AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   DPF regen (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161680)

junglejuice 30-07-2023 07:21 PM

DPF regen

Hi all,

I am new to the whole diesel thing having always owned petrol cars until now but we recently bought a '14 Overland and was wanting to find out more about the operation of the DPF regen, things like how do I tell when it does it?
Does it do it automaticall?
How often should it occur?

The car has only done 74000kms and the inside of the tailpipes look brand new....

TIA...

FARWEST 30-07-2023 09:25 PM

Regens are done automatically.....those on here with scan tools will be able to give you all the info your after....welcome to the forum.....ENJOY !

drover 31-07-2023 06:59 AM

Yep, it happens on its own, if you do more than drive to local shops it will all happen without any drama, its the short little trips, lots of idling that clog things up and give you grief........... depending on driving a burn can happen from 80 to 300 kms, temps in the Oven are around 600c so don't park in long grass ever, that applies for all cars with DPFs, use of the wrong oil can cause problems, at the moment a 5W40 diesel oil of CJ4/CK4/C3/E9 is the current spec to keep bearings and DPF happy, full syn or semi syn isn't an issue so long as it meets the specs and some oil sites refer to the wrong grade, the spec is the important bit.

The burn is automatic and is activated when the Oven is at a certain level of crud, ideally a weekly highway run above 80kph of over 30 mins will achieve a good burn, no need to have high revs or hold it down a gear as the burn takes place in the oven by either extra fuel dumped into the system so it ignites in the oven or on a good long run it will complete a burn without needing the extra fuel..........

If everything is working properly you won't know its happening, the engine temps stay normal, if your looking the fuel rate may increase for a short period ....... I look at the data sometimes with Alpha OBD

layback40 31-07-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARWEST (Post 1693086)
Regens are done automatically.....those on here with scan tools will be able to give you all the info your after....welcome to the forum.....ENJOY !

Hey FARWEST, JJ has been on AJOR for nearly 20 years longer than you. He needs no welcome!!
Maybe welcome back? He did venture to the dark side & had something non jeep for a while! But he never really left. Bit like "Hotel California" ~ "you can checkout but never leave"!
He is a member of the 10,000 posts club!

FARWEST 31-07-2023 11:01 AM

My heart felt sorrow for his venture to 'the darkside'....may peace joy and jeepfulness fill your soul with rejuvenated pleasure....sorry for not reading your tag at the top of the post....Sunday night coldies....I completely understand if my excuse isnt accepted....ENJOY

drover 31-07-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARWEST (Post 1693095)
My heart felt sorrow for his venture to 'the darkside'....may peace joy and jeepfulness fill your soul with rejuvenated pleasure....sorry for not reading your tag at the top of the post....Sunday night coldies....I completely understand if my excuse isnt accepted....ENJOY

I would say welcome to a more enlightened group, one of Laughter, P Pulling, Slinging Off and general fun and games before dementia sets in and sometimes share great info on WK2 Grands ............... :cool::rolleyes::hammer: lots of X spurters on numerous subjects.:lol::lol::lol:

FARWEST 31-07-2023 12:16 PM

I will never claim to have enough knowledge of these technological marvels....only have some spanner skill which doesnt fix much on these 'module controlled' masterpieces.
As a sideline Drover....still havnt had to open that wsm disc you sent me just after purchase....should never tempt the 'cosmos' but fingers are definitely crossed.
On another recent thread from brother Grippy my research pre-purchase didnt relay the inbiult factory 'bastardry' involved in an intake clean on pre'14 models....oh dear