AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Need help Dana 30 ball joint issue (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141331)

Mudmonster 14-10-2015 03:05 PM

Need help Dana 30 ball joint issue

So the jeep failed rego today for the bottom left ball joint, when you jack the car up the ball joint is sliding down In the housing on the diff end so it looks like the hole is flogged out, has anyone had this happen? Can it be fixed? Or do i need a new diff?
I'm strapped for cash and can barely afford to pay the rego as it is, so any ideas would be great.

The ball joint aren't that old and the had to be pressed in

murray 14-10-2015 04:32 PM

Clean with precleaner then loctite supa retaining compound

sfedek 14-10-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudmonster (Post 1553279)
So the jeep failed rego today for the bottom left ball joint, when you jack the car up the ball joint is sliding down In the housing on the diff end so it looks like the hole is flogged out, has anyone had this happen? Can it be fixed? Or do i need a new diff?
I'm strapped for cash and can barely afford to pay the rego as it is, so any ideas would be great.

The ball joint aren't that old and the had to be pressed in

Swap the whole knuckle from your ute build mate to save your $$$$'s for now.

Eddy

Mudmonster 14-10-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfedek (Post 1553299)
Swap the whole knuckle from your ute build mate to save your $$$$'s for now.

Eddy

It's the diff end, not the knuckle bit.

sfedek 14-10-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudmonster (Post 1553310)
It's the diff end, not the knuckle bit.

Bugger, Sorry mate.

Eddy

You wouldn't have 2 x spare outer axles for the Dana 30 would you?

ozjeepster 14-10-2015 07:23 PM

Most ome Balljoints are smooth skin on the body that gets pressed into the C , try a set of Alloy USA or Teraflex or Synergy Joints they have a splined body so they bite hard into the C , Because each time you press out and then press in a Joint the hole in the C expands a a tiny fraction which eventually ends in a problem like yours this is why splined Joints were developed . You could try a Speedy sleeve on the lower Joint as a temp remidy , i havnt done it but iv hear of it being done .

OIIIIIIIO

layback40 14-10-2015 08:53 PM

MM, to get through your inspection, a sleeve is your best bet. Make sure the diff part is warm & the BJ is cold at the time of assembly.
After the inspection you could try a few beads of weld around the outside of the thing as this will shrink the hole a little. Such a repair would probable not be liked by an inspector.