or what?? You are certainly not customer focused at all.

Any closet CJ forum members care to respond???

JTO

davidd 11-12-2008 03:15 PM

it sucks, but there is abloke hanging on the end of a phone in an office, who is bound to follow the instructions he has been given, and he has given a response based on the policy cover given by jeep assist. this is actually a private company (not chrysler) which provides the roadside assistance to most vehicle manufacturers in australia and is subsidised by the manufacturers. so no mater which type of vehicle you owned you would get the same response. i actually rang them once to find out exactly what was on offer and the bloke i spoke to was a real nice bloke, an ex technician from a mazda dealership, with a wealth of knowledge and no axe to grind. was happy to talk about the company, what it does and vehicles in general for a few minutes, till he got another call. he would not be in a position to sanction the towing of the trailer, it would be outside his authority. i sympathise with steve on this one, but i guess it pays to find out just what your roadside assistance package actually offers, just like it's handy to know what your car insurance policy covers, before you go on a trip. like i said, join the rac and get full cover. but you will have to pay for it. if you pull a trailer jeep assist is useless to you.

davidd 11-12-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeptheone (Post 921434)
I really wonder if any real Jeep and/or 4x4 enthusiasts actually work at Chrysler Jeep or are just a bunch of suited ********** who only drive them as a company supplied car???

I know that most of the dealers have owners, sales staff and mechanics who actually drive them out of there own pocket and attend events, this forum etc and love them to death.

If the workers and staff at CJ had the same passion as the people who buy them this sort of crap would not happen and it would be all dealt with internally with a happy customer and only good/great things to say about CJ and you manage the issue, not just hide behind a legal barrier.

I mean this is customer feedback at its purest and you lot at CJ need to listen up and take note. Are you trying to kill the Jeep brand in Australia or what?? You are certainly not customer focused at all.

Any closet CJ forum members care to respond???

JTO

jto, from my experience it seems that in perth people at dealerships don't have to buy their own 4wd, they just wait till a customer books one in and then take it for a spin. but look, chrysler is going broke B-R-O-K-E. they will be looking for any excuse to save bucks at this point, i would think and the owner of cerberus would be looking to cut costs anywhere he can until he can unload the company onto some other poor sucker like DC did to cerberus. in the meantime the customers wear this crap we have now. i would hope that jeep is actually split from chrysler and sold off as a separate brand to another motor corporation.it would then inherit the business culture of that corporation, and perhaps even be sold through it's own dealerships, ridding us totally of the chrysler company and dealership structure and and culture. perhaps there would even be decent spare parts backup. i am currently putting tgether a spares kit. have one cooling system hose to hunt up.still. by the time i get it it will be 9 or 10 weeks to source that hose and then only with the assistance of chrysler customer service and spare parts managers. insane. and they wonder why i don't just leave it till a hose blows and then order one then. the bailout in the U.S. is a real problem for chrysler. i can see jeep being sold off and chrysler and stuff going goodbye. the unions run the auto industry over there, and chrysler have labour rates of about 75 bucks an hour against the industry average of 45 bucks. they will have to break the union control, cut staff and reduce labour rates. not easy. and if they can't show the government that they have a plan to get the company running at a profit, they won't be bailed out. the prognosis for chrysler at this stage is not good.

davidd 11-12-2008 03:45 PM

not sure how true it is, but i was led to believe they even have a system something like our old wharfie system where they have blokes on the books, who are being paid to do basically nothing, except be on call if and when needed. amazing if true!!!!!!

Fat Chili 11-12-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd (Post 921395)
jto i totally agree. wrangler is obviously built to a price, you only have to look at the plastic etc. but with the faults and bits that go wrong, there really isn't a problem if there is spare parts backup. you can get the thing fixed and get on with your life. also the attitude of the dealers (in perth anyway) if you have a fault you get treated like a leper when trying to make a claim or there is a denial that there is a problem, or the classic "fault not present at time of testing". i had an xj cherokee and loved it, parts were everywhere, genuine and aftermarket and that led me to sign up for the jk. after i signed up for my jk i had a radiator leak (the vehicle was a95 and really due for replacement). as a result it blew a head gasket on a main freeway and i had to limp back home. took it to my local bloke who diagnosed the blown gasket. i rang the dealer to advise him what had happened to the vehicle and that it was being repaired. paid 1400 bucks to have my 6500 buck vehicle repaired at a repco workshop which carries a 12 month australia wide guarantee, and when done notified salesman and asked if he wanted the invoice with the vehicle at trade time. said he wasn't interested. that was the level of support i gave my dealer with my trade-in. in return i received a vehicle with fuel filling issues (not fixed), power drop (not fixed), vehicle thrashed at a dealership (as a special service for insisting it had a fault) and have been treated like a leper by chrysler and dealers for wanting the thing fixed to my satisfaction. i totaly agree JTO, you can love the vehicle all you like (and you never saw a happier more ecstatic, proud owner who bragged about the features and abilities of his vehicle than me). my misery has been caused not by a few faults in the vehicle, but by the total lack of support from chrysler and it's dealers (in perth where i live). but that's the way chrysler runs it's business. nothing you can do about it. as for you steve, i wish you and carol all the good things that life has to offer and a better run from your next vehicle. hope you drop into the forum once in a while to say g'day and let us know how you're going. cheers, dave

Hey Davidd - can you please use paragraphs to make reading you posts easier ;-).

This post is not to ridicule you as I have an interest in what you are writing so the odd line break/hit enter would make the world of difference, my eyes are sore as it is.

Thanks.

FC.

Axeman 11-12-2008 06:34 PM

i the unions run the auto industry over there, and chrysler have labour rates of about 75 bucks an hour against the industry average of 45 bucks. they will have to break the union control, cut staff and reduce labour rates. not easy. .[/QUOTE]

Firstly ditto on DC :(

I think you'd be surprised they have already offered consessions, after all they need dues from members , ie no members, no fees , no Union. They have had a health care system where they even pay insurance when you retire, the car companies didn't equate our longer life expectancy with modern medicene and its costing them bigger than hourly rates (heaps of stuff made in Mexico where i doubt they get $US75/hour ;) ) and the Unions have put it on the table as well as other benefits to staff. I don't think you can lay blame on the blokes on the shopfloor getting the best deal they can when you look at the exec salaries when they have run profitable businesses into the ground ;)

one Press Report:

US union prepared to make concessions over auto crisis

The United Auto Workers says it is willing to make significant concessions to help rescue the Big Three US automakers. Union leaders voted in favour of ending a programme that allowed laid-off workers to collect up to 95 percent of their salaries. They also agreed to permit automakers to delay billions of dollars in payments to a union-administered trust set to take over health care for factory retirees in 2010. The vote came on the eve of congressional hearings on as much as 34 billion dollars in loans requested by the struggling carmakers General Motors, Chrysler and Ford.

JKohn 11-12-2008 06:50 PM

After thinking about this for a few hours this afternoon, once again I really cannot see how you could get a call threataning you with legal action!! Actually it has really pissed me off!!!!

Since you deleted your last thread it must have been because what was written in it. "AJOR is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation" is clearly stated at the bottom of every page - Chrysler doesn't own this site (as nor do I), so why are they butting in with their legal threats??

In your last thread you were only stating YOUR OPINION BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCES. Did they read the whole of your thread?? Are they reading this thread??

Don't let them scare you off redgp - I for one am very interested in YOUR OPINIONS based on YOUR EXPERIENCES!!

davidd 11-12-2008 07:56 PM

hi axeman, good to ear the unions have made some concessions. must have been only just made. info i got was from press clippings and stock broker reports of problems. info on wages was from same sources, so can't really comment on that in depth. the health insurance was also mentioned as an issue and it was said that payment of health insurance for retired workers would have to cease as one of the ways of cutting costs. (wish someone was paying my health insurance). mate totally agree that the fault isn't all with the worker. the unions have held the auto companies to ransom there for years, just as the wharfies held this country to ransom for years until brought under control. got totally out of control and all powerful. the management have also lined their pockets extremely well with the usual multi-million dollar salary packages. i noticed a condition of the government funding was that the managers should sell their corporate jets and travel in a more modest way. the top dog at GM has offered to work for one dollar a year till the mess is sorted out. huge problems everywhere, all being funded year after year by the U.S. taxpayers. whtever happens it will be a whole new ball game by the time this is all over. hopefully jeep will still be around, and we as owners will then be on the receiving end of the customer service and spare parts backup we are entitled to as owners of these vehicles.

jbee 11-12-2008 08:04 PM

Rotten luck redgp - but like Bret B and others my jeep dealer experience has been great.

Maybe a useful tool would be a thread just devoted to dealers that deserve positive feedback that way we could all see who does a good job without leaving anyone liable by slagging of the dealers that do not do such a good job.

Just a thought - but i do think that letting others know of good dealers is just as important and possibly more constructive than the reverse

davidd 11-12-2008 11:17 PM

jbee i think there is already a thread devoted to those who have a great jeep experience. it pops up whenever someone has a winge about jeeps and dealers etc, to try and counteract the flood of negative posts. hang about a while and it will pop up again after this lot.

Miraz 12-12-2008 04:45 AM

I had similar problems to redgp with a previous manufacturer, including threats of legal action about comments that I'd posted on forums whilst they refused to deal with basic faults.

After some consideration, a carefully worded statement was agreed by my lawyer and sign written onto the side of an old pantech that was then parked in front of the dealership, in full view of any new potential customers.

The truck was, somewhat predictably, then vandalised by some of the dealership's management to obscure the message on the side - during the subsequent criminal and civil actions that resulted the judge made a compensation award that covered the cost of the disputed repairs in addition to the legal and other costs incurred to that point.

I'm more than happy to recommend good dealers and workshops, even if it is only their attitude that is good.....but it is important to share bad experiences too, especially if the business does not resolve problems that stem from sub-standard work.

CrazyNuts 12-12-2008 01:04 PM

How can they do this? On what grounds can they threaten you?

micq 12-12-2008 02:22 PM

I would be keen to know the names & positions of whoever is making these threats .

Stevil 12-12-2008 02:51 PM

Bottom line they can write what ever they like in an owners manual re mods and warranty, but unless they can prove that your mods have had an adverse effect and placed extra wear and tear on a part that failed then they would have buckleys in court.

Myself, I would get 3 independent engineers report on the car in question and the part that failed. Then I would lodge a claim at court.

Steve

Chin up Redgp I'll get this hose sorted in Jan, your bound to have a good run then

CrazyNuts 12-12-2008 02:58 PM

Apparently NOT Stevil

Look at what's been happening.

Stevil 12-12-2008 03:15 PM

Mate if there is a history of this part failing (myself include) and the motor hasn't been tuned how could you draw any other conclusion.

if I was too install a sunroof and then the gearbox failed are you saying that I don't have a warranty case ?

Steve