AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   WJ LSD - Dana44a question (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47416)

omaroo 24-01-2004 09:03 AM

WJ LSD - Dana44a question

Hi all

You have to excuse my ignorance a little here, as I've only had my WJ CRD for a month and a bit now (new to Jeep as a brand).

I was out with the lads from the SJC a couple of weekends ago up at Newnes. Great trip - had a ball thank you all :) I was turning the car around on a sandy patch to do a uey - at full lock.

I noticed that my inside rear was scrubbing like crazy as I turned around. I was under the impression that the WJ with the Dana44a had a fully open rear diff.... and therefore shouldn't display typical Limited Slip characteristics like scrubbing an inside tyre on full lock. My GQ Patrol did this all the time, as it really has one of the best limo's in the business.

Does this axle have or does it not have an LSD? I'm still surprised at how good this car is off road - up steep. shaley or rocky terrain - it hasn't stopped yet. Even when a front wheel is cocked in the air, and I presume a rear shortly afterwards.... it keeps going with a little extra right foot and a bit of judicious momentum...

Cheers guys

Chris

wrench 24-01-2004 02:59 PM

Sounds like you have quadradrive. Each diff centre has a vicous coupling that can transfer all the drive to the wheel with traction.Wish I had it as there aint much else available for these rigs.
David

omaroo 24-01-2004 03:42 PM

David

Hmm.... not that I paid for....

It says "Quadra-Trac" on the shifter console.... :shock:

Are the rear Dana diffs LSD by default... rather than Vari-Lock like on the Q-D fitted cars?

Cheers
Chris

billsta 26-01-2004 10:12 PM

it might eb a LSD of some sort. i ahve absolutly no idea.

why do you lift the rear of ya jeep up.. and spin the wheel and and find out?
if you have QD.... it should lock up after 3-5 full revs. (cant remember which, was told by the service manager who claim thats how they check it from the maunel)

if its a LSD.. it will do that LSD thing... :?

billsta 26-01-2004 10:15 PM

and if any WJer with QD are really games..
get 3 trolley jack and jack up 3 wheels and in theory, (if the QD ever works properly) you should eb able to drive in on one wheel..
(which i highly do not recommant anyone trying... sober or not)

omaroo 27-01-2004 05:17 AM

Cheers Billsta

The only reason I'm trying to find this out is that no matter what website I look on (i.e. "Chrysler" factory site) I can't get them to divulge whether or not the axle comes with some sort of LSD as standard.... or not.

I can't imagine that Chrysler would fit a totally open rear differential in a 4WD... (especially a Grand) by default.... Q-D or no Q-D. Totally open diffs just don't cut it any more in a competitive 4WD market.

billsta 27-01-2004 07:32 AM

i would presume you would have a LSD too.
but i found it hard to find out from the brochures i got off them as well
:shock: