AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   ZJ wheels on an XJ (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116216)

BillyOneMate 02-06-2012 05:23 PM

ZJ wheels on an XJ

Does anyone know if some wheels form a 98 ZJ will fit on a 99 XJ, they are both 15" but is the backspacing and bolt pattern the same?

junglejuice 02-06-2012 05:59 PM

Zg, Xj & Tj rims are all the same offset and stud pattern...

jeepxj98 02-06-2012 06:04 PM

Yep fit great

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xezqrx

junglejuice 02-06-2012 06:34 PM

I tried it on mine, a set of 16" Zg Ltd rims but the gold with red just didn't work IMHO...

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...13a_resize.jpg

Fitted no dramas though....

JJ

Eli 02-06-2012 07:16 PM

No it doesn't quite look right, but functional. I have those gold/silver wheels and they look very smart with my forest green body and cladding and gold ensignias

Mitch 03-06-2012 07:04 AM

Ford pre AU alloys fit and are a different offset which gives you an xtra inch of width,they,re cheap too.

ace 03-06-2012 09:37 AM

Ooooh, do those ford rims come in 15" too? Do they need modification for the centre part? I'm sure I read that this needs to be bored out to fit over the XJ hub centre...

junglejuice 03-06-2012 09:54 AM

The pre-Au Ford alloys need to be bored to fit an Xj and they are also illegal to use unless they are load rated...

I also tried this....

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...269_resize.jpg

The offset was different which means they sit 1" further out, it made the stock 225's "look chunkier"....

Hamsteh 03-06-2012 12:43 PM

What are they off JJ? I'm after a wider trackwidth in 15" if possible, will probably end up with a set of Procomp Series 97's though I reckon...

Mitch 03-06-2012 02:40 PM

You can bore em out or just use a Dremmel tool to do it,like others have and i will.

junglejuice 03-06-2012 03:21 PM

I used a die grinder when I did those ones, they are EB XR8 rims, 15x7 but not load rated.....

Mitch 04-06-2012 08:22 PM

I used a rotary burr,but it must be for alloy as a finer one will clog too often.

BillyOneMate 08-06-2012 05:35 AM

hmmm this thread has got me thinking, maybe i will go with 16" rims instead (greater choice of tires),

If i get some 16" rims from a 96 ZJ for my 99 XJ, what tire size can i go with - will 205/80 R16 fit on the ZJ rims - with no rubbing or backspacing mods required?

junglejuice 08-06-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyOneMate (Post 1291712)
hmmm this thread has got me thinking, maybe i will go with 16" rims instead (greater choice of tires),

If i get some 16" rims from a 96 ZJ for my 99 XJ, what tire size can i go with - will 205/80 R16 fit on the ZJ rims - with no rubbing or backspacing mods required?

Can anybody say cheese cutters?

Why not go for something like a 235/70/16 which is about the same diameter also with no issues as these are only a 30" tyre...

Antiferret 08-06-2012 12:14 PM

jj, you mean pizza cutters right?

cutting the cheese is something completely different..!

rainman 08-06-2012 02:30 PM

ford explorer rims fit well on a xj, just need a bit of a massage with a die grinder 16x7"

sfedek 08-06-2012 03:53 PM

Ford Territory rims are A ok

1 Attachment(s)
I have Ford Territory rims on mine & love it for now.

Eddy

Steve F 08-06-2012 04:11 PM

What are the offset of the territory rims? I'm guessing you can get them in a 17" as well as I'd love a 17" on mine with the 35's so I can run a 330mm front brake disk and FPV calipers.

Cheers
Steve

sfedek 08-06-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve F (Post 1291794)
What are the offset of the territory rims? I'm guessing you can get them in a 17" as well as I'd love a 17" on mine with the 35's so I can run a 330mm front brake disk and FPV calipers.

Cheers
Steve

Not sure on the offset Steve. Yes they are 17" You might remember my XJ from the weekend at Rydal. I know that they fit nicely.
If you know the previous owner of my XJ, he will know.
He was dxj. I can measure them for you, just tell me how.
Eddy

Steve F 08-06-2012 06:15 PM

I'm after 17x8 a quick look at stock Territory rims seems they only go to 17x7.5 so may be no good anyway :(

For details they should have it stamped on the back of the rim somewhere :)

Cheers
Steve

junglejuice 08-06-2012 06:46 PM

I am pretty sure they are the same offset as AU onwards Falcons which is roughly the same as a stock Xj....

darksidecustoms 08-06-2012 10:30 PM

They look nice eddy - what size tyres?

BillyOneMate 09-06-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglejuice (Post 1291744)
Can anybody say cheese cutters?

Why not go for something like a 235/70/16 which is about the same diameter also with no issues as these are only a 30" tyre...

mud cutters is the way i like to think of em... we get plenty of that here in the UK!

sfedek 09-06-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksidecustoms (Post 1291910)
They look nice eddy - what size tyres?

I have two sets; 1 x set of road tyres that are great off road tyres as well are the coopers A/TR's 265/65/17 & 1 x set of muddies. BFG's 245/70/17 Just for the muddy days.
p.s. the muddies are tonnes heavier & noisier than the Coopers!

Eddy

junglejuice 09-06-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfedek (Post 1291942)
I have two sets; 1 x set of road tyres that are great off road tyres as well are the coopers A/TR's 265/65/17 & 1 x set of muddies. BFG's 245/70/17 Just for the muddy days.

Eddy

I run a set of Cooper AT/R's and they are quite light....

BLU-125 09-06-2012 07:57 PM

When running Explorer alloys, be carefull that you have suitable nut penetration. You may need to fit Ford studs to get enough length.

BTW, Ford wheels which are hand modified with a die grinder may be difficult to balance if your tyre dealer doesn't have the right equipment.

Antiferret 13-06-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLU-125 (Post 1292059)
When running Explorer alloys, be carefull that you have suitable nut penetration. You may need to fit Ford studs to get enough length.

BTW, Ford wheels which are hand modified with a die grinder may be difficult to balance if your tyre dealer doesn't have the right equipment.

almost all do, just specify that the centre is out of round, they will balance from "studs" only (not centre hole balance).

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfedek (Post 1291942)

Eddy

I have found a set of 4 alloy factory Ford Territory wheels and tyres locally, I like the setup you have with the steel rims, but alloys should work the same? No probs getting the dremel tool out to make them fit center wise.

junglejuice 14-06-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee (Post 1580840)
I have found a set of 4 alloy factory Ford Territory wheels and tyres locally, I like the setup you have with the steel rims, but alloys should work the same? No probs getting the dremel tool out to make them fit center wise.

Unless you're going to run spacers you may (will) find that you get more rubbing on the insides, the Territory rims have 4.5mm more BS meaning your tyres are 4.5mm closer to the control arms and wheel wells, even with 30x9.50-15s (exact same width as stock just taller) I get rubbing on the spring seats, inside the rear wheel wells, front bash plate, lower control arms etc, this only applies if you flex, the more lift (assuming equal flex) the more rubbing AND that's before you fit larger tyres....

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglejuice (Post 1580845)
Unless you're going to run spacers you may (will) find that you get more rubbing on the insides, the Territory rims have 4.5mm more BS meaning your tyres are 4.5mm closer to the control arms and wheel wells, even with 30x9.50-15s (exact same width as stock just taller) I get rubbing on the spring seats, inside the rear wheel wells, front bash plate, lower control arms etc, this only applies if you flex, the more lift (assuming equal flex) the more rubbing AND that's before you fit larger tyres....

I currently run 15x7 factory steel wheels with 31 muddies and about 3.5'' to 4'' lift, no rubbing with them on/off road, but do hit when steering is fully locked. But seeing I do most of my driving on road and wanting a taller tyre than 31 it looks like a good option, I was thinking about fitting a 6mm wheel spacer to stop the hitting of the front tyres when fully locked. There is not all that much other options when it comes to 16'' or 17'' rims (please do share if there is).

Cheers

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee (Post 1580847)
I currently run 15x7 factory steel wheels with 31 muddies and about 3.5'' to 4'' lift, no rubbing with them on/off road, but do hit when steering is fully locked. But seeing I do most of my driving on road and wanting a taller tyre than 31 it looks like a good option, I was thinking about fitting a 6mm wheel spacer to stop the hitting of the front tyres when fully locked. There is not all that much other options when it comes to 16'' or 17'' rims (please do share if there is).

Cheers

I was looking at running 265x70x17 AT tyres, somewhat taller than a 31 mud tyre, but less noise and will last longer.

junglejuice 14-06-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee (Post 1580849)
I was looking at running 265x70x17 AT tyres, somewhat taller than a 31 mud tyre, but less noise and will last longer.

And rub somewhat more unless you bumpstop more to limit the flex...

Your turning circle will also increase noticably too...

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglejuice (Post 1580853)
And rub somewhat more unless you bumpstop more to limit the flex...

Your turning circle will also increase noticably too...

All can be addressed, but finding rims bigger than 15'' in diameter is more of a problem, hence when I read using Ford Territory rims and modding the center hole I just had to ask the questions on here. Wheels spacers might have to be used and probably would burn out the Bunnings dremel tool, but more than willing to put up with all that in the search for a taller rim, I like the steel Territory rims, but living far East Gippsland the cost of sourcing rims becomes tricky budget wise, but found a set of alloy Territory wheels locally. I drove into town and asked the local tyre joint, and the bloke nearly had a heart attack when I asked him about fitting 16'' or 17'' rims to the Cherokee. So did a search on here to see what others had done.

rustynuts 14-06-2016 07:12 PM

I have been looking into this option for a while. Been searching for a 16 inch rim with a little less backspace. I have come to the conclusion to maybe re-barrel some steel rims or to import some TJ Rubicon "Moab" style wheels. They can be had in 15 or 16 inch.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...fca5dda6aa.jpg

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustynuts (Post 1580878)
I have been looking into this option for a while. Been searching for a 16 inch rim with a little less backspace. I have come to the conclusion to maybe re-barrel some steel rims or to import some TJ Rubicon "Moab" style wheels. They can be had in 15 or 16 inch.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...fca5dda6aa.jpg

I can always have a set of steel sunraysia made up, as I am sure there must be mobs in Australia doing them to peoples offset/backspacing, although by the time I get them shipped to where I am the cost could be a bit on the high side. I have emailed the person that has a set of Territory rims up for sale in town, and if they are still up for sale I will go and have a look and measure them, I have never used wheel spacers but could always use them to give some more clearance. And the center hole being smaller should be no problem as that's not that hard to open up. If I had money to burn I would just order some rims made up, but damn the rims will be more than what I paid for my XJ LOL.

alexbrown64 14-06-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee (Post 1580881)
I can always have a set of steel sunraysia made up, as I am sure there must be mobs in Australia doing them to peoples offset/backspacing, although by the time I get them shipped to where I am the cost could be a bit on the high side. I have emailed the person that has a set of Territory rims up for sale in town, and if they are still up for sale I will go and have a look and measure them, I have never used wheel spacers but could always use them to give some more clearance. And the center hole being smaller should be no problem as that's not that hard to open up. If I had money to burn I would just order some rims made up, but damn the rims will be more than what I paid for my XJ LOL.

Not trying to ruin your plans as you have some great idea's there, and i am also on the lookout for some rims.. but Bolt-on wheel spacers are not roadworthy in Australia and are illegal for road use. http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/4x4-illegal/ If you do use them, you may need longer studs. Those Moab wheels look great. Ive been looking at these Fuel Anza rims... 17" with a 4.5" backspacing, but very pricey.. http://www.jegs.com/i/MHT/608/D55817...ductId=3448050

East-Gippsland-XJCherokee 14-06-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbrown64 (Post 1580912)
Not trying to ruin your plans as you have some great idea's there, and i am also on the lookout for some rims.. but Bolt-on wheel spacers are not roadworthy in Australia and are illegal for road use. http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/4x4-illegal/ If you do use them, you may need longer studs. Those Moab wheels look great. Ive been looking at these Fuel Anza rims... 17" with a 4.5" backspacing, but very pricey.. http://www.jegs.com/i/MHT/608/D55817...ductId=3448050

Its only illegal when they catch you LOL, but I think the Territory rims 17x7.5 are just about perfect with their back space, I have emailed someone that's selling a set to check. And going by the member on here with that nice white XJ they should fit after taking to the centre hole.

junglejuice 15-06-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee (Post 1580856)
All can be addressed, but finding rims bigger than 15'' in diameter is more of a problem, hence when I read using Ford Territory rims and modding the center hole I just had to ask the questions on here. Wheels spacers might have to be used and probably would burn out the Bunnings dremel tool, but more than willing to put up with all that in the search for a taller rim, I like the steel Territory rims, but living far East Gippsland the cost of sourcing rims becomes tricky budget wise, but found a set of alloy Territory wheels locally. I drove into town and asked the local tyre joint, and the bloke nearly had a heart attack when I asked him about fitting 16'' or 17'' rims to the Cherokee. So did a search on here to see what others had done.

Yes all can be addressed but flex limitations will apply if you plan to run wider tyres with any kind of lift...