AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tassie here I come (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108454)

anthonygubbin 18-08-2011 07:21 PM

Tassie here I come

Hi anyone know of some good spots in Tassie I can hit with the XJ? Nothing too radical I don't want to get stuck or breakdown.

Regards A

Tassie Jeeper 18-08-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1214589)
Hi anyone know of some good spots in Tassie I can hit with the XJ? Nothing too radical I don't want to get stuck or breakdown.

Regards A

pm tassiecj6 (BRIAN) he is my tasmanian 4x4 track guru as i dont really know any the bridport track is easy if u like sand work:rolleyes:

anthonygubbin 18-08-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1214671)
pm tassiecj6 (BRIAN) he is my tasmanian 4x4 track guru as i dont really know any the bridport track is easy if u like sand work:rolleyes:

Thanks Tassie Jeeper I will PM Brian in a few weeks. Sand tracks sound good I have a good set up for that, as long as I don't need lockers.

Regards A

tassiecj6 19-08-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1214589)

Regards A

what part of the state ?

anthonygubbin 19-08-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1214728)
what part of the state ?

Initially St Helens area.

regards A

tassiecj6 19-08-2011 11:22 AM

i,m in the north -launceston .
I don,t know a lot of tracks down that way ,Peron Dunes at St Helens is a good run .
I know several good track s in the north east of Tassie ,might be able to show you a couple !!

Tassie Jeeper 19-08-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1214788)
i,m in the north -launceston .
I don,t know a lot of tracks down that way ,Peron Dunes at St Helens is a good run .
I know several good track s in the north east of Tassie ,might be able to show you a couple !!

a friend of mine is organizing a trip soon said minimum of 35"s and lockers (be a good trip for the cj?)

he wants to do bellingham - bridport then jeep track and back through the scrub to town said itl be a dousy if ur interested ill keep u informed?:rolleyes:

tassiecj6 19-08-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1214908)
a friend of mine is organizing a trip soon said minimum of 35"s and lockers (be a good trip for the cj?)

he wants to do bellingham - bridport then jeep track and back through the scrub to town said itl be a dousy if ur interested ill keep u informed?:rolleyes:

which CJ ????,I got 4 ,!!!! lol
will keep watching this space .

TassieTJ 20-08-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1214916)

4 of them ? thought you got rid of the cj5 ?

I'm in the south A,

look us up when you come over

tassiecj6 20-08-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TassieFSJ (Post 1215030)
4 of them ? thought you got rid of the cj5 ?

I'm in the south A,

look us up when you come over

the knob from Lewie can,t make up his mind if he wants it or not ,:lol::lol::lol:

Tassie Jeeper 20-08-2011 05:15 PM

no worries will keep informed
;)

Tassie Jeeper 22-08-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1214916)

the v8:cool:

september 24th iv been told;)

tassiecj6 23-08-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1215673)
the v8:cool:

september 24th iv been told;)

which V8 , I have 2 :D:D:D:D

and they both go John !!!!

Hunno 23-08-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1215733)

Recon you could squeeze it a little tighter while stroking?

Tassie Jeeper 23-08-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1215733)

the one with the bigger rubber;)

diff locks would be nice:rolleyes:

tassiecj6 23-08-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunno (Post 1215743)
Recon you could squeeze it a little tighter while stroking?

your jealous aren,t you big fella :monkey::monkey::monkey:

Tassie Jeeper 24-08-2011 04:51 PM

i know brian (aka TassieCJ6) is keen any other tasmanians keen for some hard stuff?

im not organising the trip but am trying to recruit some more trucks.

i have been told we will be going over bridport/bellingham then to the jeep track (not sure if derby jeep track or pynganna) then i think blessington have been told it will be a difficult trip:cool:

TassieTJ 24-08-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1216137)
i know brian (aka TassieCJ6) is keen any other tasmanians keen for some hard stuff?

im not organising the trip but am trying to recruit some more trucks.

i have been told we will be going over bridport/bellingham then to the jeep track (not sure if derby jeep track or pynganna) then i think blessington have been told it will be a difficult trip:cool:

I can get a lend of a 10 yard tipper if that's any use to you Nath ? ;);););)

Tassie Jeeper 25-08-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TassieFSJ (Post 1216149)
I can get a lend of a 10 yard tipper if that's any use to you Nath ? ;);););)

only if its got diff locks ;)

u wanna come fsj havent seen ur rig i dont beleive.

u must have something in the shed thats suitable ur friends with brian that means u have at least ten cars lol

TassieTJ 25-08-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1216444)
only if its got diff locks ;)

u wanna come fsj havent seen ur rig i dont beleive.

u must have something in the shed thats suitable ur friends with brian that means u have at least ten cars lol

well you asked for some more trucks not jeep or 4x4's so I thought I'd be a smart a$$e

you seen it, even been on a trip I organsized ! I guess you've got a short memory ? or are you like brain ! (a little bit slow):p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

we may come up but the transfer has to be rebuilt in the wrangler,

Tassie Jeeper 25-08-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TassieFSJ (Post 1216451)
well you asked for some more trucks not jeep or 4x4's so I thought I'd be a smart a$

you seen it, even been on a trip I organsized ! I guess you've got a short memory ? or are you like brain ! (a little bit slow):p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

we may come up but the transfer has to be rebuilt in the wrangler,

probably didnt realise it was u lol brian would have introduced u as (insert name here) and probably left out the fact that u were the imfomous tassiefsj;)

Tassie Jeeper 05-09-2011 04:50 PM

trip cancled due to personal injury to trip leader:(

anthonygubbin 24-09-2011 10:32 PM

My trip was almost cancelled as well due to short of $. However it looks to still be going ahead. In terms of gear to take will I need two spares or can I get away with an ARB kit? I am thinking of space restrictions.

Another question how much is LPG per litre in Tas and will it be available pretty much every where, or will I be needing some petty as well? I am trying to work out a minimum budget in a worst case senario and still being able to go.

Regards A

Tassie Jeeper 25-09-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1223496)
My trip was almost cancelled as well due to short of $. However it looks to still be going ahead. In terms of gear to take will I need two spares or can I get away with an ARB kit? I am thinking of space restrictions.

Another question how much is LPG per litre in Tas and will it be available pretty much every where, or will I be needing some petty as well? I am trying to work out a minimum budget in a worst case senario and still being able to go.

Regards A

not sure about price but lpg is pretty accessible in tassie and u can drive in a straigh line from one end to the other in like 5 hours so if 1 servo doent have it ul make it to abother pluss ul have fuels to burn too;)

anthonygubbin 26-09-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1223684)
not sure about price but lpg is pretty accessible in tassie and u can drive in a straigh line from one end to the other in like 5 hours so if 1 servo doent have it ul make it to abother pluss ul have fuels to burn too;)

Cool I will be right then I can keep the fuel costs down.

In terms of mods for getting out I am not much better than stock. I have ATs, 2.5" rear and 40mm front. I have on board air so can air down with no probs. I can disconnect the sway bar with the air ratchet in about three minutes.
In terms of must haves is there anything? It is gonna be tight unless I get a s*** load of work and am wanting $ for the trip rather than the pre trip prep.

Regards A

Tassie Jeeper 27-09-2011 06:37 AM

the dunes up ere are pretty easy except the bridport side atm but will skip that.
2.5" lift will be plenty my fathers triton made it everywhere we went with careful wheel placement and right momentum :rolleyes:

tassiecj6 29-09-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1214677)
Thanks Tassie Jeeper I will PM Brian in a few weeks. Sand tracks sound good I have a good set up for that, as long as I don't need lockers.

Regards A

Dont bother ,Pal !!

anthonygubbin 29-09-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1224812)
Dont bother ,Pal !!

Hearing ya, TassieCJ6. When I get to Launi I keep cruising through and out to the east coast.

regards A

TassieTJ 01-10-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1224812)
Dont bother ,Pal !!

Pal is dog food !

tassiecj6 01-10-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TassieFSJ (Post 1225163)
Pal is dog food !

Ok

regards B ;)

anthonygubbin 19-10-2011 10:52 PM

I leave in around three weeks for my big trip. Jeep is not 100% ready but she will have to do, no spare coin unfortunatly. I am looking forward to the big day I get to see my daughter in St Helens who I have not seen for two years or a bit more. Her mother knows so I am planning a big surprise.
Thinking a trip to the Henti junes might be a goer, hire a quad and cruise around the tops and down some slopes.

regards A

r1chard 21-10-2011 10:55 AM

Myself and some mates are heading to Tassie for summer hols. Pity we have to go in peak season... anyway I just found this thread, thought I'd ask a few additional questions from those with local knowledge :)

What's the go with bush camping with dogs in Tasmania? Lots of camp sites are dog friendly, as far as I can see we'll be cool for most places except National Parks and some of but I'm reckoning we'll be bush camping a fair bit too if we can.

It's a lot cheaper to bring the dogs on the boat than to kennel them in Sydney for 2 weeks plus they are nice to have around.

Chris Boden's book, 4WD Tracks in Tasmania, makes a big point for every west coast beach drive as being 'hard' and lot of warning about 'quicksand', being in a group (will be).

I've done a fair bit of beach and sand driving, as have my mates.... From Stockton Beach to Fraser Island, and a dune or three in the Simpson Desert.... but then there really are different sorts of sand... So is this 'quicksand' a particular feature of the West Coast, or just the book author trying to warn off unskilled drivers?

Cheers
Richard

Tassie Jeeper 21-10-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r1chard (Post 1230434)
Myself and some mates are heading to Tassie for summer hols. Pity we have to go in peak season... anyway I just found this thread, thought I'd ask a few additional questions from those with local knowledge :)

What's the go with bush camping with dogs in Tasmania? Lots of camp sites are dog friendly, as far as I can see we'll be cool for most places except National Parks and some of but I'm reckoning we'll be bush camping a fair bit too if we can.

It's a lot cheaper to bring the dogs on the boat than to kennel them in Sydney for 2 weeks plus they are nice to have around.

Chris Boden's book, 4WD Tracks in Tasmania, makes a big point for every west coast beach drive as being 'hard' and lot of warning about 'quicksand', being in a group (will be).

I've done a fair bit of beach and sand driving, as have my mates.... From Stockton Beach to Fraser Island, and a dune or three in the Simpson Desert.... but then there really are different sorts of sand... So is this 'quicksand' a particular feature of the West Coast, or just the book author trying to warn off unskilled drivers?

Cheers
Richard

a bit of both there mate up bridport/ bellingham (north tasmania) most of the and is soft but fine to drive on iv even taken a trailer but u can hit soft patches on the beach that if traveling in high range at 100kn have tanken me from 5th to 3rd or even 2nd and giving it the berries and will pull u up from 100km to about 40- 60 in about 2-3 car lengths.

id call bridport an easy beach / dune to drive but local knolage goes a long way as there is quick sand in places and if u plan on transversing the pipers river u need to get the tides (and waves) just right as ALOT of vehicles have been lost there:blah:

Tassie Jeeper 21-10-2011 05:19 PM

dont no if ill be able to take u out anthony as i am currently unemployed and need all the dollars i can muster;)

anthonygubbin 21-10-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassie Jeeper (Post 1230523)
dont no if ill be able to take u out anthony as i am currently unemployed and need all the dollars i can muster;)

Bummer about having no work that sux.

Looks like I might be walking the beach before I get to carried away, then.

I have been pretty lucky today a utility company told me I was $900 ahead in my electricty and have said they are sending me a cheque in the next few weeks, hopefully before I leave. So with a bit of luck I can fix a couple of minor probs on the XJ and maybe get a few extra goodies to make it a bit more off-roadable.

Hi Wooders now what do you have to improve my XJ......?

regards Anthony

Tassie Jeeper 23-10-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1230549)
Bummer about having no work that sux.

Looks like I might be walking the beach before I get to carried away, then.

I have been pretty lucky today a utility company told me I was $900 ahead in my electricty and have said they are sending me a cheque in the next few weeks, hopefully before I leave. So with a bit of luck I can fix a couple of minor probs on the XJ and maybe get a few extra goodies to make it a bit more off-roadable.

Hi Wooders now what do you have to improve my XJ......?

regards Anthony

there is only one spot i know of that has quicksand as long as u keep clear of it ud be fine (assuming u get ur tides right) problem is i cant show u where it is less i have enough cash to go

anthonygubbin 28-10-2011 08:35 PM

Thanks Tas, if things change let me know and we can go for a blast out there.

Regards Anthony

anthonygubbin 07-11-2011 04:41 PM

Finally I am about to hit the road. Just got to top up the gas get some ice coffees, and throw in the dog.
I am heading off in about 40mins. I have my UHF and just have one quick question what is the best channel to leave it on incase I get stuck. Keep in mind that I have the old 40ch so the channel may vary from an 80ch.

regards A

rodxj 07-11-2011 05:22 PM

Channel 40 is the highway channel A

anthonygubbin 19-11-2011 12:28 PM

Thanks Rod yerr have been using 40 a bit and it has really helped.

As for Tassie my days here are nearly over. I have had an awesome time. I have spent a large amount of my time seeing my 14yr old daughter, whom I rarely see. I has been so good getting to know her a little better. Now I feel like a real dad and will have to make the trip at least once a year.
As for touring I went to Freycinet down the 4WD only track and had a blast I can post some pics when I get home if anyone wants to see, keep in mind that the track was a little rougher than the pics show. I went duning at Perin Dunes St Helens and had a blast with Serani (daughter), but like I said in another thread squishing the trans cooler lines was a little unexepected. On the good side I was carrying tools and was thinking most of the trip they were wasting space. Last night Serani and I spent the night in Hobart after doing the ghost tour at Pt Arthur, man is that something I tell ya it felt like some freaky shit was going on in the old "revern's house". Stories of ghosts, which sounds like make believe but to me there sure felt eaky in that one building, it was cold and clammy where almost every other building including the disection room felt ok, who knows, hey I only have the guides word to go on. But he was saying that employees have quit ther jobs after their first night on locking up the jail buildings.
Mon I leave St Helens and head back to Devonport. I am kind thinking now I can not do too much more so might as well head back. I may even try and get an earlier ferry as I am kind thinking the house at home will be looking a little shabby and the lawns will need water.

regards A