AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Budget xj tire carrier (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125769)

xj99 05-06-2013 03:47 PM

Budget xj tire carrier

5 Attachment(s)
built this yesterday and today using a parts list as follows.

2x rh M12 Rodends
2x 50mm long M12 female inserts
2m 3mm x 50mm x 25mm box
30cm 50mm id c channel
1/2" unf threaded rod
8mm drop pin i found lying around.

next time i will use the m16 rodends and some beefier metal and a different latch system. any ideas>?

Toff 05-06-2013 05:40 PM

Did you fit more bracing under the bumper or just weld it straight on the stock bar?

xj99 05-06-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toff (Post 1387484)
Did you fit more bracing under the bumper or just weld it straight on the stock bar?

i have welded straight on for the moment but will be removing the Bastard rear bar one weekend soon and bracing it internally and modding the design a bit.

with the tyre swung right out the end of the bar flexes slightly when you lean on it.

it could do with another diagonal brace from close to the hinge to the tyre mount.

but for my first effort and a saving of around $600 im more than happy

undecided 05-06-2013 07:27 PM

Great job. Did you deliberately locate the spare in the middle rather than to one side? The reason I ask is I thought if the tyre was toward one end then it would place less load on the mount

xj99 05-06-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undecided (Post 1387499)
Great job. Did you deliberately locate the spare in the middle rather than to one side? The reason I ask is I thought if the tyre was toward one end then it would place less load on the mount

I can move it right later if need be but I do like the look better with it in the centre , but yes much less flex if I mount it far right

xj99 12-06-2013 07:36 PM

Budget tire carrier

2 Attachment(s)
well now that the xj is off the road whilst waiting for an ac compressor pulley bearing to arrive I pulled off the tire carrier and strengthened it a fair bit. Then a visit to my blast unit and a coat of gunmetal hammer tone. Yes i know the weld quality leaves a bit to be desired but its functional.

rob-rock 13-06-2013 05:31 PM

hi nice work ,i'm in the process of building a swing myself
i want my to swing like yours on the drivers side for the ease of access and visibility when overtaking and reverse parking.
my question is
is there any danger when parked and standing with boot and swing open for a vehicle to clip the spare tyre slamming the swing shut and ruining my new t-shirt
is there a right or wrong way to mount the swing out in australia