AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Power source for accessories? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151677)

SouthernComfort 30-12-2017 07:35 AM

Power source for accessories?

Can anyone tell me of a convenient power source that I can easily tap into for powering accessories? At the moment I need to install the cable for my caravan's rear view camera, so a power feed (for the monitor) somewhere around/under the dash area would be ideal, but needs to be ignition switched not full time live...

Notso 30-12-2017 08:13 AM

On my GC 2015 model the Cigarette lighter in the dash is Switched on/off with ignition. The one in the centre console armrest is permanently on.

SouthernComfort 30-12-2017 08:31 AM

Thanks for that Notso, appreciate your reply.

What I'm really after is a positive wire that I can solder a permanent connection to. The cable will stay in place as it's designed to be "hard wired" as opposed to plugged in.

Taprod 30-12-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notso (Post 1626749)
On my GC 2015 model the Cigarette lighter in the dash is Switched on/off with ignition. The one in the centre console armrest is permanently on.

Great to know

nrb1748 03-01-2018 08:44 PM

There are not a lot of options to pick up 12 volts via ignition, but I tapped into the torch charger in the back cargo area. The cig lighter on the opposite side could be used and can be changed between on all time time or ignition at the fuse box under the bonnet.

Regards

nrb1748

desertman 03-01-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrb1748 (Post 1626982)
There are not a lot of options to pick up 12 volts via ignition, but I tapped into the torch charger in the back cargo area. The cig lighter on the opposite side could be used and can be changed between on all time time or ignition at the fuse box under the bonnet.

Regards

nrb1748

How does one do this?

Cheers,

DM

nrb1748 08-01-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertman (Post 1626987)
How does one do this?

Cheers,

DM

Hi DM,

Not sure which part you are asking about - tapping into the torch charger - or changing the fuse position? Clarify please.

Regards

nrb1748

IXPLOR 01-02-2018 08:38 PM

Right hand rear accessory socket is by far the easiest to get to, forget the dash or console option I recently fitted a dual battery and had to literally remove most of the centre console and still couldn't access the loom for the outlet in the console itself.

In the rear just remove the bumper to carpet cover, seal, then pop off the right hand rear plastic trim to access the harness

Numb Thumbs 02-02-2018 05:53 AM

I took the easy way out...

I just got a cig socket double adaptor - one with the two sockets on short wires - and put it in the socket in the centre console. I then ran a cig plug lead out through a small hole I made in the back of the console and plugged it in too one of the two sockets. It is connected to a fuse block which runs the UHF, six tyre TPMS, phone charger, 7" Samsung tablet I run OziExplorer on, etc.

I still have a socket available in the console.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)