AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Race Support Truck (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69224)

maddog 26-06-2007 09:55 AM

Race Support Truck

So I got sick of trying to fit everything we needed into the WJ and Car trailer combination I've been using for a year and a half now. Decided it was time to step up and buy a support truck.

Bought a Mitsubishi FK417 with a pantech on the back. It's got a 7.5L diesel motor. I had a bullbar, 3mm flat steel floor and additional 200L (total 400L capacity) tank installed by the yard when I bought it. The pantech is 6.2m long, 2.4 wide and 2.4 high. Overall the truck stands at 3.8m tall.

I'll be building a small mobile workshop in the back with storage for tools and parts. Will be driving it to events and possibly sleeping in the back of it as well when the buggy is out of it.

Here's a pic of the truck as I bought it

On the weekend we started making a bench and some ramps for it.

Will post some more pics of the completed bench w/ vices, the roll cab tool box and some lighting and other bits and pieces.

Gildo 26-06-2007 01:21 PM

Well thats not farting around!
Onboard genny?
Bigass compressor?
Fold down bunks?
A/C heating?
Slide out BBQ under the pan?
Hot & cold running water?
Looks like a bigger project than the buggy!

maddog 26-06-2007 01:27 PM

It'll be a progressive thing.. Initially we're just installing tie down points for the buggy, a workbench with vice, tool box(s) some wall storage, 12v power points and 12v lighting in side the pantech and some 12v spotlights outside it.

Phase 2 involves installing a generator and fitting the 240v compressor I already have. May consider a shower in one corner. We discussed fitting 6 bunk beds, but it's more hassle than it's worth.. Just roll out a foam matress on the floor of the truck and we're good to go.

Won't be having AC/heating in the pantech either, although I looked at some refridgerated units which would make summer events rather cool 8-)

the BBQ isn't something I'd thought of, but it's a great idea! might look into how easy it would be to put something on rails.

MR EXTREME JEEP 26-06-2007 02:04 PM

You are going to be a very popular camp site me thinks at your next events. I can see it now....
"Workshop hire available. Reasonable rates." :mrgreen:
Nice work MD.

Gildo 26-06-2007 04:55 PM

Wont be an eski at your site, might be a LARGE drinks fridge!

resident e 27-06-2007 11:47 AM

what about a diff locker out back. i'll hate to see you get stuck at a camp site when it rains.

maddog 27-06-2007 12:07 PM

Yeah it's an idea.. when eventually I re-gear it I'll look into lockers to see if there's one available for it. It's a fairly large diff though, so not sure if anyone makes something that big.

In the mean time it has some pretty big recovery points on it should I need to pull it out.