AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ABS lights and traction lights all come on (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162079)

RichieJKU2011 11-03-2024 02:06 PM

ABS lights and traction lights all come on

So here i am driving out of my garage in my 2011 JK Wrangler and on comes the Orange traction light ABS etc.
this has come on below briefly when a wheel senses a lost sync. but this time the lights stay on ! i have a unot to detect eroor codes .. nothing detected ,,
car drives fine with no other issues .. some say its a wheel alignment ? yes/no ..

Clarky 11-03-2024 06:00 PM

Wheel speed sensor.
And you have a shit code reader.

RichieJKU2011 12-03-2024 11:42 AM

yes there were TPS errors i can see those .. wonder how to reset ?

i tried resetting all ECUs but came back

i actually have the TPS warning sensor turned off - so this erros seem to over ride

RichieJKU2011 12-03-2024 11:43 AM

ohhh i noticed to you said Wheel speed sensor .. different thing .. how do i clear that code ?

RLT 13-03-2024 03:01 AM

Could also be that a wheel bearing is on its way out throwing up codes related to the sensor.
If so you can disconnect it and drive but will leave to lights on the dash until you fix the issue.
Got that on mine around 120,000Km's

Banshee 13-03-2024 08:37 AM

Resetting will depend on the code reader you have, and it's software. What sort do you have?

I have 2 OBD2 plugins. One is a basic eBay one that just reads codes & data with generic software, eg. Torque. The other was a much more expensive one (Bluedriver, ~$100 at the time?) which can read and reset codes through it's Android, (and presumably iOS), app. Yours may not have those features.

From memory, I got the Bluedriver because the cheaper ones didn't read the ABS module for codes & I was chasing a fault in that. I had a bad sensor & was trying to figure out which one it was. There are others that can do the same things, some may be cheaper now.

As for the lights, is your steering wheel centred when you are driving in a straight line? It's normal to be a few degrees off due to road camber, (+/- up to 4 degrees for me), but too far will make the ABS computer think you are cornering, but the yaw sensor will tell it you aren't, & that signal conflict can trigger the lights as well. Which is why wheel alignment is the first suspect. It's quick & easy to check for free, like that.

Clarky 14-03-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieJKU2011 (Post 1695601)
ohhh i noticed to you said Wheel speed sensor .. different thing .. how do i clear that code ?

An app like J scan will tell you which sensor is faulty and once you replace it the code will clear itself.

J-scan will also clear codes.

RichieJKU2011 25-03-2024 04:42 PM

i have J - Scan

but ill get a wheel alignment done .. anyway and ill check the wheel bearings too

RichieJKU2011 30-03-2024 12:56 PM

Hi all i cleared all codes with the J scan ,, great but came back.. says implausible wheel distance or something,, so its a wheel speed sensor? how do i know which one and are they east to replace?

RichieJKU2011 31-03-2024 09:39 AM

ok so here are the actual codes from the J Scan

U1418 Power Train control - implausible right wheel distance signal
C1035 Antilock Breaks - right rear wheel speed comparative performance

so clearly its the right rear wheel speed sensor? anyone know how to replace that ?

whats the point of having all these sensors if its the sensor that breaks first ?

Banshee 31-03-2024 05:44 PM

It can be removed from the back of the assembly. The cable plugs in to the sensor on the back of the drum, behind the axle and then it's (I think) an 8mm bolt that holds it secure.

Personally, I'd pull both & swap them over to see if it becomes left side fault. That will confirm that it is the sensor, not the wiring or connector that is the issue. (Unless the right drum is full of mud or something?)

eksjay 03-04-2024 08:41 PM

Low and behold, it happened to me too over the long weekend while reversing out of the driveway. As soon as I tried to accelerate in drive, there was a hesitancy and the car braked on its own in fits and starts.

I am getting the mechanic to check codes and look into it. I think it might be a speed sensor front drivers side.

I love my JKU (2016), and I get how the speed sensors work in tandem with the ABS for traction control. I wish I could switch it off until the mechanic has dealt with it.

If this happens in the middle of bugger all, what is the fix or work around? (assuming it's not something simple like a fuse or a sensor with caked on dirt or leaking axle oil)

My 95XJ Sport -No abs, but my traction comes from FT 4WD - is my daily driver again until the JKU gets sorted.

RLT 03-04-2024 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1695768)
Low and behold, it happened to me too over the long weekend while reversing out of the driveway. As soon as I tried to accelerate in drive, there was a hesitancy and the car braked on its own in fits and starts.

I am getting the mechanic to check codes and look into it. I think it might be a speed sensor front drivers side.

I love my JKU (2016), and I get how the speed sensors work in tandem with the ABS for traction control. I wish I could switch it off until the mechanic has dealt with it.

If this happens in the middle of bugger all, what is the fix or work around? (assuming it's not something simple like a fuse or a sensor with caked on dirt or leaking axle oil)

My 95XJ Sport -No abs, but my traction comes from FT 4WD - is my daily driver again until the JKU gets sorted.

Had exactly same symptoms on mine whilst entering the forest a few years back
Managed to get to some tarmac and called the AA
Plugged in a scanner drove around which highlighted front nearside speed sensor at fault.
Temporary fix was to unplug said connector, protect connection from mud, with what looked like a mini condom :roll: secure the wire and I re-joined the group back in the forest with all the appropriate lights 'on the dash', minus the random braking issues.
However, it wasn't the speed sensor, it ended up being a worn wheel bearing, which didn't show any obvious symptom's, except a couple of weeks earlier when driving on tarmac the lights flickered on then went off.

eksjay 04-04-2024 12:43 PM

Vehicle was examined/scanned by mechanic.

Driver side rear wheel speed sensor: dirty.

Sensor was cleaned, fault cleared.

Bank account: emptied.

I have to find a u tube video on how to clean these sensors before another one happens and I take out a second mortgage.

RLT 05-04-2024 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1695774)
Vehicle was examined/scanned by mechanic.

Driver side rear wheel speed sensor: dirty.

Sensor was cleaned, fault cleared.

Bank account: emptied.

I have to find a u tube video on how to clean these sensors before another one happens and I take out a second mortgage.

Rear ones just need to be brushed of any debris.
Cant remember if you can access with the wheel on or not, but I usually give them a wipe when servicing the rear brakes.

eksjay 07-04-2024 07:05 PM

They're ba-ack!!! Re: ABS and Traction Control lights.

Will have to see what the scanner says this time.

If found to be the rear driver side wheel again, I guess it can be swapped with a sensor from another wheel and if the fault follows the sensor then that will confirm a new sensor is needed.

Are all speed sensors on the market the same or should I stick with Mopar?

RLT 07-04-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1695816)
They're ba-ack!!! Re: ABS and Traction Control lights.

Will have to see what the scanner says this time.

If found to be the rear driver side wheel again, I guess it can be swapped with a sensor from another wheel and if the fault follows the sensor then that will confirm a new sensor is needed.

Are all speed sensors on the market the same or should I stick with Mopar?

I just stick with the Mopar.
Rear ones weren't expensive. Bought a couple a few years back when getting the rear hand brake units replaced as they were badly rusted, in-case the originals got damaged, but just reused the old ones as I new they worked.

eksjay 08-04-2024 06:18 PM

Thanks RLT, I will stick with Mopar. Will buy 2 of them as it might be a chore to order again when another speed sensor packs it in.

eksjay 18-04-2024 09:44 PM

Okay, finally a new sensor installed (drivers side rear wheel), computer was reset and traction control/abs warning lamps are no longer illuminated.

Have driven it a few days, and the JKU Abs/traction control is functioning as it should.

RLT 19-04-2024 12:52 AM

All good then
Thanks for reporting back as many don't.

Banshee 23-04-2024 09:42 AM

Good to see you got it sorted!