AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   VM TD2.5 Electrical, running problem (Local garages cant help) Please Help (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129020)

Elfin 29-10-2013 06:21 PM

VM TD2.5 Electrical, running problem (Local garages cant help) Please Help

Hi All

I have a VM TD2.5 XJ 1995 which i havnt had a problem with until now....

When i go to start up, turn key on and nothing happens - no glow plug light, all clocks drop below 0, so you fire it up and it just rattles like mad as if there isnt any oil (but thats been checked). You can turn off and turn key back on and if your lucky dash lights up, all clocks come alive, fire up and runs sweet like usual.

The problem is completly random and sometimes even happens while im driving, clocks drop out and rattle starts for 20secs or so and returns back to normal

This is driving me insane as sometimes this on off procedure works but its becoming worse and worse and is now to the point where its completly 50/50 if it will run right or not. (if it dosnt run right i take something else to work as i HATE driving it - it sounds like its tearing its self appart)

Some one mentioned it could be the ignition barrel & somone else mentioned it could be the ECU underbonnet having dirty connections or giving up?

Please any advise will be fantastic.

layback40 29-10-2013 06:42 PM

There is no where near enough detail to give much help.
You could start with what part of the world you are in. Some problems are specific to cars sold in certain locations.
It does sound as though its electrical. though the running noise is very unusual.
Have you done a scan for fault codes? I think you can do it with your mileage indicator on a 95.
The advice from "some one" is probably useful, who ever or where ever they may be.
normally when people first post they post into the new members thread & say a little about their jeep etc.

cheezel 29-10-2013 07:32 PM

Hi Elfin, welcome :)

My suggestion would be simply to check, clean and reseat: battery terminals, fuses & grounds. I'd also ask how the battery is going as if its on its way out can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Can't see how that would cause your noise though.. Its not the catalytic converter stuffed up is it? I'd suggest getting an exhaust shop to take a look see perhaps and verify all good & no broken mounts etc.

Plenty of knowledgeable folk on here that will help you get to the bottom of it in sure.

Cheers.

murray 29-10-2013 08:54 PM

diesels don't have cats
I suggest pull dash cluster and clean pins on cluster with a soft brass brush

mud_slut 29-10-2013 11:03 PM

VM TD2.5 Electrical, running problem (Local garages cant help) Please Help

Also the batteries in the remote can cause this issue.

Elfin 30-10-2013 03:30 AM

Okay .. so from the top
Im from Jersey channel islands (just above europe) but being 9x5 miles really not much knowledge apart from a couple guys

I havnt had any faults read, but there arnt any check engine lights or anything appearing.

im pretty sure that its all linked,
If you can imagine turning on the key to 1 all lights should light up but only, abs, parking, appears. look at clocks and oil goes down below 0 mark (sometimes i would get to this stage and out of no where i would hear the "whine" from footwell area and all lights come on and oil moves to 0 mark, then start and all is perfect) okay going back next is start and RPM,MPH,OIL dont work (no check lights come on) and engine sounds terrible as if push rods gone or just out of oil (what i could imagine)(someone did say this could be timing being thrown out?)

Now sometimes i can be driving and out of no where the clocks drop out, noise starts but no real lose of power then a few seconds later all's back on and fine again without me doing anything.
so i dont think the noise is an exhaust issue.

I have just pulled all fuses (engine & cabin),relays and batt terminal cleaned and replaced .. also removed connector block to ECU in engine bay cleaned and replaced but to no joy....

The batt is only 8 months old and is on tickle charge so seems fine too.
I havnt checked ignition barrel yet but i dont think this could be a cause personally, what do you guys think?

Deezelweazel 30-10-2013 03:39 AM

Island??? Rust and corrosion???
Ground problem in the instrument cluster? I agree with Murray.
This would be where I would look first.