AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Death wobbling piece of s#$t (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88464)

J.. 31-07-2009 06:29 PM

Death wobbling piece of s#$t

Had the death wobbles kick in about 2 weeks ago, and its got worse every day since. Official complaint went into Jeep dealer to Chrysler a week ago... heard nothing from them.

Had real trouble keeping it on the road tonight on the way home. Whole front of the thing shakes violently when it kicks in. It's not the lift, its not the syspension geometry.

Did a search but didnt find what I was expecting to read. Who else has this problem and have you taken it up with Chrysler? I'll be on the blower first thing monday morning making every threat to them I can come up with. Our cars a daily driver and the Mrs. drives it to work every day. She's now refusing to drive it. Scares the shit out of her.

Please dont tell me about tightening this and checking the angle of that. It's more than that.

OIIIO 31-07-2009 06:33 PM

What lift?
What other changes have you made?

Hard to diagnose with the above rant:rolleyes:

lovemewrangler 31-07-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.. (Post 993766)
Please dont tell me about tightening this and checking the angle of that. It's more than that.

haha youve checked everything have you?

ill put my virtual money on the panhard rod joint, busted or worn... what size lift you running?

DizzyDi 31-07-2009 06:42 PM

Hi J,

I got super severe dw after installing a lift, new steering dampner, wheels & tyres etc and I know you don't want to hear this, but it really is a process of elimination.

Re threatening the Dealership, that will put them off side instantly and, if you've done mods, they'll wipe their hands of any problems you're having instantly, which they're legally entitled to do. Far better off to save yourself the grief & listen to the fellas around here ;)

wranglertj 31-07-2009 06:42 PM

i second the above. There must be something out of alignment or loose to cause it

watty 31-07-2009 06:52 PM

hey mate ,
mine is stock as a rock , but i hit a hawk at 120klms and have had the wobbles ever since. I just have to replace the steering damper(hopefully) as it was damaged from a bird strike , go figure ? anyhow hope this fixes it otherwise it is just a process of elimination, got an email from someone about toe in etc. at work at the moment , but look up steering damper in the forum and it should be there , if not let me know and i will pass the info on
cheers

Wooders 31-07-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.. (Post 993766)

Ok we won't........
But what WOULD you like us to tell you?
Death wobble has 4 fundamental possible causes:
  • Loose components
  • Worn/Damaged components
  • Incorrect Wheel balance
  • Incorrect alignment.
And unfortunately the only way to identify what the cause is to test and eliminate each component by component.....Although that being said there are a few more common culprits.