AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   How do you guys get away with big lifts and insurance? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103231)

aydanrogers 04-02-2011 11:28 PM

How do you guys get away with big lifts and insurance?

Hi all, just a quick question as it racks my brain a fair bit. Im up here in good old brisbane and as our laws have it were only allowed minimal lifts due to our stupid bloody government. My question is as the title states, how do you guys get away with it. I just drove by a jk with a pretty big lift (and the let it go past me so i could see it again! :p ) and i am really curious as to how you guys can get insurance to pay up in the event of an accident. I don't yet own a jk but i am hoping to very soon be a proud owner of one, but im just not sure on how high i will go on the lift due to the problem with not being insured. can anyone shed some light on this subject or maybe your insurance company will insure a defectable vehicle? If so who are you with?

Dont get me wrong i love the look of a fully jacked up jk with 35" but im just not sure i would be brave enough to drive around knowing that in the event of an accident the insurance company will just turn around and say, "nope were not covering you because its not road worthy."

And yes i know there are other threads on here about this subject but no one is really clear on how you guys are getting around the system.

Cheers guys
Aydan

Yom 04-02-2011 11:32 PM

quite simply, we don't.

One guy on this forum has been declined any insurance after an accident due to his illegal modifications.

I am sure others have been too.

Usually though having a defective/unroadworthy/illegal vehicle does not cause you a problem unless the "issue" caused the accident to begin with. However after sighting your vehicle your insurance company may decide to not insure you anymore.

Lots of risks.

aydanrogers 04-02-2011 11:37 PM

im sure they could always pull the, oh your suspension has caused your car to brake at a more increased length causing the accident.

Yom 04-02-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydanrogers (Post 1163245)
im sure they could always pull the, oh your suspension has caused your car to brake at a more increased length causing the accident. what lift have you got yom?

2" Suspensionstuff ultra flexy coils and about to be some quality monotube shocks.

They can't pull the suspension/braking thing with the JK as it has bundled ESP/ABS/Brake Assist.

Larger tyres will be where they'd get you for an extended braking distance.

The less lift you have with a JK the less illegal the vehicle will be and you can fit 35's with very minimal lift and still have a very driveable and capable vehicle.

ie: as an example, you can fit flat flares or modify the standard ones, select a wheel with 4.75 to 4.5" back space measurement (BSM), fit 2" bumpstops and run 315/75r16 tyres which are a 35" with minimal scrubbing (may need to trim bits and pieces which is not illegal). Only issue with this particular style is severely reduced suspension uptravel. All comes down to the sort of 4wding you do though. 35's on a JK are pretty big and bring their own problems with the axles potentially bending, diff ratios being wrong, etc.

SharpWraX 04-02-2011 11:59 PM

My 4.5 lifted JK with other mods is insured with Shannons. All listed and fine.

Yom 05-02-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharparte (Post 1163250)
My 4.5 lifted JK with other mods is insured with Shannons. All listed and fine.

Different state though.

You might be able to register it and insure it in QLD but no chance of it being approved/roadworthied.

aydanrogers 05-02-2011 12:09 AM

when i get around to buying my jeep i would like to make it as legal as i possibly can. i would really hate it if i bout a 40K car and threw a couple of K's of accessories onto it just to be rejected on an insurance claim in the event of an accident. I will mos likely go down the route of getting a 2" lift an 33's. if you dont mind me asking how much was your suspension set up and would it go well with the 4 dr crd auto? which other suspension setups (2 inch) suit a crd 4 dr with bars and winch?