AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Recall: Clockspring (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147218)

samft 16-01-2017 06:16 PM

Recall: Clockspring

Just had a letter in the mail saying Jeep want to recall and swap out clock-springs on 2007-2010 JK's

Safety recall campaign S33

Charly 16-01-2017 06:24 PM

Think it was for all JKs. I got mine done in December for my 2015 JKU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cherokee30D 16-01-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1601314)
Just had a letter in the mail saying Jeep want to recall and swap out clock-springs on 2007-2010 JK's

Safety recall campaign S33

Mine arrived in the mail today.

MightyMouse 16-01-2017 07:14 PM

Are you sure that's what it actually said ?

When the recall was initially released Jeep said they would TEST the clockspring and replace if it was faulty...... like you wouldn't have noticed the ever present chime and warning light. And of course a fat lot of good that does for the MANY that have already had to replace it at their own expense and will no doubt have to again when the thing fails again.

I hope your version is correct..... but it does seem very un Jeep to actually do a fullblown repair job if they can weasel out of it.

DONSIRI 16-01-2017 07:18 PM

I had mine replaced under the recall notice in November last year. 2015 JKU. I asked if it was just a test and they said no they will just replace it straight up

spoondog 16-01-2017 07:28 PM

I got mine done a couple of months ago when i went in to get a seal replaced under warranty, already had the letter but hadn't taken it in because i had heard they were just checking them and only replacing if necassary. So i quizzed them when it was mentioned and they said initially they were just checking them but now they are replacing the clockspring and the shroud around the steering column on all vehicles.

hpcoolahan 16-01-2017 07:40 PM

Are they contacting owners even if they are not the original purchaser, guessing would be using registration to find current owners...any ideas on this guys?

Blugeepunlimited 16-01-2017 07:42 PM

Clockspring

Got my letter also today in reference to 2007-2010 JKs. Letter says they'll replace the clock spring, steering wheel back cover and column shrouds. Hope they have plenty in stock.

NicJKU 16-01-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpcoolahan (Post 1601326)
Are they contacting owners even if they are not the original purchaser, guessing would be using registration to find current owners...any ideas on this guys?

They managed to get a letter to me and i bought the wrangler second hand at the end of november 2016 and never provided FCA with new owner details. (Even if the original owner updated them with my details they still must have got info from Qld transport as the letter was sent to our new addres (moved after purchasing vehicle)).

Cheers,
Nic

NTRubicon 16-01-2017 10:18 PM

Ive just received my reminder letter to let me know the recall I was sent in September hasn't yet been done. I checked with the dealer today - still no parts available (there wasn't in September either). I'm probably going through more bull dust in a month than many other Jeeps will in their lifetime, and no issues with the airbags in 3 years. Still, FCA seems to think its important - first time in a while I've received a reminder letter for anything.

samft 16-01-2017 10:48 PM

I'm a bit worried they'll break something else when they're doing it...
No issues with mine yet

RLT 17-01-2017 04:17 AM

Would be nice if they could do a recall and fit something more robust & permanent for the hand brake (at least for manuals) while they're feeling generous. :rolleyes:

r1chard 17-01-2017 05:00 AM

It amazes me they haven't had to do a recall for the hand brake (and that there have been no reports of injuries).

-R

Nanook 17-01-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTRubicon (Post 1601344)
Ive just received my reminder letter to let me know the recall I was sent in September hasn't yet been done. I checked with the dealer today - still no parts available (there wasn't in September either). I'm probably going through more bull dust in a month than many other Jeeps will in their lifetime, and no issues with the airbags in 3 years. Still, FCA seems to think its important - first time in a while I've received a reminder letter for anything.

I got a reminder as well.

I kept getting reminders so I spoke with the service department. I wanted to get the heated mirrors and the clockspring finalised. He said that the clockspring recall was tied into the airbag re-call and there is no parts for either.

If it wasn't for these recalls I'd never have anything to do with them.

Snort 17-01-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1601363)
I got a reminder as well.

I kept getting reminders so I spoke with the service department. I wanted to get the heated mirrors and the clockspring finalised. He said that the clockspring recall was tied into the airbag re-call and there is no parts for either.

If it wasn't for these recalls I'd never have anything to do with them.

Ditto

LeighP 17-01-2017 08:33 AM

Well, if they're actually going to do something other than "inspect' it , then I'll ring up and see if they've got parts...just got my reminder letter.

YamahaDOC 17-01-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r1chard (Post 1601350)
It amazes me they haven't had to do a recall for the hand brake (and that there have been no reports of injuries).

-R

Isn't it also called an emergency handbrake? should be recalled for sure but then again toyotas hand brakes don't work either

LeighP 17-01-2017 08:44 AM

They aren't technically an emergency brake......only vehicles with a single circuit brake system have to have a separate emergency brake system that has to be able to stop the car when moving at a nominated speed.
Dual circuit brake system equipped cars have a parking brake.

Freetripper 17-01-2017 08:47 AM

Got my letter today too! Over 6 month wait, now to see if the stealer's have parts available.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

PureCaboose 17-01-2017 09:41 AM

I got both letters in the mail this morning for both my Jeeps, despite being told on the phone in December that there was no recall (even though I was reading it from the ACCC web site to them).

Then I was told to take it to a dealer for a test and they would order the parts if it needed them. Sure, the dealer is only 1 hour or so away and it's in Nowra so I will more than likely either get the Jeep stolen or get stabbed :-)

So I rang the dealer, who told me that unless I got a letter that they would do nothing for me.....and now my air bag light is on in one Jeep and the horn goes crazy on hot days in the other Jeep.....

Guess I have some more phone calls to make, and more days to take off work....

Nanook 17-01-2017 10:18 AM

I'm still waiting for the heated mirrors to be fixed. FCA kept sending me reminders and at one stage sent me a reminder by registered post to make sure I recieved it.

It's not through lack of trying though, it's because my local dealer is a PITA and won't do it until the car comes in for a service. Since mine doesn't get driven through the week it's a long time between services and the next Jeep dealer is too far away to be practical.

SeaComms 17-01-2017 10:55 AM

That would be right. Had one replaced under warranty and two I paid for... I hassled them that they were recalled in the US but they wouldnt budge!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Das_Colonel 17-01-2017 01:47 PM

Received mine in the mail today.

Fortunately there's a dealership here in town, so will take it in this afternoon to see what their tune is.

The Beard 17-01-2017 04:00 PM

Received mine in the mail today. 2008 JKU, I'm the second owner of about 3 years now.

Worried about all the things that they could break if I take it in. It'd be a shame to ruin a good run of problem-free driving for the sake of a recall.

Steve F 17-01-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpcoolahan (Post 1601326)

I got my letter today and I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers
Steve

MightyMouse 17-01-2017 06:19 PM

Mine finally turned up.... and yes it definitely says the clock spring will be replaced ( and a few other bits ) so that's a positive improvement on the original notice that said tested :-)

Tempted to ring and find out how many years its going to take until they can do the job....... but not unitil I make up a big warning sign

DO NOT REFLASH OR FUCK ANYTHING ELSE UP !

Banshee 18-01-2017 05:32 AM

Wow. Must have been a new bulk mail out!

Mine arrived yesterday as well! :p 2nd owner & I brought it here from Queensland when I bought it.

Tyvokka 18-01-2017 05:41 AM

Mine was replaced last week. As usual they stuffed something else up.

This time the plastic steering wheel cover got damaged when they pried it open.

A year ago they put a dent on the tailgate during a scheduled service.

What phuckers! They give Jeep a bad name.

subsix 18-01-2017 08:23 AM

I'm going to delay taking mine into the dealership for as long as I can. I know from experience that they will break something else.

Das_Colonel 18-01-2017 12:38 PM

I took my letter and Jeep into the local dealership yesterday.

None of them had seen the S33 code before (which must mean I was the first in town to come in) and they logged the job to order in the relevant parts and will call me when ready to go. Haven't had any experience with this particular dealer, so will have to see what kind of a job they do.

Anyone know how much a JK clock spring is worth? I looked it up on ebay yesterday but couldn't seem to find anything.

mick666 18-01-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyMouse (Post 1601443)
Mine finally turned up.... and yes it definitely says the clock spring will be replaced ( and a few other bits ) so that's a positive improvement on the original notice that said tested :-)

Tempted to ring and find out how many years its going to take until they can do the job....... but not unitil I make up a big warning sign

DO NOT REFLASH OR FUCK ANYTHING ELSE UP !

Very good point.. If they have to reflash everything it becomes an issue for us diesel owners with aftermarket tunes...My clockspring got done by previous owner, might hang on to the letter and leave it be.

hpcoolahan 18-01-2017 04:46 PM

Mine also turned up today , have to ring and see if they even have the parts before i go in to the stealership.

samft 18-01-2017 05:28 PM

S33 is for the old interiors
I think he said S40 is for new interiors

all of them are being replaced

Osborne park jeep in WA have no parts yet, he said it'll be a few weeks

Also the recall is perpetual, there is no expiry/cutoff for getting it done

this is what i was told on the phone today

BlackBox 18-01-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1601570)
S33 is for the old interiors
I think he said S40 is for new interiors

all of them are being replaced

Osborne park jeep in WA have no parts yet, he said it'll be a few weeks

Also the recall is perpetual, there is no expiry/cutoff for getting it done

this is what i was told on the phone today

So, do you think its worth not getting it done until the Clock Spring stuffs up?

Snort 18-01-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBox (Post 1601576)
So, do you think its worth not getting it done until the Clock Spring stuffs up?

That is my way of thinking

mike_nofx 18-01-2017 07:59 PM

Just got my recall letter in the mail for my 07 JKU CRD.

My clockspring stopped working about 6 months ago and I replaced it with one from Jeepkonnection and have had no issues since.

I might hold out on getting the recall done as it seems pointless.

pete 56 18-01-2017 08:29 PM

Got my letter yesterday, '08 2door. In two minds what to do, got mine replaced by car dealer as light was on & chimes sounding when I bought it. Took 6 weeks as no part available but all good since then, although I have no proof that it was done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

humdingerslammer 19-01-2017 05:16 AM

Well... I bought my JKU in 2007. It has only taken 9.5 years for them to fix something (clock spring) they knew was crook.

Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.

Will also be interesting to see what the JL front suspension/end will look like and whether it will, also, be prone to DW.

The main reason I will not update to a newer JK is because of this, and because of the shitty service reputation that FCA/Jeep dealers have in this country. Outright arrogance, at all levels, I say!!

Banshee 19-01-2017 06:36 AM

From all I have read, there is a certain fix for DW, and it is not used in the JL.

I believe it is called something like "Independent Front Susension", whatever that is.

:p

MightyMouse 19-01-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humdingerslammer (Post 1601610)
Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.

I understand where you coming from but DW is a side effect of the basic suspension design. Its physics not manufacturing. Unfortunately the way Jeep apply the suspension concept makes it particularly prone to DW with worn ( i.e. real world components ) whilst other makes are MUCH more forgiving and less prone to issues and this is something Jeep need to significantly improve as you are saying.

All similar suspension layouts are potentially prone to the same side effect.... just that Jeep don't seem to have done the design work required to minimize its consequences in the real world.