AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   To rubicon or not? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153108)

bensbs 13-06-2018 04:22 AM

To rubicon or not?

So after returning from some time overseas I'm returning to Australia. I want to do some travelling of my own country instead of abroad. Big on the list are the Cape, Kimberely.

After a lot looking around - Jimny's, Navara's, Amaroks, Cruiser's. I think a Jeep is the best option for me and the mrs. Small enough for Sydney but capable.

I'm looking at 2 door JK's. A very low KM 2016 + model could be had for about 28-29K. Where as the 2013 / 2014 rubicons are about 33-34K. The auto ones are rare as hell.

So the questions is are the dual lockers and stronger axels worth it? Or better to stick with a standard and mod from there

LeighP 13-06-2018 05:49 AM

Personally, I think you'd have to look at the sort of environments you're thinking about....dirt roads and tracks don't need a Rubicon...the destinations you mentioned can be accessed with a Sport or Overland...that $4-5K goes a long way toward fitting a vehicle out for touring....bars, suspension, rack, tyres etc.

bensbs 13-06-2018 07:26 AM

Yeah I'm not into driving hard stuff just for the sake of driving hard stuff. Really I need something to get me places. Doesn't mean I don't want it to be capable though.

relwell 13-06-2018 08:00 AM

A Ruby will give you those beefy axles etc, but if not you're planning on really pushing it I would take that extra cash and fit your rig the way you'd like. You can always upgrade shafts later and still have money left over. A "regular" jeep is still capable, especially if you put some skid plates on it'll go most places - so I my $0.02 would be to get a good Sport and have some money for fitting/lifting/armoring, etc. Good luck!

Nanook 13-06-2018 08:11 AM

The heavier axles are good to have but not essential for the type of touring you are going to do.

As the others said, that extra money will totally fit out your Sport with plenty to spare for camping gear.

You'll be very surprised at where a standard Wrangler will take you without lockers.

eksjay 13-06-2018 01:48 PM

I have a 2016 JKU - save the money and do mods as you need them...

If you buy a used 2016 model, make sure the recalls have been sorted - driver and pax airbags...

A JKU could carry more on a long trip for two.

samft 13-06-2018 06:24 PM

I think the big point here is that you're looking at a 2 door.

The Rubi is probably worth it in a 4 door because the extra length may put you in situations where lockers are handy. the extra weight might requite the stronger front diff

the 2door is more agile and lighter, and generally less likely to get in a sticky situation. I think a 2door sport is probably close to as capable as a 4door rubi, is not more capable in some situations

4 door is better on sand dune descents where the length gives it more stability from twisting. other than that the 2door is generally more capable

other thing, which is a big one
I have heard the rubi low range is actually 'too low' for beach driving. Meaning most Rubi drivers favour high range on sand

I am in Perth so there is mostly sand, and Low range in a sport auto is pretty good!

Also, FYI I don't think the Rubi lockers work in high range (?)
After market lockers (if you ever fit them will work whenever you want)

Tyvokka 14-06-2018 12:21 PM

To Rubi for sure

eksjay 14-06-2018 02:06 PM

I dont want to digress here, because you are looking only at JKs, but have you ever considered a TJ Rubi???

I have seen these things done up on Davis Autosports Youtube videos, and they look incredible! I want one.

As a two door Wrangler, the TJ looks the goods, although the 2 door JK is definitely bigger and can carry more on a long trip.

WHHEMI 14-06-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1635299)
I dont want to digress here, because you are looking only at JKs, but have you ever considered a TJ Rubi???

I have seen these things done up on Davis Autosports Youtube videos, and they look incredible! I want one.

As a two door Wrangler, the TJ looks the goods, although the 2 door JK is definitely bigger and can carry more on a long trip.

You would have to import one, the TJ Rubi was never available in Australia.

Nanook 14-06-2018 02:21 PM

As much as I loved my TJ, I would never recommend one for a long trip away.

In the bush or on the sand they are more fun than the JK but there is no way I'd want to drive one any great distance especially when full of gear, not that you can fit much in them even with the rear seats removed.

Turismo07 14-06-2018 02:46 PM

JK Rubi front diff is not stronger, housing is the same as the sport models. Only thing stronger are the ring and pinion in the D44 vs the D30, but the D30 is not the weakest point in the front end. Its the axle/diff housing itself which bends under hard offroading. Rubi or Sport, the front axle needs the same strengthening anyway.

For what you want to do, there is nothing wrong with the Sport's D30 front diff.

The rear diff differences is negligible.

The other Rubi bits are nice though, but may not be useful to you...

Elec sway bar disco (a sport can be optioned to have this as well), but these also prove to be problematic after they've been drowned and/or exposed to the elements, some say are more trouble than they are worth and swap back to a manual setup like you would have on the Sport.

4:1 low range ratio, great low speed technical stuff like rock crawling, not great for anything that is medium speed like beach driving - as 4lo is too slow (with engine rpms too high and unnecessarily reving) or 4high is too fast (with engine rpms too low and lugging the engine). So the typical Jeep low ratio of 2.72:1 (which is already lower than most competitors) is quite often perfect for most offroad conditions.

eksjay 14-06-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1635301)
As much as I loved my TJ, I would never recommend one for a long trip away.

In the bush or on the sand they are more fun than the JK but there is no way I'd want to drive one any great distance especially when full of gear, not that you can fit much in them even with the rear seats removed.

I recently did a 2000km round trip in my JKU and although quieter than my XJ, I found the seats uncomfortable compared to the stock pre update XJ ones.

Are the JK seats more comfortable than TJ?

Nanook 15-06-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1635305)
I recently did a 2000km round trip in my JKU and although quieter than my XJ, I found the seats uncomfortable compared to the stock pre update XJ ones.

Are the JK seats more comfortable than TJ?

I've done some big trips and put in some big hours in my JKU and did it easily.

The seats are definitely better than in the TJ. My major issue with the TJ is not that it was uncomfortable to drive but it was a lot nosier and I found that it wore me out quicker. After a only a couple of hours on the road I was knackered.

Then again, it might just be that I'm getting old :eek:

eksjay 15-06-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1635328)
I've done some big trips and put in some big hours in my JKU and did it easily.

The seats are definitely better than in the TJ. My major issue with the TJ is not that it was uncomfortable to drive but it was a lot nosier and I found that it wore me out quicker. After a only a couple of hours on the road I was knackered.

Then again, it might just be that I'm getting old :eek:

Yes, it is funny that a JKU is quieter.... than something...

YamahaDOC 15-06-2018 07:09 PM

The BLD works exceptionall well, but lockers are still better. They are beneficial even in moderate terrain as they let you slow down for better control, and makes it easier on the vehicle. I have a sport and I’m waiting for the JL to make sure I don’t want one before spending money on the JKU. I’m planning on lockers, and since I’m there a re-gear, and might as well upgrade the front axle too. It adds up quick, so if you’re not planning to mod much and the price difference is what you say go for the rubi. If you are planning on taking off-roading to another level above touring I’d go the sport and build with gears, lockers and axle housing. It will end up costing a bit more than a rubi but will be a better and stronger vehicle.

bensbs 15-06-2018 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully I'll be posting back in here soon as an owner of a new Jeep.

shep 16-06-2018 07:36 AM

I am a bit late to the thread however I would buy a sport and put the extra cash
into an auxiliary fuel tank, bullbar, winch and camping gear or at least that is
what I did and I use the jk for remote touring. Only thing is I prob should have
bought a 4 door for the extra room and the extra 30L of fuel they can carry over
a 2 door before needing jerry cans.