AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Clean that Intake Body - might improve your performance (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152822)

glend 08-05-2018 02:42 PM

Clean that Intake Body - might improve your performance

A big problem with CRDs is that the EGR system and the crankcase ventilation system combine to make a particularly nasty black mud that coats the intake body, year after year. The best prevention is to: 1- stop oil mist being injected from the crankcase back into the intake. This is easily stopped with a Provent system, and its a great investment imho. I have run one since the first week after I picked up my new CRD back in 2007. During that time it has collected and drained many litres of oil.
2 - stop EGR soot from being pushed back into the engine intake. This is harder to defeat, but an effective way is to run the GDE tune, which deletes EGR. The tune turns off the valve, and only opens it to blow off over boost that might harm the turbo vanes. Now the GDE tune used to do this, but i suspect they may have had to stop it in the US market, maybe here to. In any event I have it on mine and it works. Another method, or hack, is to block the EGR pipe at the exhaust manifold flange, which is pretty easy to do. Combined these two mods will prevent your intake body, and intercooler, from being coated and clogged.
However, in old CRDS that have never had these measures applied, it is highly likely that they have serious restriction in the intake body, and oil sitting in the intercooler. Has anyone here pulled their intake apart to inspect and clean it?
I would like to see a Dino test to compare a clean engine with a clogged one.

cmohr 08-05-2018 03:13 PM

I recently pulled the Samco Hoses off the old engine, and they were nice a clean, hardly any residue in there, I had originally unplugged the vacuum hose that operated the EGR in the 2.5lt, but later, with the GDE tune, didn't have to worry about it. I didn't have the provent, but I did have the crankcase vent going into the airbox, but to the main intake area, before the filter, not, on the inlet pipe after the filter as it originally was, I used to get a fair build up of oil in the bottom of the airbox, and would clean it out every now and then, during air filter changes normally.

I haven't checked the hoses ect in the 2006 model, but do suspect a fair amount of oil residue to be in there, will do it soon as I want to get the Samco hoses on. If I see a lot of oil, I will look into removing and cleaning the intercooler, and see what i can do with the manifold, if anything. Will also clean the sensors ect too.

KKnut 08-05-2018 03:22 PM

This topic has my interest. I’ve got two diesels that I’d like to clean up and then block off the EGR, so any advice in regards to cleaning would be appreciated.

glend 16-05-2018 05:10 PM

Good radiator shops can clean intercoolers out, and btw get it pressure tested (they had a weakness near the neck where the hose from the turbo enters and have been known to crack there).

I don't know much about the KK plumbing and EGR setup, so I can't offer much advice. Find out where your EGR take off is? IE, how does the exhaust gas get from the engine to the valve - on the kJ there is a pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold around the back of the engine to the EGR valve. The place to block on the KJ is in the flange clamp at the exahust manifold, a coin can do the job. However, this does not 'undo' years of damage done by EGR to the engine. I would not bother hacking a KK as old as yours, unless your prepared to do everything that is necessary to clean it up internally.

KKnut 16-05-2018 11:23 PM

Thanks Glend, actually my KK is petrol sadly but I’ve got a Ranger and Volvo I’d like to sort out while they’re still young. Was hoping there may be a common method to cleaning the EGR crap out, fairly sure I’ll find some pointers on YouTube. Cheers.