AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My Rear Bar for XJ (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75595)

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:01 PM

My Rear Bar for XJ

4 Attachment(s)
Well, after some inspiration from the well known members of XJs, I decided to fab some stuff. So far I have done the fron bar, and a steering brace. I didn't take many photos before.

This time I have started on a rear bar with tyre carrier. I have been working on this for the past month when I get time on weekends (not much), but have been too lazy to post pics and info.

I have researched a lot of other bars, both mass manufactured and custom, and hopefully have come up with something that will work and looks ok.

All the steel used has been bought as offcuts from the local steel merchant, so some of the sizes I wanted got substituted.

List of materials:
Main section 150x100x4mm 2mL
75x75x6mm angle 2mL
75x5mm bar 2mL
65x35x3mm 2mL
50x50x3mm 1mL
Tube 62mm OD 50mm ID x 6mm. 150mm L (free from work)
Bush to go inside machined from nylon (done by work)
120mm x 20mm HT bolt and nut x1
50mm x 14mm HT bolts, nuts and washers x6

Used both arc and mig to weld depending on thickness.
Pics: (all over the place)

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:08 PM

More pics

4 Attachment(s)
Ok here are some more pics.

I have used angle in place of the old straps with a bigger nut and bolt. I also have a Hayman Reese towbar to go under. Can't believe how thin the metel is in XJs

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:11 PM

More

4 Attachment(s)
For the main bar, I cut out an 80mmx80mm section, and after adding a reinforcement plate where bolt will hold the tyre carrier, reversed it and welded in.

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:17 PM

More

4 Attachment(s)
You can see from the photos that I have made plates to go where the original mounts to, so 8 bolt plus 6 larger size to replace the old . Had to cut out a fair bit of metal to fit in angle. I also welded the angle both sides before welding in reversed section, so should be strong enough.

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:22 PM

And more

3 Attachment(s)
I will keep adding photos of up till today. Some bad photos of my welding as well. I did my tickets about 20 years ago, so had to try and relearn it all as I really have not welded since then.

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:27 PM

Photos

4 Attachment(s)
Got a fair few to go. This is like a post to myself LOL. You can see the white bush. This will be the bearing for the carrier. inside the tube with a 20mm bolt to hold it all. I wanted something that was not obtrusive. Originally I wanted to used a stub axle like so many others, but dodn't want to have to put in other lights etc.

XJKEE 08-03-2008 06:32 PM

Angles

4 Attachment(s)
I have tried to put a bit of shape into this bar and maintain departure angles. It doesn't stick out any further than the stock one. I have lso cut off the bottom rear cnr and at this stage only tacked the plate on. This is actually 5mm instead of 4mm. Was all they had. I think it will be ok.